Are santander a crappy bank?

Options

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So if you run into trouble sounds as though you are screwed :rotfl:

That's one of the quandaries on defining what a good bank (or other retail operation) is.

If a bank offers such an exemplary service that nothing ever goes wrong, then no-one has any experience on how good it is at resolving any probelms.

Rather bizarrely, people often seem to think more highly of an institution that resolves problems quickly than one that doesn't allow those problems to occur in the first place.

Of course in banking, there are a number of instances such as fraudulent transactions where you may need the banks help to resolve a problem that is not of it's own making.
  • LXdaddy
    LXdaddy Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are santander a crappy bank?

Not in my experience. We've had 123 accounts and ISA accounts for a few years now and not had problems.
  • GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

I've been with Santander from when it was Girobank. Never had any problems. I contact them using secure messaging and they tend to answer my enquiry within a couple of days.

So for me, they are not a crappy bank:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also been with them since they were Girobank a couple of small problems quickly sorted I have various accounts with them . Their online banking works fine never had any problem with it lots of my family also use Santander without problems.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Mercedes55
    Options
    I've been with them since they were GiroBank too and have never had a problem. I've got a current account and a couple of ISA's and if I ever have any queries I send a secure message and they are quick to get back to me.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So if you run into trouble sounds as though you are screwed :rotfl:
    Not necessarily, if you know the rules you can tell them & they'll act on it, just don't expect them to know the rules. A few examples, branch staff didn't know you could pay in at a post office, a secure message got the same response - "We don't do that". Was told I could operate an executor account online, it can't be done. They couldn't tell me where the nearest ATM was to Denver because "the system was down", all they had to do was zoom out on their little map & see it was hundreds of miles away. And the old favourite - I'll call you back, don't hold your breath.
    I've been with them for years, the only place I found staff who knew what they were doing was the old Alliance & Leicester branch in Stafford, which is now of course closed.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a small current account with them & it wasn't used much & so we decided to shut it.
    It took four tries, three in person. We were profoundly not impressed.
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, personally.
    (Although they do have some attractive products.)

They blocked all my accounts without warning several months after opening, because they had not done the right ID checks when they did open them.
    Then demanded that I go into a branch with ID to resolve it.
    Very inconvenient, so I closed the lot.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I had issues in the past with them (about 6 years ago).

Closed an account but there was an issue with one DD that still tried to come out and I got all sorts of charges. All eventually written off but took months to sort.

Went back recently for the 123 account. No real issues but I find their online banking pretty slow. Was with RBS previously and they updated much quicker.
  • pathtofreedom
    Options
    When you setup a new payment online, to a new person you haven't paid before, then they do have 2 stage auth, and they send you a text with a code on to make sure it is really you adding the new payment. You can setup texts about your balance too, eg mini statement, only have x amount of money left etc.

I *touch wood* haven't had any problems and have been with them 2 years or so. No bank is completely free of computer glitches, or human error when you call their support lines. They all have the same level of savings protection. It all depends what features are most useful to you, eg the 123 benefits, or different interest rates with other banks. Do you want an easy to use website, eg I like santander's format more than lloyds or hsbc, do you use phone apps - I don't but I'm sure others could tell you what they are like for interface and reliability. Do you want local branches or do you never pay in cheques or have need to go into a branch.

When I was with lloyds they used to phone me every couple of months trying to upgrade me to different things, even though I complained about this they kept doing it, which is why I left. Santander have never done similar phone calls to bother me, which I think is a plus.
    MFW OP's 2017 #101 £829.32/£5000
    MFiT-T4 - #46 £0/£45k to reduce mortgage total
    04/16 Mortgage start £153,892.45
    MFW 2015 #63 £4229.71/£3000 - old Mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business