NEW! Cheapest iPads - article discussion

Options

Comments

• pete-20-11
    pete-20-11 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Quidco are currently doing a 5% cash back for Tesco Direct - expires in about 4 days.
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • Frankthesurf
    Options
    How do you tether an Ipad to a mobile phone? I have a Samsung Desire, do you need a special lead?
  • K8C
    K8C Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking of getting the WiFi only (not 3G) ipad2 with approx 1GB data allowance.

Does anybody have any experience of a Pocket Wireless Router
    ?

You take is with you and can add up to 5x devices & I am assuming you don't need 3G if you have this but any user experience comments on this would be great, Thanks!

• Moneypenny231
    Moneypenny231 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 January 2012 at 7:39PM
    Options
    PUMKING wrote: »
    Bought new iPad2 for my Xmas present from Simply Electronics, a site I found online offering this model for £366 with full Apple Guarantee. I ordered it early December 2011 but had to wait due to pressure of demand
    and busy Couriers. However it did come before Xmas by 24 hour Courier
    delivery. They are also offering me a free stick on screen protector to
    apologise. As I had gone through Quidco, Cashback will reduce price further.Also found leather case from Invision for about £25 I think, two sided and corners of iPad click in for safety together with turning off when closed. I am happy bunny.
    Sorry don't know how to do links currently
    I ordered a Samsung Galaxy tablet from Simply Electronics.net in December 2011 and the service was terrible. The tablet failed to arrive and when I tried to phone the customer service telephone number (an 0844 number) I could not get through despite numerous attempts and being made to wait in a queue of 45mins long which never got shorter. When I emailed the company I just got an automatic generated email that said a representative would be in touch within one business day - this never happened. When I did a Google search my heart sank as there were literally hundreds of complaints about this company, some going back as far as 2009. So many customers like me, had put their order in, had their money taken straight away from their accounts and then the goods failed to be delivered. Many of the people writing on various forums told the same story of how they had a terrible time trying to get a refund. I have since contacted the company and asked for my order to be cancelled (as it has never arrived) and for a full refund. I have not yet had a reply. I have also complained to Paypal and opened up a dispute with the company (SE, not Paypal) inorder to get a refund. I have also contacted Trading Standards in the Isle of Wight (where SE have a returns depot).

I am really glad that PumKing had a good outcome. I really hope that I get my refund. This is the only time I have not done thorough research on customer feedback before ordering the first time from a company and this has been a painful lesson. Please learn from my mistake and do your research thoroughly BEFORE you order and then decide for yourself.
  • skippy45
    Options
    hi just purchased an ipad at argos, and i am fuming!! had i studied myself i could of got boots advantage card points via treat street web site, they have teamed up with apple, so if i spent my £399 with them i could have earned a nice amount of points!!:(
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    I'm afraid they can if you are using an iPhone.

O2 and Vodafone tariffs now include tethering but if you have an older contract don't assume you can do this.

this is correct. i have just checked with orange as i have an iphone4 contract with them and tethering is an extra cost. £5 a month i believe.
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    skippy45 wrote: »
    hi just purchased an ipad at argos, and i am fuming!! had i studied myself i could of got boots advantage card points via treat street web site, they have teamed up with apple, so if i spent my £399 with them i could have earned a nice amount of points!!:(

How much would you have saved? I think you would have got 1 point per pound spent, so around £3.99?

I would purchase from john lewis as they give a 2 year warranty instead of the standard 1 year for the same price.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    You can get portable Wifi routers from places like Maplin.co.uk or Equanet.co.uk. I have an Edimax one and it uses a USB dongle as it's cellular connection but it also has an ethernet/RJ45/network port if you just want to plug in to a wired network to create your own wifi hotspot. It has a battery too and will run off mini USB connection, 802.11n spec so very useful bit of tech. I've used it in my car for the kids on long journeys and on trains without wifi.

One thing I would say about the article page, Flash isn't supported but even Adobe now have recognised majority of mobile devices will not support it due to its requirements and better/newer solutions. They have announced they will no longer develop it for mobile platforms.

I've never found the lack of flash support on a mobile device a big drawback, only occasionally will you find a problem with a site and that is getting rarer.
  • pyrogenius
    Options
    How do you tether an Ipad to a mobile phone? I have a Samsung Desire, do you need a special lead?

No special lead, most smart phones, Android, Apple or others can create a wireless hotspot of their own and share their cellular data link with other devices.

Tethering is usually referred to when you do use a data cable between the device and a computer. If you want to try that I'd use the cable you must already have which is a USB one. The phone will probably support that too.

The downside with Android, (IMHO) is that the phone manufacturers make their own custom versions so finding where the settings are for doing this might be trickier than an Apple device. Take it into a shop who you have your contract with and they may be able to show you.
  • Norm1945
    Options
    I have been looking at the ipad 2 and watching prices very closely, there doesn't seem to be any really cheap deals out there, the best I found wasn't really on price it was on the guarantee My ipad2 16gb WiFi was £399 from John Lewis but the selling point for me was the two year warranty they give. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure