roy62
roy62 Posts: 327 Forumite
edited 18 January 2017 at 10:49AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Not certain.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    No less safe than other forms of banking.

Have a passcode to access the phone.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Safer than from a computer because only that one phone can be used to access your banking and it is far less likely to be compromised than a computer.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you should be using the bank's app rather than a browser
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only if you apply a hat of tinfoil around your head to prevent psychotelekentic interference.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Only if you apply a hat of tinfoil around your head to prevent psychotelekentic interference.

This..... and if in the house, I always cover the letter box with tinfoil too.

Better to be safe than sorry!
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope so. I've got 9 bank apps on my phone. Makes managing my accounts very easy.

M&S app seems nice and safe as you can do !!!!!!-all with it.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Yes in fact it is safer to use an app on your phone than a browser as it is a lot more difficult to intercept an app and get your banking credentials - not that it's that easy on a browser of course. if you are running Android you could consider installing the app in the Samsung Knox environment I have all my banking apps there it requires fingerprint ID to even enter the environment before you can run the app also as said above you should secure your phone with either a pin or password or preferably fingerprint. Finally you should always have a SIM lock set so that if you lose your phone they can't simply remove your SIM and put it in an unlocked spare phone
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    roy62 wrote: »
    Not certain.

I was speaking to a staff member in my nearest branch, she said that she personally had never come across a customer who had a security issue with the app (Barclays). Apps are the way forward and some of the other replies highlight just how secure apps are. There is the added benefit of being able to bank form literally anywhere. Last week I paid my credit card bill whilst on a golf course.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    Yes in fact it is safer to use an app on your phone than a browser as it is a lot more difficult to intercept an app and get your banking credentials - not that it's that easy on a browser of course. if you are running Android you could consider installing the app in the Samsung Knox environment I have all my banking apps there it requires fingerprint ID to even enter the environment before you can run the app also as said above you should secure your phone with either a pin or password or preferably fingerprint. Finally you should always have a SIM lock set so that if you lose your phone they can't simply remove your SIM and put it in an unlocked spare phone

That's exactly what my techie friend told me.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on the phone: For example I wouldn't use any banking app on an Elephone P9000 which is widely reported as being rooted and using insecure Android test keys. It's a fact that banks allow their apps to be used on insecure phones so that means that in that case mobile banking is itself insecure.

On the other hand I do everything mobile including banking and shopping on my iPhone SE 64GB.

I suppose it comes down to what the user trusts and personal caution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure