PIP Question

Options
1235»

Comments

• HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Nannytone, the Support Group descriptors are very specific. It is worth looking at them and seeing how they match up to the claimant's problems.
  • Franklee_2
    Franklee_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed the letter did not state that, she hasn't had a letter, as I posted, she had a phone call this morning, and, "you will never get it as you are not seriously ill enough", is what she was told over the phone. She has been through the descriptors and asked for her mandatory reconsideration on mobilisation grounds. She says she cannot mobilise for 50 metres etc, they say she can because she put on her form that she could just about walk for 5 minutes.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the seriously ill comment is totally wrong. in fact, you dont have to be 'ill' at all to be in the support group.
    i am as fit as a flea, yet i still meet a support group descriptor.

did your wife state on her form the manner in which she walks?
    if she just said she can walk for 5 minutes ... it doesnt actually say a lot.
    i could walk over 1/4 of a mile in 5 minutes.
    did she stress that she walks slowly and with discomfort for 5 minutes and can only cover a distance of xyz?
    did she provide medical evidence to support this?
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    Thanks nannytone.
    she tried to explain she could probably walk for 5 minutes, but couldn't hold a conversation at the same time, also, due to the nature of her problems since her illness, she could walk for 5 minutes on a Monday but could be in bed all day on the Tuesday.
    She didnt back this up on the original assessment but her gp has said he is happy to back it up if her reconsideration failed, which it has.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    [t would have been so much easier if this evidence had been supplied for the reconsideration.
    now you face a VERY long wait all because the information wasnt given at the right time.
    do make sure that her GP states that thie was her condition at the time of the original assessment and not her condition at the time if the tribunal
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being unable to walk isn't good enough reason for support group. The criteria is mobilising. So, can she use crutches, a wheelchair, walker, etc?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • barney2k
    barney2k Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Please go to CAB and get help making an appeal. I'm not terminally ill and was initially put into WRAG. Now after two appeals [first overturned on a point of law] I have been placed in support group. Without the CABs help I would not have reached this point as I would not have realised an error had been made at the hearing by the Judge!
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all. Indie kid. She certainly couldn't use a wheelchair she has very little upper body strength, dont know about crutches but she does use a walking stick.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If she can walk 50 meters using her walking stick without stopping and in a timely manner, she won't get into the support group.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    My wife has had her appeal refused. So, I guess that is that. Doesn't qualify for any other benefits, looks like its back to two jobs for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure