Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• Rollers_63
    Rollers_63 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Waiting for my code, the app now says 7 days so will be soon. Not sure that they are sending codes in order of registration though as I put my email down ages ago
  • lessavyfav
    lessavyfav Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    I recently got a Starling account and I'm a big fan so far.

I like the notification you receive as soon as you've spent it - something I'm used to with Monzo card as well, but so much better than my other bank apps (where this doesn't exist). You can see exactly how much money's in your account.

You can also activate and deactivate the card in case you lose it (and find it again), a nice feature that I'm sure will come in handy as I'm always misplacing my wallet :rotfl:

I didn't have enough cash to cover my friend for brunch this morning so I set up her up as a payee - it took about 1 minute from adding her to sending the money, so much easier than logging onto my internet banking.

Also, just saw it's good for travelling overseas, so im going to use it on an upcoming holiday, no ATM fees or foreign transaction fees, woohoo! Hopefully I won't be spending much though..

Really looking forward to seeing what other features they're going to add, if it begins to go more like a 'budgeting insights' style app like Monzo, then I might even be tempted to switch everything over to the one account so that I can get a full overview of my finances. If only they had savings accounts with good interest rates though...that would definitely sway me :A
    Giant London-sized mortgage (started July 2017) £472,561 /£499,000 Current LTV 85%
    S&S ISA £947
    EF: £15,000£15,000 100% to goal
    Renovation fund: £7,275/£10,000 72.5% to goal
    Car savings fund: £9,580/£13,000 73.6% to goal
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rollers_63 wrote: »
    Waiting for my code, the app now says 7 days so will be soon. Not sure that they are sending codes in order of registration though as I put my email down ages ago

I got my code and I didn't have the app installed. Probably got the code because I registered on their website.

Recalling their blurb, it's a Beta distributed according to the OS of the device, i.e. iOS or Android. If they need more Android testers or more iOS testers then those registrations will get the code.
  • Rollers_63
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    I got my code and I didn't have the app installed. Probably got the code because I registered on their website.

Recalling their blurb, it's a Beta distributed according to the OS of the device, i.e. iOS or Android. If they need more Android testers or more iOS testers then those registrations will get the code.

Thanks, yes that makes sense
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »

Though I registered on both Android and iOS (using different numbers) and both are saying the same "code within 2 weeks" so it looks like both have the same waiting period at present.
    ====
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I registered on the 14th May, and just received my sign-up code. So just over 2 weeks.

Painless to open the account, all done in under 5 minutes. Debit card ordered, and funded with the first transfer in.

All good thus far!
  • superM
    superM Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paul,

Did they offered you any overdraft facility?
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I didn't take them up on it though.
  • Polarpenguin
    Polarpenguin Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Got my code today. Registered when I saw this thread & the one on the overseas board around the 16/17 May, so approx 2 weeks. Set up via the app very quick & easy.
    Transferred a few quid over from my current account, really like the instant notification. Card due on Thurs so will try that out once its here.

Main use will be travel, perfect timing with the demise of Travelex's Supa card
  • Rollers_63
    Options
    Got mine yesterday so all up and running now.
    I am on Android, so the only issue now is not being able to do the bank switch as the Android app does not currently have this, although they do assure me its coming soon.
    I paid some money in to get up and running and the alert was instant. Nice touch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure