The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    poodlegal wrote: »
    Now what I need is someone to tell me how to make egg fried rice as I have eggs that need to be used and a bag of brown rice thats been sitting for ages, or for that matter any other ideas anyone :o while i'm on a :rotfl:with the meal planning? :A

Would it work if you simply cook the rice, drain and then add the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir - almost like scrambled eggs?

I chop some potatoes into cubes and par boil. I then fry some bacon, onion, the potato cubes, some baked beans and then add the eggs. Its a sort of scrambled brunch and looks a mess - but its lush!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Hi everyone

Feeling a bit better today, shoulder and arm is slowly getting better and I have done two lots of different paid work so I feel all virtuous.

We are on the EDF Blue Price Promise too. Our bills are huge. Electric is £80 a month, heating oil £50 and we spend £60 a month through the winter on coal. We have just had our windows replaced but not our front door yet which is really draughty.

We have a 3 bed semi but DS and I are at home all the time, DS has health issues. Our main living room rarely gets above 15 degrees and we really try not to have the heating on too much. I do worry about the bills but dont know what more I can do.

Ooh and another SFD so thats good!
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    poodlegal wrote: »
    Now what I need is someone to tell me how to make egg fried rice as I have eggs that need to be used and a bag of brown rice thats been sitting for ages, or for that matter any other ideas anyone :o while i'm on a :rotfl:with the meal planning? :A

The "traditional" method is to cook the rice, cool with running water, heat oil in a wok, fry rice and then drizzle the eggs in as you stir.

I've never had a lot of success with that method though. I always end up welding the rice to the pan and making a big mess!

So now I cook the rice, cool, heat the wok/pan and make scrambled eggs, and then stir the rice in to heat it through.

Not much to report here, another SFD, although it almost wasn't. I was looking at potential houses with my friend yesterday and today. And yesterday, after the viewings I automatically said "we can have lunch and discuss options tomorrow!" Uh-oh. Anyway today I was good, I said I had to get back to the office (true) and so no lunch and SFD safe! :T
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just made the biggest lasagne ever made in my life. Got a new dish for christmas which is huge. So hopefully should get 6 portions out of that (usually only have 3-4) and freeze 4. Had an SFD today and went to the gym.

Love egg fried rice but also make a mess of the pot usually.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • poodlegal
    Options
    Thanks karma will probably do that one with the scrambled eggs then add the rice, i'm on a mission to use stuff thats been sitting around for ages and its been quite nice to have a change of menu!
  • mayfair1985
    Options
    Was blinking yum! Bug thumbs up for potatoe pie, thank you so much for the idea. We stuck a layer of left over roast chicken in the middle, worked a treat!

Regarding egg fried rice, I always cook the rice the evening or morning before and leave it in the fridge. Then scramble the eggs, chuck some peas and a dash of soy in the pan and stir through. I can never seem to cool it enough under the tap and it goes mushy like an eggy rice pudding. Bleugh.

Forgot the heating! We're 2 bed mid terrace, draughty and poorly insulated. 2 men that think the heating should live on 26 (yes you did read that right)
    So that they don't need to wear clothes. We're forever having thermostat wars :) we do £78 a month on gas and electric combined with Scottish power. Not sure if its the cheapest but I have to say their customer service is the best that I've come across from any company in years. I'm happy with it and it never seems to need much altering through the year.

Right, back to food. What am I going to do with the rest if this roast chicken? Only I reckon we could get another meal out of it. No stews, casseroles or 'sloppy food' ideas please :D

And training? The London marathon, because I'm a freaking nutcase!
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all been MIA since Saturday which was spent photographing a zillion things for ebay, still to be uploaded but DS2 said he would do it Mmmmm. Spent Sunday in A&E departments (in the plural) with DS which ended in further visits on Monday and yesterday but hopefully everything is healing now. glad I planned £50 in contingency fund but didn't think I would need it quite so early in the month! Spent around £20 on extra petrol and snacky meals and drinks and car parking so will have to try and claw back.

Reporting further 3 SFD's so 4 in total and still ploughing through the cupboards and freezer much to the teenagers disgust - as apparantly there is NOTHING in the house to eat (there is it just needs cooking) which translated means there is no easy grab carp in the fridge.

Made sausage, mash, gravy, organic carrots and cabbage for tea with my YS sausages .25p no recipe required.

Thriftylass - will post some recipes at weekend from my 'frugal folder' while you are on a roll if you want?

Right am off to look at my gas and elec usage although still need to sort out the insurances first. I love the idea of putting one debt in sig and concentrating on that as i generally get a bit overwhelmed when thinking of it all together.

Goodnight all x
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    I think I'm still alive. I can't tell. Haven't read everyone's posts yet.. I just about made it home yesterday to be back up at 0445. Had enough now I think!! Defo coming back down with something, food consumption at work canteen not good as its easy, eBay going well though!! Hope everyone's safe and sound.. Updates if I get a computer at work otherwise tonight!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Right, back to food. What am I going to do with the rest if this roast chicken? Only I reckon we could get another meal out of it. No stews, casseroles or 'sloppy food' ideas please :D

Paella ? - cheap savoury rice + frozen peas + scraps from the carcass. Add if available - prawns, ham. Or cheat and buy a Vesta paella (poundlandish) and pad out with your leftover chicken..

Cheaper still, add to 12p value noodles from Tesco plus carrot sliced on the side of the grater, or chopped up green beans, whatever.
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear Kat, we know you are hardcore but dont overdo it! You dont want to burn out you need to maintain this moneysaving and its times when we are stretched too thinly we fall off the wagon.
    And training? The London marathon, because I'm a freaking nutcase!
    Thanks for the tip about the rice. I'm a runner too, I tend to do hillraces and ultras though my knees cant take too much hard road running. I'm training for a mountain marathon in April. Obviously i'm a nutcase too :p been scoffing karp food lately so must make an effort with the training and nutrition. (It can be hard finding time with a business to run, 5 dogs in the house and 3 kids :rotfl:and a husband thats away)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure