Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options
sausage_time
sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 9 January 2018 at 1:57PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi, if you're looking into app-based banking we have a fully researched guide that may help.

App-based banking

Back to the original thread...

Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use.

Any experience (positive or negative)?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Too early to ask about experience - they're only in Beta and have only been running live accounts for a very short time.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I must have put myself on their list last year, because Starling sent me a sign-up code by email on Friday as I awaited my flight in an Indonesian airport. To pass the time I installed the Android app, checked their terms and fees, and saw that there are no fees even for using the card overseas, plus some token interest, full FSCS protection. So I proceeded to sign up and verify myself on the app, with a photo of my passport and video with my face and voice. All done within minutes, my sort code and account number shown, and card due to arrive Tuesday. It will lay safely on my doormat for a while, not activated until I do that on the app. So I took off with a brand new fintech bank account on my phone.

Later I emailed to request that my personal data not be used for marketing purposes, and received a polite reply from Patrick within the hour. I deposited £100+ by FP from my Loot account app, and the Starling app, which has a no-nonsense efficient feel, gave me a notification when it arrived shortly after.

That's all I can say for now, but to me it looks good - so far...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Starling Bank app will function on a desktop PC or is it only for smart phone type devices?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dggar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Starling Bank app will function on a desktop PC or is it only for smart phone type devices?
    Their website calls it a "mobile only" bank.

Less vulnerable to cyber attack / fraud..??

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like a slick, professional set up.

I have registered my interest, just waiting for the sign-up code now.
  • Zanderman
    Options
    Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use. Any experience (positive or negative)?
    dggar wrote: »

Just had my code, downloaded App to an android phone and opened an account.

App will definitely only work on a smartphone. Not on a PC and not even a tablet (I had a go, just to see but it won't even install on a tablet).

Asks you for a short video saying who you are, a pic of your driving licence or passport , a PIN for the App, a password and another PIN for the debit card they'll send you. App manages all this initial process for you.

App is slick, better than Atom Bank in my opinion (fewer pointless animations!) but early days on whether it's a good bank.
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zanderman - how long did it take for the code to arrive after you registered?

Paul.
  • Zanderman
    Options
    Paul_01 wrote: »
    Zanderman - how long did it take for the code to arrive after you registered?

Paul.

I've been on their mailing list for months - but I think they've only been offering codes in the last few weeks. So probably less than a month after they confirmed they would be sending a code.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    According to the app details on Google play -the app permissions allow it to read your contacts.
    Now exactly WHY is this necessary?
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    According to the app details on Google play -the app permissions allow it to read your contacts.
    Now exactly WHY is this necessary?

Probably so they can pay your contacts if necessary.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure