What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 16th October?

Options

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Quick question - has anyone tried to make seitan? I'm thinking of giving it a go as it will be cheap and high protein.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Quick question - has anyone tried to make seitan? I'm thinking of giving it a go as it will be cheap and high protein.

never heard of it carrie!

Hope your new work pattern is good for you. It's taken me a couple of months to see how it works out. Overall I'm glad I made the change, however I do miss having 5 days off in a row every other week and at this point I'm really tired and glad for a week off
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2017 at 11:49AM
    Options
    never heard of it carrie!

Hope your new work pattern is good for you. It's taken me a couple of months to see how it works out. Overall I'm glad I made the change, however I do miss having 5 days off in a row every other week and at this point I'm really tired and glad for a week off

It's like a tofu thing made out of flour. This gives a basic recipe but it looks like the more spices etc you can pop into it, the better it will taste

http://www.theveganwoman.com/how-to-make-seitan-at-home-a-diy-seitan-recipe-by-vegan-chef-avi-jean-levy/

another version

https://eatingrules.com/how-to-make-seitan/

re work: me too! I think that the long days will be hard but sometimes I don't leave till nearly 6 anyway so I'm hoping not to notice much difference
  • BearPearSun
    Options

Yes! I love seitan. We have it quite regularly. The first time we made it we did it from wheat flour but it took such a long time and made my hands hurt from the cold water that we skip the first steps and use vital wheat gluten instead (we buy it from amazon).

It's important toseason it strongly, it does taste of nothing on its own.
    32 year old woman with a husband and 3 cats...

November 2017: -£26423
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad you found a code, 1 Lucky Lady!

I've just finished my three days of working so had a nice lie in this morning :)

I've just done my supermarket shop and everything is getting SO expensive, the own brand butter has now had another leap up to £1.40. The cat food was on a multi buy offer (2 X boxes of 40 for £22) so I have stocked up on those and bought some better quality cat biscuits that were on offer instead of buying cat treats. I managed to get some YS raspberries and peri peri chicken breasts, not massively reduced but I was planning on buying them anyway! I also got a YS enchilada kit and I will keep an eye out for when the last chunks of the hand carved turkey get reduced at work and make them with that.

I also filled the car with petrol, I normally just put in £5 or £10 but this is taking over from my train ticket as a priority expense so I know that, whatever else happens, I can always get to work. I will top it up again next Sunday which will be a useful exercise in working out how much I am using per week and then I can budget accordingly.

I have agreed to do some extra hours in the run up to Christmas but I have also accrued some holiday and I will try to book a weeks freelance somewhere while I'm off for a cash injection before Christmas!

DS and his friends went out in Central London last night and he hated it, said it was the worst and most expensive night out he's ever had. I'm so relieved, I was worried about them being up there but hopefully now they've done it and seen it's not all its cracked up to be they will stay local.

The rest of today will mostly be spent cleaning and tidying though I do still need to source a box to send of an eBay package. I should try to list some more stuff on there as well as things seem to be picking up a bit on there.

Have a good day all :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Yes! I love seitan. We have it quite regularly. The first time we made it we did it from wheat flour but it took such a long time and made my hands hurt from the cold water that we skip the first steps and use vital wheat gluten instead (we buy it from amazon).

It's important toseason it strongly, it does taste of nothing on its own.

Thanks BearPearSun :)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Nope. I'm not liking the sound of it. :rotfl:
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CLF, hope your OH recovers quickly from his injury :( Did it happen while you were on holiday or just before?
    dawn hoping that you continue to feel better. I love hearing everyone's Christmas production. Used to make a lot when I was younger but don't do anymore as family is so scattered and I wouldn't eat it. I have been sorting out the freezer ready to store certain bits, my mum has requested certain desserts this year.

I don't do anything like the amount I used to do either HK but mincemeat keeps just in the larder for ages, and will get gradually used up over the year. I have actually just finished last year's. Some gets given for Christmas presents too :)

Still not feeling like doing much. Went to DD's this morning and picked up some jars for the mincemeat as I am running low (recycled a lot of ones I had used for pickles etc as you can't get rid of the smell). Still not potted the mincemeat, as I am waiting for the jars to dry (feeble excuse - I have teatowels :rotfl:)

I have wrapped 4 ebay sales for posting tomorrow, and just sold another item, running low on boxes as the supermarket seem to have stopped putting them out for reuse :( I will have to time my ebay listing to coincide with when I can get a decent box! I am certainly not going to buy them, as it isn't worth it for low value items. I will have to look for things that can just go in recycled padded envelopes! Haven't listed anything at all today, and it is too dark to photograph anything now.

Not much else planned except to get this mincemeat into jars, cook some dinner and get an early night!
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2017 at 4:46PM
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    CLF, hope your OH recovers quickly from his injury :( Did it happen while you were on holiday or just before?

Thanks Dawn. It was the day before. 23 hours before the flight to be exact! He seems to be coming along well. Just a bit grumpy that he can't go to the gym!

Sounds like you need to rest up too
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dawn, it seems if you go to early they've not unpacked everything, too late and they've destroyed them! There seems to be a small window at my local Mr T between about 7-7.30pm when you can get a half decent box! I need to send a childs ride on toy and I plan to take it down with me to make sure I get one that fits :D
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure