Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello sabelu

I've moved your thread and merged it with this existing big thread. If you read back from post #1, you'll find lots of useful information.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katgoddess wrote: »
    We also have the same problem. :o My cat has caught 3 mice and the traps have caught 4. :eek:

I am considering buying a whole house repeller from Primrose London (Pestclear 2000) which comes with a money back guarantee if it doesn't work. Has anyone brought this item?

They also sell a cheaper version that doesn't work through walls . Perhaps this is what people who have been having problems with the sonic plug-ins have brought?

£18 inc postage on Ebay and from Primrose too
    It pays to challenge
  • bookduck
    bookduck Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen these quite a while ago. I've never built one due to size, but have used with great success the snap traps and segments of cadburies chocolate fingers held on by the samm elastic bands that people use in their hair.

Here are some links that I found for continous traps

http://www.kountrylife.com/content/gal1017.htm
    http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Mouse-Trap
    http://www.kountrylife.com/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?bd=forum&th=183237
    http://asktrapperjohn.com/topics/bucketmouse.htm
    read the bumph, now see the film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

a slightly different way http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/easterly110.html
    GOOGLE it before you ask, you'll often save yourself a lot of time. ;)
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Help! An ikkle mouse has just ran across the front room floor while I was sat here in the dark watching TV!
    The dog is useless, I should have bought a cat instead! :rotfl:

I've had mice for a while, and have a sonic repellant that is supposed to deter them, but they are back.
    I've done my best to store any food source out of thier way, I even had to resort to buying a bin to keep the dogs food in as they were eating thru the bag!
    I have a couple of snap traps that are in the cupboard away from the poochies inquisitve nose, but rarely catch a mouse.
    I'd like to put poison down, but I worry about the dog finding a dead mouse that hasn't managed to make it back into it's hole & eating it (she was quick to eat a frozen mouse I had defrosted for the snake :rolleyes:)

Does anyone know of a mouse poison that doesn't effect dogs? :confused:
    Thank you in advance for any replies.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello x_raphael_xx

I've merged your thread with this existing thread.

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nile wrote: »
    Hello x_raphael_xx

I've merged your thread with this existing thread.

Nile

Didn't even think to check for an existing thread! Oops! :rotfl:

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely get a cat...the smell of a cat, 'speshally a full tom will get rid of most of them. Better still, get two. A good cat will track them and wait by the places where they emerge. (my one was a bit too keen...he brought in live moles...)

The other thing is, don't chuck out bread or scraps for the birds..it just encourages them. Most bread put out for birds gets eaten by rats. Block up any old disused outside loos...the rats use the drains as runs.

Put poison by any outside airbricks...they get in there too. Make sure other animals can't get at it tho... Keep ALL food wrapped, sealed and in cupboards off the floor, and keep soap bars wrapped and up somewhere...they'll eat that too given half a chance. Keep a brick on top of your wheelie bins, and keep all areas outside clear of waste food.
  • omegaman
    omegaman Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Is everyone, especially those with children, aware of the effects of electromagnetics on humans?

If not, perhaps you'd like to read the report in the link below before making a decision to purchase these rat and mice repellers.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:NFJbwiFwcVgJ:ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_scenihr/docs/scenihr_o_006.pdf+effects+of+electromagnetics+on+humans&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

I was on the verge of doing so but was immediately put off when I saw 'electromagnetic' and 'leukaemia' mentioned in the same sentence.

There just doesn't seem to be enough information out there about the long-term effects of these devices.

Electromagnetics, no matter how feeble the field, really aren't a good thing to be around.
  • molmalone
    molmalone Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Rat Problem, please excuse me posting here its a 9year problem and i am tired of searching for a solution.Bought house with extension all ok,then this terrible smell one i had never experienced before,then the bluebottle flies started swarming through key holes,told i had a dead rat under floor.Got Council pest controller to visit and was told there was numerous rat skeletons beneath extension floor and i would need a smoke test done to ensure drains were intact and not broken.That proved negative so i then purchased Rat Traps for outside to kill them before entering but there is no visible point of entry to no avail.So then bought Rodent Guard which has to be fitted under flooring which is battery operated which does work ,but the way they are gaining entry has still not been sourced and take away the Guard and i am back to where i was 9years ago.I have been told that the only way to solve problem is to have flooring taken up and concrete floor installed.This extension houses my Kitchen and Bathroom.Any ideas anyone what should i do.
  • molmalone
    molmalone Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Rats Under Extension Floor.
    See the above post
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business