Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That sounds like a brilliant night for DD! :D Not so much for your poor budget though :eek:

I thought you might have been nursing a hangover this morning, not being so healthy that you were up and at the pool! Sorry, must give you more credit ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: did't drink enough to get a hangover due to the prices :eek: the whisky was for dds boyfriend.

Off to the cinema at lunch time as no college for ds2, going to see "you were never really here" Very pleased as I really fancied this and it was only on in central London last week and I was to lazy to make the effort :o it must be doing well if it's moved out to us.

Other good news is BOTH boys have agreed to go to york with us during the easter holidays :j anyone who may have read this diary may have noticed a running theme of me trying to take the kids away and them refusing to go :rotfl: I worked on the basis that they are 18 in a few months so can go with their friends- so they will need to know where it is, have a nose around to find the best places etc. It seems to have done the trick, Not sure about the budget though as it will cost a bit for the trains and a meal or two out, worth it for a holiday with my baby boys though :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Well I've had to concede that will will have to move the planned end date back a month to may 2019 :( on an already tight budget it will be too much pressure to pay for the extra bits which keep popping up - a trip to york with the boys, passports, extra treats on the kids birthdays (meals etc.) there is a limit as to how much can be squeezed from the food budget :o

I think it's better to build it all into the 15 month forcast rather than it all come undone when I pay for stuff not budgeted for. There will also be a monthly higher amount to live on which for the sake of an extra month may make life easier, it doesn't stop it being frustrating is close to the end mind.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One month isn't too bad! And you have to enjoy life with your family too.

Although I can imagine that is easier said than done when you are so close.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are so close now! Just over a year and it will all be done. I bet you can't wait:T
    November NSD's - 7
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow just over a year to the end is amazing!

I think you are doing the right thing, the MFW journey is all about balance and still enjoying your life. A trip away with your baby boys sounds like it will be lovely and Im impressed you managed to get them along :)

I cant resist some lovely flowers for the kitchen- really brightens my day, but Im sticking to the daffs too- gorgeous and bright and £1- cant complain really :heartpuls
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have become a bit obsessed about not moving the end date so far this year, lasted until march without moving it though :D

Off to the shops this morning, need to buy more gym leggings and have just ordered a retro "head" bag - anyone remember those? Black with mint trim from Amazon. Making the most of having more leeway on the budget this month already :rotfl:

Off to the gym at 1pm and determined to not overeat this week after a bad weekend :o I WILL be at goal weight by the kids' 18ths/ 21st in July, my vanity should help as they are making me feel very old being adults when I still feel like a teenager :eek:
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Off to the shops this morning, need to buy more gym leggings and have just ordered a retro "head" bag - anyone remember those? Black with mint trim from Amazon. Making the most of having more leeway on the budget this month already :rotfl:

I certainly do - Head was what most kids had for schoolbags when I was a young un - unless you were one of the rich kids who had visited the States and got a fancy Jansport one... Then the internet became a thing and you can buy whatever crap you fancy from around the world :D
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As im older than you guys, at my school the cool bag of choice was rucanor (had to Google spelling as I never had one, my pals all favoured donkey jackets and gas mask type haversacks which will tell you whether I was a cool kid or not :rotfl:)

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2018 at 8:25PM
    Options
    We used to have rucksacks (blue or creamy-beige) from Army & Navy stores - but change the straps so they were worn as a long shoulder bag. The bags were great for writing on (band names/ logos) and you could fray the side edge flaps and then plait them......

Come VIth form I think I just carried all my lever arch files in my arms :D

ETA: Head bags were more of a thing when I was in my early 20s - I remember having an ivory one to take my kit to work when I did step classes (remember those?!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure