Barclaycard £50 Credit for bad press

Options

Comments

• Just got 12 months 0% and a balance transfer of 6% for life for asking to close my account... win!!
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The_Boss wrote: »
    Tried this recently and got nowhere. I even asked for money. Best I could get was 0% on new purchases for a year.

That's a good deal.. If they offer me that on the way out I'll snap it
  • moshoodo1
    moshoodo1 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    wow, nice deal not bad at all
    Aqua Advance £ 9500 ( Settled ) | BC Platinum Card 25/25 £10500 | 24 studio £1950 | SimplyBe £1800 | Nationwide Flexplus A/C OD £800| Meaningless Noddles score= 3/5
  • leeroy2009
    leeroy2009 Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pah - standard offers like 0% and 6.9 for life are on my 2 accounts as standard every day of the week.

nice that you threatened to close your account and in turn they gave you offers that may save you money - but also make Barclaycard money lol.
  • alibabaxx
    alibabaxx Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Yep 0% on purchases for a year. Decided to keep as looking at buying flights in a few months. Annoyed me though that it took 15 minutes to even try and cancel the card after being passed to different departments and persuading to me to keep it :mad:.... no £50 though.
  • vns
    vns Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    starM wrote: »
    What is that 10500 points to be used on. I have World CC. MS

Freedom reward points by the sounds of it...worth £30 in vouchers (more at less desirable stores)
  • Money_Muppet
    Options
    Just had another £50 to stay. Worth pointing out I have paid interest in the distant past, but a recent 0% offer has just expired so I did a balance transfer to another card and called to close this account. Offered further 0% deals, cashback cards, and a permanent 10% standard interest rate on the card but wasn't interested. The guy asked me what I'd want to keep it open, so I told him I'd had £50 in the past, and that I'd want that to stay. Two minutes later and it's on its way. Twelve minutes on the phone well spent!
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised they give away £50 to the "Rate Tarts" (like me) who close accounts as soon as the promo rate has finished. Do they really think they're going to make it back off someone who switches accounts all the times?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • carousels
    Options
    Barclaycard are the only company I know that have such an aggressive customer retentions department. Talking to them is absolutely draining. Need to mention, I'm little bit of a pushover and I crumple when given the hard sell. I was offered £20 to keep my account open but declined as the thought of ringing back in a month or so and going through all that again was enough to make me feel ill.

Previously, when I cancelled my Vanquis, Halifax student card and MBNA, I never got such hassle. They cancelled it straight away.
  • seanjoe
    seanjoe Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    my wife and i closed our hsbc credit card account about 3-4 years ago, and just wanted to check if there was any ppi on it. when we entered our details, the announcement came up with our credit limit etc.....Does anyone else have this experience where you thought you closed the account, but it is still open?
    or is it open?
    thanks
    sean
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills