PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pollyanna - welcome back, btw - I use microwavable wheat bags; the trick is to not let them dry out so much (through repeated use) that they combust. I always put a half-filled mug of water in the microwave with them when I am heating them up, and *touch wood* have never had any problems with them.
    HTH. :o

I'm having a very rough time with nasty withdrawal symptoms having stopped taking Gaba; but from what I can ascertain, this should pass, hopefully sooner rather than later, as I have Big Jack Spaniel arriving on Friday for a fortnight's stay.
    I'm definitely not fit company for humans right now, though *waves to Lynplatinum*
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks LW I've only just caught up on posts and was so sorry to read about Bailey - it's the price we pay for the love we give and receive isn't it . I hope Cassie and yourself will find comfort in each others company when she visits next . Withdrawal is a nightmare , my daughter spends a lot of time in the company of a bucket ! I hope when you are clear of the Gaba you will feel less anxiety although the cold weather isn't helpful for low mood either . Take care x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi ladies.It seems that Bonnie is a nocturnal, furry pirahna.She refuses to sleep in her crate, so have relented n let her sleep with me, as she's still sooo tiny.I know i'm soft , but the noise she was making was ear splitting:rotfl:
    Am absolutely exhausted, but happy ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi Candy enjoy every moment . You can look on it as very mse , a soft and furry hot water bottle :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Take care
    polly

• Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya Polly

My wheatbaag was made by a local craftsperson and have just made a 'guest' one my self (as my last hot water bottle died!!) I use 1 kg organic wheat (ordered from a health food shop - who range the manufacturer to check it was OK for this purpose); a few drops of lavender oil; a handful of lavender flowers (dried out and harvested from my lavender plants). The outside was made from an old tea shirt - I created a tube 30 cms long by 10 cms (so the orignal material was an oblong of 20 cms by 30 cms). My own wheatbag is about 20 years old and still functioning - do not heat for more than 4 mins for a kilo sized bag!!!

LW - sorry to hear that altering your meds is making you feel worse. Sending virtual hugs and good vibes
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi Lynn - Thanks for the lavender bag tutorial :) I do have organic lavender flowers and oil . I also have some old flannelette sheets ( about 30 to 40 years old ! ) which were the childrens many moons ago and bits of them have been used for different projects over the years - they don't make sheets of that quality anymore . I shall look into wheat and also digging my machine out of the black hole - fingers aren't up to hand sewing anymore .
    I hope you're feeling better now this cold weather is a literal pain . x
    Just noticed Mothernerd in the background , I check the turtles when I can because I find your posts really motivate me into doing something positive . I hope you too are feeling better and would love it if you would join in and get us all off our backsides !
    I'm off to the nearby town shortly and then it's flu jabs at the surgery .
    Will be back on later and I wish you all a good day .
    Larumbelle how is it going with your new lady ? Prinzess Any news on the flat ?
    This time of the year can be hard so I would love to hear how you all cope .
    See you later
    polly

• Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Hi guys :-)

Polly my new lady is really good :) She strikes just the right balance, she is supportive without being patronising, just what I need. And she hasn't hassled me about not having a cooker LOL. She has helped me to apply for PIPs and is coming with me to my doctor's appointment next week. She's definitely the best one I have had. We got on like a house on fire right away, but she told me that if you don't gel with a support worker you can ask to change and nobody will mind, different workers have different ways of going about things and they know that each person's approach will suit some clients better than others. I'm mentioning that in case this helps anyone!

I haven't had a great week or so, but I feel as though I am on the up again now :) Yesterday I went to the allotment I share with a friend and picked three of the biggest butternut squashes I have ever seen. This afternoon I am going back there to clear some of the [STRIKE]triffids[/STRIKE] weeds that have struck up here, there and everywhere. I started helping my friend with the allotment in the first place because he didn't have enough time to keep on top of it, so I feel a little bad that I abandon it for weeks at a time when my health takes a nosedive. But it is surprising, it's only the weeds that are an issue when I let things slide, the crops seem to just take care of themselves. A lot of the plot holders are down there constantly mollycoddling their plants, whereas ours seem to thrive on neglect :rotfl: I definitely feel like the fresh air and moderate exercise are good for my mind, once I can actually get the motivation to go and do it.

Those who have mentioned about companionship - I find it helps, and it doesn't. I lost my darling kitty Baloo earlier this year, he was almost a therapy cat, when I had night-time flashbacks he would snuggle into me and bring me back to reality. I still miss him terribly and even have a little cry for him now and then. He was like my rock and kept me going through some very dark times. He wasn't old at all, only about eight (rescue kitty) but he developed a sudden serious illness. We battled through surgery and feeding tubes, and he seemed to be on the up, but then his organs began to fail and it was kinder to let him go peacefully and before he suffered further :( Because this was only a few weeks before I lost my home people kept making 'helpful' comments that maybe it was for the best, but I can honestly say that losing him was far, far worse than losing my home. I don't feel like now is the right time for another pet, but when I feel like it is, I will definitely get another furry companion. Animal companionship definitely helps me. But as for humans - it depends. When I am at my lowest it doesn't help at all, in fact it makes me feel even worse. Even though I have some fantastic friends who are as understanding as they can be. But at the same time, I am dependent on friends to a degree, and I do know that I wouldn't be back on the up now if it wasn't for one of those friends dragging me up. I guess it varies from person to person what helps and what makes things harder.

I don't use a wheat bag, but I have a Snugglesafe pet heat pad that is amazing. It stays warm for hours and hours and is safe. But it is also rigid, so won't suit everyone, you can't drape it across the painful area the same way you can a wheat bag. They are also pretty expensive (I got mine as a freebie when my sister was working at a vet's). Wilkinson's had wheat bags very inexpensively last winter, I got some for my old neighbour who had arthritis and he found them very helpful. I haven't looked to see if they have them back in this year though.

Anyway, I am back off to the allotment while I am still able to force myself to leave the house! Hope everyone is having a good day, hugs for all those who need (or want) one :grouphug:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Hi ladies.It seems that Bonnie is a nocturnal, furry pirahna.She refuses to sleep in her crate, so have relented n let her sleep with me, as she's still sooo tiny.I know i'm soft , but the noise she was making was ear splitting:rotfl:
    Am absolutely exhausted, but happy ;)
    Ha! She's got you wrapped around her little furry paw already, methinks! :D What does Buddy think of her?

Larumbelle aww, hun, I am so sorry to hear of Baloo's passing. Believe me when I say I understand the world of hurt that cat-shaped hole in your life is giving you. My beloved Penny-Dog passed away in 2002, and I still miss her.

I'm glad your new lady is good, and you're getting on well with her.

They threatened me with the CMHT people a few years back, and I refused point-blank. I think I'm just too weird for any of them to get their heads around, really. :rotfl:

I've managed a trip into town with Mr LW, to get a prescription filled (diclofenac-with-misoprostol, and hydroxychloroquine, both of which I've been on for ages, so no nasty surprises this time) and also did a quick whizz round Morries (you'd be surprised how quick Mr LW can push my wheelchair!) to get some bits Ald! doesn't sell. I'm cream crackered now!

I need to get on and get some Yule cards made; I can never find anything suitable in the shops, (unless we trek into Newport Pagnell and visit the Pagan shop there, which means three circuits of the town to find a parking space first) and I begrudge paying out good money for something that's not-quite-what-I-want, iyswim. If it was left to me, I wouldn't bother sending cards at all, but Mr LW likes to send them. Fine, says I, I'll make 'em, and he can write the dratted things! :D

Enjoy the rest of your *checks calendar* Tuesday everyone. :wave:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.

Having a very wobbly time at the moment. Walking into everything and have the bruises and scrapes to prove it!

I've reached that age where I'm looking forward to the 'first proper frost' to get rid of this hanging cold! I never thought I'd say that! x
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Larumbelle It sounds as though your new lady could be a real treasure So pleased you feel on the up again . Do you get to share the allotment goodies . I had butternut squash soup earlier , wasn't os as I picked it up when I cut through Marks earlier today . It was a bit mild for me but I will be making my own version in future . Just squash , carrot , celery , onion , ginger garlic , red chilli and sage - not a fan of sage it's one of the very few herbs I don't like . There was milk in it but not a fan of milky soups Mine will have marigold organic stock and loads of chopped flat leaf parsley which grows in abundance in the garden and freezes well ..
    I feel for you over the loss of your cat . I have always had cats since childhood and am without one for the first time in years . We love all our pets but sometimes one lodges in our heart for life . It's some years since mine was run over and I can't bring myself to adopt another .
    I am glad you are able to engage with the things that help you . I wish my daughter was able to cope but she had so many people with no empathy or understanding that she can't stand her space being invaded . She's had to go over bad times so often it worsens her lack of self esteem and never gets the support she needs . It is good to know it can work .
    LW Good luck with the cards . Do you draw them yourself or download the images ? I saw your picture on the daily , such lovely smiley dogs . You sound very like my daughter in some ways , her home is her safe place and she doesn't welcome invaders .
    Nomoon I bashed into the door frame earlier we should form a club .I hope those struggling today have a better day tomorrow .
    Slowly I hope you get some sleep tonight .
    If Spider is out there I have been meaning to ask you about the oven you mentioned a while back . When the kitchen is done I don't think I need a big double oven like my present ancient one . I no longer have to have a large family size one and I read your post a while ago and thought the one you mentioned sounded suitable .
    Well I hope to get to bed soon . Town always exhausts me , at least the flu jab was over in seconds .
    Take care all
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport