Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Options

Comments

• sinbads
    sinbads Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking about getting one of these 3 free jobbies, running vista so would like to know whether its best to use the OP software for unlocking or the paid for one.

Don't really want to end up with a plumbob:grin:
  • pb643
    pb643 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 July 2009 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Sorry that my first post is asking for help, rather than providing usefull information as so many of you do.

I have attempted to unlock my 3 dongle as described in this thread, all has gone well, the software worked correctly and I removed the three connection manager and installed the new one.

I pug in the dongle and the connection manager fires up, the blue light is on constantly and everything seems great. Along the tool bar it shows a UMTS network, the device is online and the U(SIM) is ready. I can send and recieve SMS and check the account balance etc. BUT I cant go online, there is a gray box syaing "please wait....initilializing", this never dissappears and in the bottom left it says "state disconnected", whilst on the tool bar the data icon says not connected.

I have tried two sims, the original 3 sim and an Iphone o2 sim PAYG with credit on it, I have tried variations on the settings in this thread and on other sites and I never get beyond please wait!!

I have rerun the unlock software and reinstalled the telstra connection manager.

If there is anyone out there who can help, I would be very happy to listen.

Thanks

A very frustrated Phil
  • caz567
    caz567 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    pb643 wrote: »

I pug in the dongle and the connection manager fires up, the blue light is on constantly and everything seems great. Along the tool bar it shows a UMTS network, the device is online and the U(SIM) is ready. I can send and recieve SMS and check the account balance etc. BUT I cant go online, there is a gray box syaing "please wait....initilializing", this never dissappears and in the bottom left it says "state disconnected", whilst on the tool bar the data icon says not connected.

I have tried two sims, the original 3 sim and an Iphone o2 sim PAYG with credit on it, I have tried variations on the settings in this thread and on other sites and I never get beyond please wait!!

Have you made sure you've changed the connection settings? You can set up a setting for each of the SIMs that you have. I'm currently using an O2 iphone sim and mine works fine (it didn't to start with though as I had the wrong settings in). The settings you need for this sim are as follows:

Dial number: *99***1#
    Leave everything else as it is.

Make sure you then "Set Default" so that it uses the right setting.

Hope this helps.
    Carol
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sinbads wrote: »
    Thinking about getting one of these 3 free jobbies, running vista so would like to know whether its best to use the OP software for unlocking or the paid for one.

Don't really want to end up with a plumbob:grin:

The paid for one is exactly the same as the free version you can download as stated in the thread.

The dongle as it comes with original firmware works on Vista.

However, it does say that unlocking should be done on an XP machine, not vista.
  • sinbads
    sinbads Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    aerostar wrote: »
    The paid for one is exactly the same as the free version you can download as stated in the thread.

The dongle as it comes with original firmware works on Vista.

However, it does say that unlocking should be done on an XP machine, not vista.

Thanks for your response

Still somewhat confused, The paid for version say's it will work with xp and vista ?

If as you say its basically a clone, why in the readme doe's it say
    If You Run Vista Do Not Try It, Only XP
    maybe someone who has used the free unlocker on vista can advise

Regards
  • steveclecy
    steveclecy Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to those who have given advice about this. From the OP, I "bought" the 3 dongle, downloaded the free software, flashed it (using Windows 7 RC as the operating system), and now have an unlocked dongle. I have also bought an O2 iPhone sim card off eBay, at first put off by the "connect iPhone to iTunes on your computer to activate" warning (bunkum - fit it in any unlocked or O2 phone, give it time to send SMS messages to you, then top up with credit). I now have £10 credit on the original 3 sim card, and the O2 sim card. Having tried both, it must be said that the 3 sim card (purpose-designed for mobile broadband) is fast compared with the O2 sim card, but I am not confident about coverage. Patience certainly is a virtue with the O2 sim card, but considering that I will only be using it when away from home on holiday, perhaps I will learn to be more patient. Once again, thank to all who have helped.
  • bugs_whats_up_doc
    Options
    I got my dongle and the software but i`m having problems unlocking it, when I run the flashupdate software, it just seems to sit there it says Port: COM1, No Phone, the it says Waiting, and under that it says 0/100. I have tried several XP machines with no luck, at the moment its sat on a windows 2000 machine and has been since 8.30 this morning, and its now 12 and its still at the same point. At first I thought I was being impatient but, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything, the software hasn't crashed either.

Has anyone else had these problems, I am using it on a PC attached to my works network which uses a proxy to access the net, could this be the cause?

Thanx
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think my colleague had a similar problem. I beleive it hadn't installed the drivers correctly. I think he took the dongle out and it had found the hardware the first time, rebooted and then put it back in after the drivers had loaded. The flash software then worked.

If it doesn't start to do anything more or less straaight away then it isnt working. It still takes 20 minutes or so to process to completion though.

Sorry if this is a bit vague. It was about 2 months ago.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • caz567
    caz567 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using my unlocked dongle with an O2 iPhone SIM merrily for over a month now. I tried to connect yesterday evening and this morning and it now won't work... it connects but then immediately disconnects and a pop up error message appears. I've checked the settings and they are all fine. The only thing I can think of is that O2 have caught up with me and have stopped my SIM from working.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Carol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family