Large single Parent Family getting Debt free

Options

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I think that she may get working tax credits so wouldn't qualify.
    From the link provided

Free School Meals are available to any full-time student who is still at school and eligible. This includes nursery children who attend full days and also sixth form students. From September 2014, parents and carers with pupils aged 16-18 in Further Education can apply for free school meals. You can get Free School Meals for your child if you or your partner gets either:
    Universal Credit.
    Income Support.
    Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of £16,190 or less, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
    Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches. Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also eligible to receive Free School Meals.
    I do indeed get Working Tax Credits so am exempt from free school meals.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Kittencat
    Kittencat Posts: 699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quick Hello Kim.

You are heading in the right direction. Keep focused and keep giving those lovely kids of yours lots of hugs and kisses.

Xxx
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kimplus8 wrote: »
    I do indeed get Working Tax Credits so am exempt from free school meals.
    That's tough, would have thought big families with low incomes would be exactly the sort of children who should benefit from free school meals.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good for you cutting the boys hair yourself. My husband does his and our sons and mine actually! Ok my hair looks a bit choppy but I wear it up all the time anyway. I think we save around £400 a year just doing that.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • kimplus8
    edited 11 June 2016 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Just batch made 30 Sandwhiches for the next 2 weeks of lunches and slice and wrapped all the leftover birthday cake for pack lunches too, only 2 days worth but then I can make on Tuesday for the rest of the week. Now all stacked up nicely in the freezer.
    Had a lovely time today playing footy with the kids and we are looking forward to a nice family day out tomorrow for the queens birthday party
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of sandwiches. Well done you! Hope the weather is ok tommorow. Its been really wet here.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • kimplus8
    Options
    It's raining- bleugh!!! Not sure it's worth the £15 in bus fair to watch a brass band in the rain, I suppose it is a quintessentially English day to celebrate HRH turning 90.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope the weather cleared up. £15 in bus fares. :eek: They're expensive I know, I once travelled 40 miles on a train with 2 kids for less than it cost me to take a bus ride to the other side of town and back! How do the fares work where you are. You don't pay for under 5s (no idea if this is national policy) and then single child fares here are 70p per journey. For an adult you can get a day rider pass if it works out cheaper than the return fare.
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Hope the weather cleared up. £15 in bus fares. :eek: They're expensive I know, I once travelled 40 miles on a train with 2 kids for less than it cost me to take a bus ride to the other side of town and back! How do the fares work where you are. You don't pay for under 5s (no idea if this is national policy) and then single child fares here are 70p per journey. For an adult you can get a day rider pass if it works out cheaper than the return fare.
    Bus fair has gone up:mad: It was 16.50 as it was £10 for a family ticket which covered 1 adult and 3 kids and you are only allowed 2 free travelling children per adult ticket so of the 3 that are under 5 I had to pay for 1 meaning I then had to but 2 child day passes too (a day pass was cheaper than a return journey). so £6.50 for the 2 day passes. Then we ate our packed lunch and watched the brass band and got an icecream once the sun came out, £1.80 each!!! !!!!!! that's sooooooo expensive. so today cost us almost £30.
    next time I will learn from this and buy some cones from Tesco and pack some icecream in a coolbox and take it with us, even if half the box melts it will be considerably cheaper than buying icecreams there. I was going to take my little ones to a messy church session this week but we wont be able to go now as I have used up the budget for thisweek. At least that's a lesson learnt!
    It was lovely for the kids to see a real brass band though, even though it rained while they played 'mr blue skies' lol
    Happy Birthday HRH queen liz- it was a blast!!!
    I have had a really emotional day thinking lots about babys dad. I want to hate him, I want to get over what he did to me and how he has abandoned our son. Thankfully I have learnt some home truths about it and now I am feeling a little more prepared to do this alone. ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 June 2016 at 12:49PM
    Options
    There are two things I've found are sold with a huge mark up... single bottles of water and single ice cream cones.

Even I as a sole customer of the supermarkets can get multipacks of both, top brands, full size, around the 25p mark (each single unit) when offers are on without trying hard.

4 packs of Cornetto are £1 in Tesco (special offer) at the moment, my last Evian was a 9 Pack for £2 from the Co-op, special pack size no visible price offer.

Imagine how little they are paying their suppliers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure