PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Fromwhat I have read - yes - you can just give it away when it doubles in size - they say it takes a week.

One site I visited said to use sheeps or goats milk as normal anyway.

I believe you use about 1-2 tablespoons of the grains in a cup of milk?

I'm still waiting for mine to turn up, which will be after Easter now.

Thanks ticklemouse. I'm thinking of giving this a go. Been checking weblinks and it seems kefir can help people with lactose intollerance (which DD & DS have to some degree).

...you do realise that all these OS'ers will be buying kefir and then in a month or so the OS'ers won't be able to give the spare kefir away for love nor money.... :rolleyes: :D
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    oooo... happy memories :)

why?

cos when i 'googled' for the kefir a web page came up about other yeast cultures.. and there on it was the one for making ginger beer!! i can remember my grandad making it and it was lovely!! :)
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am still waiting for mine to arrive to but my understanding is that the longer u leave it the less lactose there is ... also u can strain it which again reduces the lactose level

there are some really good sites out there for kefir making that explains it much better then i can

HTH
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Well this is day three for me and its certainly settling in!

This morning it has not only 'kefired' the bigger glass I gave it, but its even gone on to the next stage of separating! It was very warm here yesterday though so I think that speeded it up.

My son likes it and is having loads of it, but me... _pale_
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have any of you good people grown enough grains yet to be able to pass some on ?

I seem to be having difficulty sourcing any, everyone I have contacted has allready passed them on or has a waiting list.

Cheers in expectation.

shammy
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Shammy, sorry I cant help you yet as i've not had mine for even a week and mine was only a baby when I got it. However it has grown a teeny bit so i'm hopeful that in a week or two i shall have some spare.

I'll put it on here when I have some spare as im only too happy to pass on, I hate the thought of wasting any spare.

I have to say though that mine is mellowing and doesnt taste as bad as it did before. I have heard that it gets nicer as it matures. I drank mine in a glass of milkshake this morning and 'almost' enjoyed it! :cool:
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had it in Turkey about 9 years ago on a trip from Alaynia to Pammukale when we travelled through the mountains and central plateau , I loved it .

For those who are struggling with the taste I suggest a spoon of honey in it .

shammy
  • leonie_2
    Options
    Hmmm I have to agree, its growing on me. This morning, although the taste wasnt fantastic, it was so creamy that I had a little more.

And for baking, it really is fab. The bread it makes is as light as air. I cant wait to make some homemade naan bread with it.

On a side note. I am reading a lot of research into its healing side and i'm keen to learn more about its tumour reducing qualities in certain kinds of cancers. It does seem to be a wonder food. In America, it is recommended as a pick me up for people who have had treatments that compromise the immune system. I wish I had heard about it sooner as my daughter had to have daily injections to boost her after chemo. I cant help thinking that kefir would have been worth a try then.

PS have you asked on your local freecycle? I know some dont let you ask for it, but thats where mine came from. Worth a try, I was offered some within an hour or two of asking!
  • leonie_2
    Options
    My first grains have gone now but im sure i'll have some more soon and hopefully the new owner of my spare ones will be offering soon :-)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    leonie - what do you mean, your first grains have gone? I thought that if you used them everyday, then they 'grew' and were in effect everlasting?

I have just taken delivery of my kefir and am about to put it in my milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure