Spending more than I earn and don’t know what to do!

Options
124»

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - when you look at getting your contents insurance, consider cashback sites like TCB or Qu1dco - it takes a few weeks for the cashback to pay out but an overall net saving.

Do the same with your car insurance at renewal.

Never auto-renew.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • workerdave
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Bin the pet insurance, the whole thing is a massive con in the main because the excess they make you pay is pretty much designed to cover all but the worst bills you'll ever get. Everyone I know with pet insurance has never been able to make a claim even though their pets have been to the vets because the bill has been less than the excess.

This is nonsense. I've just been paid out £600 on a plan that cost me £5 a month for 13 months.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    workerdave wrote: »
    This is nonsense. I've just been paid out £600 on a plan that cost me £5 a month for 13 months.

Let us know what the premiums are the next time you have to renew. Suspect it won't be a fiver a month....
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    On the grocery shopping - when we were in the position of one of us not earning of working part time for a while we focused on that person taking responsiblility for cooking and eating as economically as possible. If your partner is currently not working unless they are disabled to a point where they are unable to manage the cooking etc then there is little excuse for ending up wasting food.

First stop - do a full audit of your cupboards, fridge & freezer so you know what you have. make two lists - the first is for everything that you have, the second, all the things that would benefit from being used up soonest. Then write the following week's meal plans based solely around items that you already have, and focusing on the stuff that needs using. So if there are onions and carrots in the veg basket, and you've got dried red lentils for example, one day could be carrot & lentil soup. Just add to the shopping list the fresh items that you need - milk, bread, fruit & veg. Take a regular look at Aldi & Lidl's Super 6 and Pick of The Week deals to see what fruit and veg is the best value - also the main supermarkets have regular special offers on fruit and veg. Use those for a "springboard" to a meal plan - and start to view meat as an additional flavour on the plate rather than being the thing the whole meal is built around. Cooked right you can stretch a small amount of meat a very long way.

So essentially:
    Work out what you have
    Prioritise the stuff than needs using
    Plan your week's meals
    Write and STICK TO a list.

Trying to shop just once a week bearing in mind you have the car can be helpful if a lot of extra spending arises from "top up shops". Don't get hung up on loyalty to a particular store either - we regularly shop between several depending on who gives us the best deals.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • pennies_from_Heaven
    Options
    With regards to the pet insurance, it may pay you to see if you can find comparable cover elsewhere - the company recommended by vets would have cost me £40pm for our large breed dog, but another company (adverises on tv with cartoon animals) is £16 a month. We had a claim a couple of years ago as the dog (only 4 at the time) had a cancerous polyp in his eye. treatment cost £1200 and was settled quickly with £100 excess to keep the monthly payment down. At renewal time the cost only went up about 20p a month.
    LBM 1.1.16 = £27096.59 - now £17,020.38

Paydbx 2017 - £3588.90/£7000 = 51.27% - number 74

Paydbx 2016 - £6487.31/£7000 = 92.67% - number 74
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Two things that have sprung to mind reading through this again.

Most standard car insurance policies that I've ever encountered exclude "driving for hire or reward" so be cautious and check the detail with any sort of car sharing site.

And - pet insurance - with a younger dog or cat you can shop about for better prices easily - but with an older animal, or once any conditions have been found, you may find you have to stick with one firm to get the cover needed. Remember to check what the policy says in relation to the total amount paid for any condition too - some roll this over from previous years, others don't.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • anna_1977
    Options
    As others have said - stick with pet insurance. Not only for your pet BUT for the third party insurance if your dog caused an accident or anything and you had no insurance you could be royally screwed

Good luck, you seem to be motivated and focused
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    anna_1977 wrote: »
    As others have said - stick with pet insurance. Not only for your pet BUT for the third party insurance if your dog caused an accident or anything and you had no insurance you could be royally screwed

Good luck, you seem to be motivated and focused

Anna this is precisely was I was returning to this thread to note! Third party insurance cover for a dog is vital - this doesn't apply to cats as they're deemed to be "free spirits" so an owner is not held responsible for their behaviour.

It's worth knowing that the Dogs Trust do a standalone public liability policy which works out cheaper than a full insurance for those that don't want to fully insure.
    she/her
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    PP, on the food front, if you don't have a slow cooker get one. BUT put a Wanted post on your local freecycle site first. I am currently slow cooking some reduced priced beef chunks with half a pack of mini. pots and some button mushrooms, chopped carrot and onion from the fridge. All in about a fiver but that will feed three adults and either make another meal or I'll make pasties for hubby's lunches.

One pot meals make life, like casseroles make life so much easier and you can buy cheaper meat. I make a large batch of veggie pasta sauce and another of meat pasta sauce in the SC and freeze in portion sizes. No throwing food away.

Good luck.
    We are having Jack Monroe's Brie and Bacon Risotto tomorrow. Yum. The salmon pasta is also excellent.
  • thepurplepixie
    thepurplepixie Posts: 3,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 November 2017 at 1:09PM
    Options
    If your wife isn't working are you using some of her tax allowance? She can contact HMRC and transfer about £1k of her tax allowance to you giving you £200 more take home pay. My figures might not be up to date but even if she starts work part time in the new year she is unlikely to use all of her tax allowance. Although this isn't a fortune I assume you can get it back dated for the tax year so would be a useful sum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure