Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Your goals sound sensible and achievable SSG, good luck with achieving them :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh I’ll have to see if I can get that on catch up Cumbria! My mum always said rationing was good - no-one put on any weight and the diet was quite healthy as well! Always looks very unappealing to me! She did admit that the powdered egg she had to eat when she was in the RAF was pretty grim though!:rotfl:

She was in the forces though so she would be at least getting a reasonable diet even if it prevented an increase in weight. Actually post-war was the worse when if you didn't live in the country you were mostly mal-nourished. That is why most of us born before 1950 tend to be smaller than those born after - nothing to do with genetics, just to do with nutrition.

The worst was after meat rationing ended (worse than whilst it was in effect). My mother never took my younger sister meat shopping as she was a bit of a whinger,. I think she took me as a form of protection (she was a very goodlooking woman). She said that the nicer we were to the butcher the better the meat we would get, so smile at the butcher, we both did.

Actually people in the forces didn't put on weight because they were on a good diet, those who weren't were on a very bad diet, which was basically fat inducing and nutrition free.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your goals sound sensible and achievable SSG, good luck with achieving them :).

Thanks Hairy!
    badmemory wrote: »
    She was in the forces though so she would be at least getting a reasonable diet even if it prevented an increase in weight. Actually post-war was the worse when if you didn't live in the country you were mostly mal-nourished. That is why most of us born before 1950 tend to be smaller than those born after - nothing to do with genetics, just to do with nutrition.

The worst was after meat rationing ended (worse than whilst it was in effect). My mother never took my younger sister meat shopping as she was a bit of a whinger,. I think she took me as a form of protection (she was a very goodlooking woman). She said that the nicer we were to the butcher the better the meat we would get, so smile at the butcher, we both did.

Actually people in the forces didn't put on weight because they were on a good diet, those who weren't were on a very bad diet, which was basically fat inducing and nutrition free.

Re you mum and the butcher badmemory, I do remember my mum saying that my aunt used to flirt with the local butcher during rationing! And you can tell I was born post-1950 as I’m 5ft 9in!:D. Seriously though, on “The Step Back in Time” programme when the family were re-enacting the 50s, it was mentioned that 30% of the average family’s income went on food - which is quite a bit if you compare with the same today.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    SCRIMPY 2018 – PART QUATRE

FINANCIAL ORGANISATION

A couple of items on my list here:

· Sort Out Pensions – I have a final salary scheme from a previous employer, but also two small DCB schemes with other ex-employers, plus my current company's DCB scheme. I'm going to arrange transfer of the two small schemes into my current pension plan so that everything is tidy and under the same roof.

· Sort Out Tax – I received a notification from HMRC last year letting me know I hadn’t paid enough tax owing to benefits in kind at work. I haven't looked into this yet, but want to get on with it before the end of the tax year.

· Paperwork – sort out the pile that has grown sneakily in the last year and shred what's not needed and get files in order.

I'm also going to keep up with the surveys which I started doing last year.

Spends wise for the year I've got a few things to save up for – on the home front (which I reported yesterday) – also for trips away - I will be taking DD away at some stage for her birthday weekend and have a weekend away with a friend - but none have have been planned for properly yet.

Also I would like to get out for mores days out. I seemed to have slipped on this last year and would like to get the momentum back.

The rest of the financial bits and bobs are going well – YNAB as usual is a star for sorting out my budget pots and I know exactly what I have to spend here. Use the comparison sites whenever the insurance renewals pop up and basically carry on what I have been doing as it seems to be working.

Today was a NSD. The weekend is here (hooray!) and I have Pilates tomorrow. Apart from that I’m going to have a nice quiet Scrimpy weekend after all the December festivities!
    🌟
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same type of weekend here SSG as well. I may even go to the gym as well , even though it’s a20 min drive away as it’s near work.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    SSG I don't use foundation but use L'Oreal CC cream in green which makes your skin look amazing (not green!!). Loads of people have asked me which foundation I use.

Goals for 2018 sound good :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I know Cumbria. A nice sensible healthy weekend for a change will be just the ticket!
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    SSG I don't use foundation but use L'Oreal CC cream in green which makes your skin look amazing (not green!!). Loads of people have asked me which foundation I use.

Goals for 2018 sound good :)

That sounds interesting SA. Does it give good coverage? I find I need it at my time of life?:D. And it would certainly be cheaper than Clinique.
    🌟
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    SCRIMPY 2018 – PART QUATRE

FINANCIAL ORGANISATION

A couple of items on my list here:

· Sort Out Pensions – I have a final salary scheme from a previous employer, but also two small DCB schemes with other ex-employers, plus my current company's DCB scheme. I'm going to arrange transfer of the two small schemes into my current pension plan so that everything is tidy and under the same roof.

· Sort Out Tax – I received a notification from HMRC last year letting me know I hadn’t paid enough tax owing to benefits in kind at work. I haven't looked into this yet, but want to get on with it before the end of the tax year.

· Paperwork – sort out the pile that has grown sneakily in the last year and shred what's not needed and get files in order.

I'm also going to keep up with the surveys which I started doing last year.

Spends wise for the year I've got a few things to save up for – on the home front (which I reported yesterday) – also for trips away - I will be taking DD away at some stage for her birthday weekend and have a weekend away with a friend - but none have have been planned for properly yet.

Also I would like to get out for mores days out. I seemed to have slipped on this last year and would like to get the momentum back.

The rest of the financial bits and bobs are going well – YNAB as usual is a star for sorting out my budget pots and I know exactly what I have to spend here. Use the comparison sites whenever the insurance renewals pop up and basically carry on what I have been doing as it seems to be working.

Today was a NSD. The weekend is here (hooray!) and I have Pilates tomorrow. Apart from that I’m going to have a nice quiet Scrimpy weekend after all the December festivities!

re Surveys do what i did maybe? ie update your signature to keep track of your earnings via surveys.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Might be worthing this on monday guys

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-lose-weight-well
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback