PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for taking the plunge. My sister has just become hooked (after having one of my HM pizzas)...specifically she is hooked on cheese & onion bread rolls.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone from my home town gets priority ;)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    great, I should get double help then, cos I once lived in Halesworth, Suffolk, lol
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    just another quickie i've thought of :o

If i wanted to make say cheese bread or cheese rolls, would i put the cheese in the fruit and nut dispenser or straight into the mixture at the begining:confused:

It's just that it gets quite warm and i'm afraid that it will melt the cheese in the machine :o
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fox - you dom't get bonus points! :p

C - what does your instruction book say? In mine I bung most things in at the beginning, and the rest during the second knock up when it beeps.

If you just want a cheesy crusty top I'd scatter the cheese on after ALL the mixing had been done - when it's being left alone to rise before baking.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been having a spot of trouble with making wholemeal for a while now and have had lots of tips from others - but i have discovered that the problem was the yeast that i was using obviously was not at its best even though i bought it the day i got my breadmaker.

I have just started a new packet of allison yeast and the white and wholemeal loaves are fab. So good that they have all disappeared really quickly and now i have to make another in the machine!
  • silverfoxdude
    Options
    Well guys, I have made my first loaf of bread!!! whoopee, it looks great, I darent cut it yet though, afraid it might fall down in a heap on me... There is a kind of white-ish grey-ish speckle to the top of the loaf though, maybe thats yeast?? Oh sod it, I'm going to cut it, hold on to your seats....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! It is georgous, looks incredible, has a slight sweet tastegood even colour all the way round the edge of it. But its nice and kinda chewy. The crust is soft, maybe need a glaze, or leave it over night?

Big thanks to squeaky, you more or less held my hand making it haha. Thanks to everyone here, if it wasnt for your advice and knowledge I'd have never dreamt of doing this or achieving such a great loaf.

Here's to many more successes ((hugs))
  • silverfoxdude
    Options
    Well I have made 3 loaves so far and they are lovely... I've got some jam on!! wish me luck lol, I'll let you know how it goes
  • Smudge32
    Smudge32 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know of any offers around with strong flour?

Last time I bought about 20 bags when Tesco did BOGOF, just running out.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are a number of us who have successfully used bog standard own brand plain flour with great success. At between twenty and thirty pence per bag, depending on the store and offers it's well worth you trying a loaf that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport