Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• jsty3105
    jsty3105 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Proof of identity required

You need you and your partner’s National Insurance numbers.

You also need a way to prove your identity. This can be one of the following:

the last 4 digits of the account that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into
    the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest
    details from your P60
    details from any of your 3 most recent payslips
    your passport number and expiry date
    Got no issues providing any of those - it's just that it's impossible to do online without a British passport. And our previous call to HMRC led to a customer service person telling us it's only for British citizens. We have Indefinite Leave to Remain visas but no British passport.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See my earlier posts in this thread.

I am in the same boat as you, tax code changed for 16/17 but still waiting for cheque for 15/16.

I waited ages for my backdated cheque. Eventually I called HMRC to chase, and it turned out it had been held up (can't remember why, sorry!) They arranged for it to be sent out on the call, and I got it within a few weeks of that.
  • lynn1954
    Options
    I wish that too
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just applied OK. Should be soon getting over £400 by cheque for past years & this years tax code adjusted. Thanks for the help.
  • Elainer63
    Options
    Hi who has to make the phone call the person who applied ( the person with none or lower income) or the person who's tax code has been changed?
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    weeowens wrote: »
    Just applied OK. Should be soon getting over £400 by cheque for past years & this years tax code adjusted. Thanks for the help.
    You do not get this years by cheque, the increased tax code gives it week/month by week/month.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Elainer63 wrote: »
    Hi who has to make the phone call the person who applied ( the person with none or lower income) or the person who's tax code has been changed?

It is the party giving the allowance away who has to do everything under MAT.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean who calls to make the transfer. If so it is the transferer, normally the low earner.
    But it can be done easily online.

And by the way both tax codes are changed one up one down.
  • teuchter66
    teuchter66 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The former.
    YOU can give up an unused 10% of YOUR personal allowance to your spouse/partner;
    YOUR spouse/partner cannot take away 10% of YOUR personal allowance.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    . . . and both your tax codes will change. The non-taxpayer's (donor) code will decrease and the tax-payer's (recipient) will increase.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback