How much do you spend on food?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think it's quite easy to spend £10 a day on food but that doesn't mean that do so all the time.

I probably spend between £25/30 per week on food but I do mean food - I wouldn't include cleaning stuff/animal food/toiletries/alcohol in the same category - neither would I include food and drink when out - that comes under entertainment.
    That's why I asked that poster what they were spending the £10 on.

Because if they are in the habit of buying a Starbucks coffee on the way into work plus a sandwich for lunch and ordering a pizza for dinner, it's quite possible that they can spend £10 per day on a regular basis.

Of course, if they spend £10 one day and the food they buy will last 4 or 5 days, that's a different thing entirely.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £20.94 pw, but that's for 2772cal/day, so for a more average 2500cal/day that would be £18.88 pw.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2016 at 12:51PM
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I eat lots of fish, i'd say at least 3 times a week. For lunch most days i'll do a cheese butty with some salad. I make soup in the slowcooker and most days have some at lunch then again at teatime. Just as an example i did a sausage curry overnight in the SC, lots of veges & lentils. I haven't added it up doubt it cost £3, and that's probably about 10 portions only need to add the rice. Similar thing when i make casserole in the SC. Most days breakfast is cereal, big bowl Weetabix; Bran Flakes; Wheat Bran & Dried Berries

What sort of fish do you eat that you can eat it three times a week yet still only spend £10 a week on food?

As someone else said, I could easily go out and spend £10 in a day on fresh ingredients when cooking a meal for two, especially if buying fresh fish. I find it extremely difficult to comprehend how anyone can possibly feed themselves on as little as £10 a week unless you eat only 20p packs of noodles for each meal.

ETA: I have no idea how much I spend on food per week as I don't break it down into separate categories. I know I spend somewhere in the region of £300-£400 a month on general groceries which includes everything from food & drink, household cleaning products to alcohol. It doesn't include personal toiletries as these are usually bought separately elsewhere. Nor does it include takeaways, maybe 2-3 times a month.

I cook everything from scratch, never buy processed ready meals. I batch cook and freeze at least twice a week to provide a good supply of home cooked meals for the freezer. My son often takes a few of these back to his digs after a home visit. And I enjoy good quality coffee every morning. No instant rubbish.

Maybe it would be easier to keep a diary of everything I eat/drink and cost it out on a daily/weekly basis as I'd also be interested to know how much I'm spending. I don't shop regularly so can't work it out that way. I buy almost everything from either Aldi, Amazon, Asda or the Co-op.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Just as an example i did a sausage curry overnight in the SC, lots of veges & lentils. I haven't added it up doubt it cost £3, and that's probably about 10 portions only need to add the rice.

Do you have the recipe?
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    Too much...about £120 a week for 5 people and 3 cats. That's food, drink toiletries cleaning etc and booze.
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    That's why I asked that poster what they were spending the £10 on.

Because if they are in the habit of buying a Starbucks coffee on the way into work plus a sandwich for lunch and ordering a pizza for dinner, it's quite possible that they can spend £10 per day on a regular basis.

Of course, if they spend £10 one day and the food they buy will last 4 or 5 days, that's a different thing entirely.

But if you buy something dear for your dinner (lamb chops/steak/crab etc) that'll easily take half of the tenner and £4/5 for everything else isn't all that much to spend unless you're on a really tight budget.

I certainly don't spend that every day but I do once in a while and could/would do so more often if I were better off.
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spent £118.30 in March on food this is for 2 adults and we had DGS age 3 for 1 week. I too cook everything from scratch and a lot is YS items I can get 2 pieces of cod or haddock at 77p, mince at 750g for £1.50. I purchased several joints of beef and gammon just before Christmas when prices were very good £3 and £5 a kilo these were cut up into smaller pieces and frozen. I've take up all the cheap veg over the Easter period anything that stores well has been put into paper bags and cool dark places. I've got loads of chutney and relish made and in the cupboard, I make my own jam from free damson's in September/October.
    So a savvy shopper can eat well for less. x
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I budget £25 per person per week.

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables which isn't particularly cheap. Frozen is much cheaper.

We also eat a portion of meat which is probably larger than recommended and that portion of meat is a quality cut of meat from (hopefully) a well cared for animal. That does not include frozen sausages with 27% pork (Iceland - 40 sausages 2kg - £2). We eat no less than 80% meat sausages current ones in fridge are Morrisons Signature Pork Sausages with 85% pork (6 sausages 400g - £3). We'll have 2 of them each for tea and 1 for breakfast another day. Free range chicken is much more expensive (£6 as opposed to £3 for a 1.5kg chook).

I can't see how anyone could eat for £1 per day.

So far today I've had bacon on toast (2 slices each) with a glass of juice and a cup of tea with milk and sugar for breakfast, a plum, a half a banana and a cup of tea for a mid morning snack, a half of a triple chicken sandwich, a half packet of crisps, a half bottle of Irn-Bru (Boots O2 meal deal - £1), half a dominoes personal pizza (O2 meal deal - £1) and today being Monday is one of cheapest days of the week.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    But if you buy something dear for your dinner (lamb chops/steak/crab etc) that'll easily take half of the tenner and £4/5 for everything else isn't all that much to spend unless you're on a really tight budget.

I certainly don't spend that every day but I do once in a while and could/would do so more often if I were better off.
    I agree with you.

That's why I'm interested in what veggie style would spend £10 a day on.

If it's something like you mention above, no big deal (as long as you can afford to buy lamb chops or steak or shellfish occasionally).

If it is Starbucks coffee, Pret-a-Manger sandwiches and King prawn kung po with rice, noodles and a side order of mushrooms and crispy seaweed, that's also no big deal (as long as he can afford it).

I was just interested to know more than the basic:
    What do you eat?

I could easily spend £10 in a day.
    so I asked what he ate.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 April 2016 at 2:31PM
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    We spend approximately £20 per person, well thats our average divided by four, obviously my wife and I consume more than our two children.

why "obviously" ?
    We have no idea how old your children are, or what they are eating . Your children could be drinking vast amounts of branded fizzy drinks , or eating large amounts of crisps chocolate & sweets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure