Items you no longer buy due to increase in price??

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tinned tuna, I really miss this, used to love tuna pasta and h/m tuna and sweetcorn pizza
    hard cheese, unless on offer (still using some BOG2F that was also RTC last november and has been in the freezer since)
    bread or rolls unless RTC below half price or desperate
    beer, hardly ever now
    wine, never
    fresh fruit, unless RTC below 1/4 price
    tinned soup isn't a lunch now, it has to be a main meal
    value noodle pots as a snack, now use value noodle, and now only 1 packet - used to have 2
    teabags have to be on offer now, usually Iceland or similar
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • EycplUK
    EycplUK Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Spotted some Oxtail in morries and thought MMMMMmmmmm !
    There was one large piece and two small piece`s on a tray , picked it up to have a look and nearly fell on the floor when i saw the price !!
    £5-85 !!!!!!
    Can remember when it was a whole tail for a quid and not that long ago !
    I figured out that at the price , weight and cooking loss those 3 pieces of Oxtail would have worked out at £18 per Kilo !
    So has Dione Warwick would say ...................
    Walk On Bye ......... Quickly !!
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    I only buy things on offer and stock up. I buy enough to cover myself until the next time its on offer - usually when I just opened the final one. Plus I get my store cupboard basics from Aldi. If I go to a town 14 miles from here, the one I went to school, I go to Lidl and B&M.

All of my anti-deo in the cupboard were bought because the product was discontinued/ I bought 3 cans of the large Dove aerosol anti-deo when it was discontinued at 75p a can (its about £3 full price)
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    Corned beef is vile!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Supermarkets are taking the p with the pricing of tuna. According to HomeBargains, Princes Tuna Chunks 4 pack has a RRP of £3.69, and they sell it for £2.99. £6.99 a 4 pack in the supermarkets, probably so they can then have it on *Special Offer* at £4. Even then it's not that cheap.
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    walkers crisps i will only buy when they are on offer now( when they go down to £2 for the large multi packs) oh bought some from tesc0 in the week when they were buy one get one free, also we tend to use ald1 now for fresh fruit and veg and passata instead of tinned toms. aldi also do a large multibag of crisps that oh and eldest child like, i think there are 24 packets for £1.99.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Until I started reading this I didn't realise how my habits were becoming the norm. I no longer automatically look for the brands and I now visit Aldi, Lidle & B&Ms. I don't buy tinned soups, I buy fresh bread on my way home from work and have to settle for what's left! I won't pay full price for cleaning stuff. I've stopped buying biscuits unless they are on offer or cheap. For the first time ever I hear myself asking how much? (out loud) and putting stuff back.

I work in a deprived, multicultural area where there are a few cheap shops and find myself in there with the locals. The small asda has a great whoopsie shelf often with Extra Special and healthy stuff, it puzzles me why they stock it as the locals either can't afford at full price or don't eat these products.

Meat and fish is bought at the cash & carry or when on offer and divided & frozen. Although I would never buy cheap mince, shepherds pie, bolognese, chilles etc are bulked out more with veg, beans, lentils. Leftovers are used up in soups, omelettes etc. I buy more frozen veg & berries than I used to.

While we would never do without something we wanted, (eg. I could never sit and eat a bean casserole when I really wanted meat), I get a perverse sort of pleasure when I know that what we are eating is a bargain. I never thought that I would become this thrity.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Middy wrote: »
    Corned beef is vile!

you never had one of my special hashes then:D

corned beef
    cheese
    baked beans
    mashed potato
    more cheese
    fried egg

all in that order and hot ouit of the oven on a cold sunday afternoon

excellant thread by the way everyone
    i thought it was just me really cutting back on named goods and going shopping savvy big time this year until i saw the eating out of the fridge thread and this is how we are saving loads of money in our houshold ,
    we never and did never overbuy though and very very rarely have we ever had waste food in our house but got to admit the snap and locks in our freezer does sometimes get silly especially if we forget to label it:o
  • blackandwhitebunny
    Options
    dasophster wrote: »
    I've stopped buying orange juice and apple juice; even the 'value' ones are double what they were a few years ago, instead my boys drink any squash that doesn't have aspartame or anything really nasty in it; milk or water.
    I avoid aspartame as well but find it really difficult to buy squash without it. I generally gets the Rocks organic or the bottlegreen or the sainsbugs TTD one. All the big brand ones seem to contain it.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Busier thread than first imagined and I'm obviously not alone.
    Some great posts/reading and very interesting.

I think we need a post showing where the best prices of these overpriced items can be bought cheaply and maybe one with the best buys of the week??
    Anyone interested and have the time to run and update??

I'll be checking for that cheap tinned salmon (Aldi).

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure