Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    deary65 wrote: »
    I'm with Scottish power online standard monthly direct debit. Could someone say if there is a cancellation fee as npower are doing £90 cashback through quidco,any advice welcome.
    Ps. SP keep you on the line for ever so just hung-up.

Depends very much exactly which tariff you're signed up to. As you say 'standard', there's probably no cancellation fee, but the only way to be sure is to look at the original documentation or ask them.
  • philadam
    philadam Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've recently used UK Power to switch my elderly mother's Staywarm provider to Scottish Power, saving her about £280 a year. I was very impressed with UK Power's efficiency in keeping her informed about the switch. The process took about six weeks. They sent her a £20 switching cheque promptly for linking through Martin's website once her new account with Scottish Power had been set up.
  • jensven
    Options
    I see that now is a good time to switch suppliers and it appears I might be able to save over £200 a year if I switch, but I would be tied in until march 2011 with a fee to pay if I cancel.

We are looking at moving house in the next few months. If I move does that count as cancelling? Or could I keep the contract at the new property? Or is that unwise if it is a different sized property and area?

I'm a bit worried about getting myself tied into something. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • riqharris
    riqharris Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 9:49PM
    Options
    I just switched to EDF dual fuel via topcashback co uk and a whopping £80 is now tracking in my account,providing theres no problems, its due to be payable by June ,since my DD payment is about £80,my first months utils should effectively be free with this deal!.
    npower also offers a higher rate of £90 but they didn't come up as the cheapest deal in my area.
    Should also save upto a third on my bills according to 2 different comparison sites!
    Also,apparently theres no cancelation fees if you cancel your accounts due to moving house,only if changing supplier.
    :j
  • Michael_Campbell
    Options
    I am a first theme buyer, I am in the process of buying a house, how do I start to work out which is the best energy company to use.

According to the hips pack. I'd expect to pay £60 a month on Gas and £35 on electric. HELP! :-)
  • andyinyorkshire
    Options
    HIPS were and still are a lovely money making exercise for mainly estate agents (without going into the you can get it from other suppliers) so would glance at them (as someone has been forced to pay hundreds of pounds for them) then find your best gas & electric provider.

Use the MSE link to put in "£60 a month on Gas and £35 on electric" or put in the 'I don't know'. You'll get back a list of the current top providers and then just choose one who you can leave without being charged.
    This will allow you to see what you are spending but remember you use more on heating during the winter periods etc.
  • Broadstone
    Options
    Hi all,

I need some advise and help.

I have never used cashback sites and so am not sure how reliable thay are.

I have been advised that I can can £30 cashback via Moneysupermarket and £90 via Quidco by moving my gas & electric tariff from Scottish Power to Npower. I'm sure that Moneysupermarket offer is genuine but I have less confidence with regards Quidco. My concern is that Quidco is advising that there are 'no valid coupons' for the £90 offer and the web link from Quidco to NPower does not appear to substantiate the £90 offer either.

I would be grateful if someone could allay my concerns and also advise me how to prove Quidco's offer as being true and factually correct.

Many thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Broadstone wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need some advise and help.

I have never used cashback sites and so am not sure how reliable thay are.

I have been advised that I can can £30 cashback via Moneysupermarket and £90 via Quidco by moving my gas & electric tariff from Scottish Power to Npower. I'm sure that Moneysupermarket offer is genuine but I have less confidence with regards Quidco. My concern is that Quidco is advising that there are 'no valid coupons' for the £90 offer and the web link from Quidco to NPower does not appear to substantiate the £90 offer either.

I would be grateful if someone could allay my concerns and also advise me how to prove Quidco's offer as being true and factually correct.

Many thanks
    No cashback is guaranteed, although the switching sites tend to be slightly less riskier since they pay out as long as there is proof the application was made through them and the supplier confirms the switch took place (subject to any other terms they have). The cashback sites by contrast only usually pay out once the supplier has paid the cashback site.

Don't worry about the quidco site saying there are no valid coupons - you don't need any coupons or codes - just switch through the site; the transaction should track within 3 days (but it'll take about 3-4 months to pay out)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Broadstone
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    No cashback is guaranteed, although the switching sites tend to be slightly less riskier since they pay out as long as there is proof the application was made through them and the supplier confirms the switch took place (subject to any other terms they have). The cashback sites by contrast only usually pay out once the supplier has paid the cashback site.

Don't worry about the quidco site saying there are no valid coupons - you don't need any coupons or codes - just switch through the site; the transaction should track within 3 days (but it'll take about 3-4 months to pay out)

Thanks for the above.

For info, I have just used Quidco to transfer my gas and electric to Npower and I have received an email from Quidco to confirm the transaction. So fingers crossed that it will all work fine.
  • crazymacaque
    Options
    Broadstone wrote: »
    Thanks for the above.

For info, I have just used Quidco to transfer my gas and electric to Npower and I have received an email from Quidco to confirm the transaction. So fingers crossed that it will all work fine.

How long did it take to track by the way? For some reason I was sent back to the begining of the applications process so ended up doing it twice and am now worried it won't track!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback