PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Sheel wrote: »
    I don't like gardening at the best of times, but I wouldn't fancy doing any digging in that garden. _pale_

That's what makes it (even more) strange - surely if you'd expressed a desire to be buried in your garden, you'd anticipate that somewhere down the line new owners would come along and want to re-landscape :eek:
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    That's what makes it (even more) strange - surely if you'd expressed a desire to be buried in your garden, you'd anticipate that somewhere down the line new owners would come along and want to re-landscape :eek:

The other take on that is that it might be one way to ensure that the house never ever could be sold on to anyone else and you (well your earthly remains anyway) just RIP....

Wonders if they were avid readers about Ancient Egypt and thought "Anything the Pharoahs can do we can do better"?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

We've got some cats buried in our garden so is it any different? :undecided

I'd hope for at least 4' of difference myself. :)
  • Camillia_Chubb
    Options
    I wouldn't mind buying a house with 2 people buried there, I think its kinda cool. They must have been very happy there :)

If anyone was to buy my house they'd discover old bones aplenty! There are around 8 pet chickens, 3 cats, 2 rabbits and various other smaller unfortunate furry friends laid to rest, who came to live with us over the years. Awww bless em!
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan £231.63
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously did not do a thing to the house judging from the state it's in!

Dread to think how much it will be once done up to modern standards.

I was going to suggest getting London Necropolis to re-inter elsewhere but think I may be out of date now on where to go for such a service. It's been a long time since I was involved in getting some bodies moved.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The other take on that is that it might be one way to ensure that the house never ever could be sold on to anyone else and you (well your earthly remains anyway) just RIP....

There are hundreds of houses where documented burials have taken place in what is now garden land.

Maybe it's not common, but I've seen it a few times on Rightmove, and there are also all those converted churches and chapels. ;)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me to have someone buried in the garden.

You have to get the permission of the local authority if you want to bury someone in your garden (I think a body is technically classified as 'clinical waste' so they have to be satisfied it isn't too close to watercourses etc.)

My only concern with buying a house with a burial in the garden would be whether the person's friends or family might want to visit the grave (I wouldn't want random people wanting to visit my garden,but it would feel a bit mean to say no!)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    It wouldn't bother me to have someone buried in the garden.

You have to get the permission of the local authority if you want to bury someone in your garden (I think a body is technically classified as 'clinical waste' so they have to be satisfied it isn't too close to watercourses etc.)

My only concern with buying a house with a burial in the garden would be whether the person's friends or family might want to visit the grave (I wouldn't want random people wanting to visit my garden,but it would feel a bit mean to say no!)

...and the other thought would be to get the corpse dug up and moved elsewhere I guess. I had a quick google earlier and it seemed to boil down to £7,000 and some hassle to do so. Bet there are a few "animal bones" sneaked out with the rubbish from houses sometimes then.......
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Would you buy THIS house. :eek:

We've got some cats buried in our garden so is it any different? :undecided

Wouldn't bother me, so long as there were no rights of access by grieving family etc.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport