Visa/Mastercard Chargeback article discussion

Options

Comments

• Bex809
    Bex809 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Similar to a post above, I'm trying to put in a claim but since buying the product I've closed the current account. Do Barclays still have to continue with the claim or can they refuse?
  • Topov1309
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

i have have read various articles to try and help me reclaim £6500 for a car purchase this year.
    The repair costs have been presented to the garage but they cant afford it apparently - even though they have approx 30 cars on their premises for sale
    I still have the faulty car as the garage will not take it back and they sold my part-ex.

History
    1. Car purchased 25/06/2016 PM
    2. Fault found 26/06 Sunday
    3. Took to local garage for diagnosis on 27/06 at 11:00am
    4. £3K work needed to fix faulty catalytic converters
    5. Phoned Santander 11:20 to try and stop payment - couldnt.

On each occasion i have contacted Santander i have had to deal with different people who dont seem to have any idea - all sound like call centre people and they only say Hi firstname how can i help - they never provide lastnames - yet they want all your information for security!!
    I ask to speak to the other person i have dealt with previously only to be told they dont know who that is and i have come through to a call centre

Anyone know contact details for Gill Cant?
    Head of Card Disputes (electronic signature applied to all letters received.)

Anyone dealt with Santander?
    How long did it take?
    Did you manage to get refund?
    I started my case 2nd Aug 2016, and have provided the information they have requested.
    Luckily i scan everything i have to post to them - obviously not heard of email?

PS
    Also tweeted @santanderuk to see if they monitor
    :eek:
  • Topov1309
    Options
    Hiya

Have you got any further with your case?
    I have posted with a garage purchase issue
  • Snowedunder
    Options
    Topov1309 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

i have have read various articles to try and help me reclaim £6500 for a car purchase this year.
    The repair costs have been presented to the garage but they cant afford it apparently - even though they have approx 30 cars on their premises for sale
    I still have the faulty car as the garage will not take it back and they sold my part-ex.

History
    1. Car purchased 25/06/2016 PM
    2. Fault found 26/06 Sunday
    3. Took to local garage for diagnosis on 27/06 at 11:00am
    4. £3K work needed to fix faulty catalytic converters
    5. Phoned Santander 11:20 to try and stop payment - couldnt.

On each occasion i have contacted Santander i have had to deal with different people who dont seem to have any idea - all sound like call centre people and they only say Hi firstname how can i help - they never provide lastnames - yet they want all your information for security!!
    I ask to speak to the other person i have dealt with previously only to be told they dont know who that is and i have come through to a call centre

Anyone know contact details for Gill Cant?
    Head of Card Disputes (electronic signature applied to all letters received.)

Anyone dealt with Santander?
    How long did it take?
    Did you manage to get refund?
    I started my case 2nd Aug 2016, and have provided the information they have requested.
    Luckily i scan everything i have to post to them - obviously not heard of email?

PS
    Also tweeted @santanderuk to see if they monitor
    :eek:

Hi, in a very similar position. I used the template letter from this forum and sent it to my bank with a brief statement (as per yours above). I did not hear back for nearly 2 weeks then got a call from their Fraud department who asked me to post as you say above, certain documentation that I had mentioned I'm my previous letter. They were not sure they could do anything, but said they would be back in touch. About 2 weeks later, I had an e mail from Bank telling me to immediately return the vehicle to the garage that sold it to me - they would not accept it, so I took it back at midnight and video'd it and showed me putting the keys through the door.

Next morning they e-mailed a 'threat' saying collect it or else we will not be held responsible for what happens to it. I called police enquiry line not 999 and they registered this threat all be it just at my request as there was really nothing they could do.

Next, the same day, I had an e mail from the bank to say they had my money and that it will be in my account within 45 days. The 45 days are not up yet, and I know the garage owner will fight like hell to not let me win but I know I have a good case, and I assume that my bank are fairly confident too.

So perhaps this might be the way for you to go, starting with the template letter on here. Good Luck
  • Topov1309
    Options
    Thanks Snowedunder
    I discussed my options with Santander and they advised me to send letter saying "come and collect the car within 7 days". This will prove that i have attempted to give it back.
    That was after the bank and i discussed, would you return something and then "wait in vain" for the refund to appear.
    As it stands sent the letter recorded - no response from dealer
    Santander who told me what to do cant find the paperwork that i sent them in their stamped addressed envelope!
    Luckily because of the world we find ourselves living in I scanned everything and will be re-submitting the info.

Just for info twitter got an immediate response that THEY emailed me and then called me to look at my case - even though the above was the outcome.

Last person i spoke to said that Gill Cant is the organ grinder and they were the monkey and dont have access to this faceless head of disputes at Santander - I wanted to give feedback as to why we have to post everything.
  • Topov1309
    Options
    Santander are washing their corporate hands of the situation. They say that under Visa rules that if you get any sort of monies from an institution to try and rectify the situation then they cant do chargeback. So in essence we as consumers are shafted
    Because to me it says that any company can sell you faulty goods and then give you a pittance to rectify it. I took £700 into my account with every intention of giving straight back to the garage once i had the chargeback refunded - because £700 doesn't even cover the labour charges.
    I had to go all the way to the complaints dept to even get the negative response, & they offer me £75 for the crap way they have handled everything - whooopee - apparently it will have no effect on me going to Ombudsman.
    Should i still carry on???
  • Thanks for the update. Just booked a cruise for 4 and credit card charges where going to be 2.5% on £5k so used debit Mastercard instead. Gratifying to know there is protection for this form of paying also. (can use the £125 saved from CC charges on board in the bars!!!!)
  • Topov1309
    Options
    Hope you don't have to try to claim any compo - i haven't had anything yet
  • Topov1309
    Options
    One line summary for all
    Everyone get a Credit card as you have more protection
    Ombudsman has said the bank have ticked their boxes correctly and if you authorise a debit from your account you CANNOT get your money back
    Therefore just use bank accounts as a modern day piggy bank/mattress
    Make all purchases with Credit cards, and ensure you manage the card with regular payments.
    Ombudsman only advised me to take to small claims court and report trader to Trading Standards..
    Credit card companies offer more protection because you are using their monies for the purchase and they therefore have a vested interest in getting a resolution.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback