International & UK CallChecker discussion

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    JamesU wrote: »

As mentioned with the errors in the MSE International Call checker costs (see post above), OPs should note that the MSE UK Callchecker prices also seem to be incorrect as in link below, where for Primus a 7p fee is suggested for the prefix providers, but which has actually increased to 9.5p or 10.5p depending on the Primus package.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/0870/daytime/primus/easy

JamesU

Hi James,

We regularly check call prices but we do rely on providers to give us correct lists to load into the CallChecker. Thanks for highlighting it, we're now updating the connection fee. Please feel free to email callchecker at moneysavingexpert dot com with anything you spot.

Thanks
  • Grace_Lily
    Options
    Would I be right in thinking that according to the call checker you only pay one connection charge? Or do you pay the connection charge set by your service provider for every minute you are using the phone?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    One connection charge.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Wanted to phone a USA number from a Talk Talk Landline.
    Used Martins Cheapest call tool it came up with planet talk 08433750011.
    Went to Planet Talk that say's "USA 0.5p/min 08433750011"
    Sounded good so thought I would check it out and dialled 08433750011
    Listened to some of the recording saying I could dial my destination number.
    Just checking so I disconnected.
    Went to my TalkTalk phone bill and found
    Premium call 08433750011 Duration 15 seconds services G22 rate cost of call 13pence
    Should be 0.125pence
    Double checked the number on the bill with Planet talks number and I did not dial it wrong so won’t be using that one.
    Who is ripping me off?
    Don't have time to follow it up.
  • Heinz
    Options
    That's the problem with 0843/4 and 0871/2/3 gateway providers. You start being charged the second you hit the 11th digit of the gateway number and before you even start dialling your target number.

So, taking into account Talk Talk's connection charge, a minimum of one minute's charge and rounding up to the nearest penny, 13p sound about right to me.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    That's the problem with 0843/4 and 0871/2/3 gateway providers. You start being charged the second you hit the 11th digit of the gateway number and before you even start dialling your target number.

So, taking into account Talk Talk's connection charge, a minimum of one minute's charge and rounding up to the nearest penny, 13p sound about right to me.

From what I saw on Martins cheapest call tool (bearing in mind I put in that I use Talk Talk) it gave the connection charges and the one I chose said no connection charge? Was that wrong or did I miss read something?
  • Heinz
    Options
    Talk Talk always add their connection charge to dialled 084 numbers.

The fact that http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/usa/talktalk/easy shows no connection carge is obviously a fault in the CallChecker software. I've sent them a fault report.
  • crazyvish
    crazyvish Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wanted to phone a USA number from a Talk Talk Landline.

Hi Murphy, I am not sure what time of the day you wish to call USA, but you can call this land line access number (02070288888) from your inclusive minute Mon - Fri before 6pm GMT.

Hope this helps.
  • Bruffy
    Options
    Does 18185 work well? Is it really 5p/call or do BT charge as well?

I'm a bit nervous about setting up an account with them but I don't want to pay BT rates for the occasional day time calls I make
  • Heinz
    Options
    Yes it does.
    Yes, it is (to UK 01/02/03 numbers).
    No, BT doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure