The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    1. It's a !!!!!! shoebox in a boring suburb where we've spent £40k and it's still not finished!

Can you turn this around and turn it into motivation re: the budget? e.g. we can go out with joe and sally tonight and blow £200 on good food/booze, or we can get ourselves a tiny bit closer to being able to afford non-!!!!!! non-shoebox in possibly non-boring location? Obviously that's tricky on a regular basis, it's very much a question of balance on cutting back for Future Selves vs not hating life Right Now.
    5. I honestly don't know. I have a full budget, 3+ years of spending data and I'm trying really hard to actually save the money I need to. But somehow it slips away... no idea what I'm doing wrong :(

If you and/or Mrs E are reluctant on the savings/cutting back front, would it help to pay yourself first? Open up a few regular savers (that don't allow withdrawals) and chuck funds in there on pay day? Harder to justify going out / doing expensive thing X when there's £10 in the current account. (Assuming you're disciplined enough to not pull out the credit card...could always cut those up, or freeze them. Haven't tried freezing myself but apparently the few hours' delay can be quite helpful.)
    1. I feel a bit stuck because I have a snobby fear that if we're not in an area with decent schools, DD will automatically become a crack smoking hellion :o I think we could potentially move in 2020, but we'd need to tart up the kitchen and fix the garage roof. I don't really like houses vs. flats

2020 sounds like a decent amount of time to do both of those things. I'm not an educator, but from speaking with friends who are, parental influence can have a major impact, especially through primary school. Unless all of DD's 5-10yo friends are crack smoking hellions, she's far more likely to model herself after you and Mrs E than anyone else, so if you encourage her to read/learn/explore/etc, that can work wonders.
    2. I have no qualms with saying "I'm skint", but Mrs E always wants to avoid it, coming up with daft rotating excuses when we miss something

Maybe worth discussing with Mrs E how you want to handle those situations. You don't have to say "I can't afford X", you could always spin it as "we're trying out new food craze Y which involves prepping all our own food, we'd love for you to come and try it with us", or even "we can't leave DD with babysitters for [whatever random reason], come over so we're not stuck home alone". Bit simpler if you can just honestly say "our budget doesn't allow for x" (which could mean you're skint or could mean you have a Millionaire Mindset), but if not there are plenty of other ways you can suggest alternatives to expensive restaurants/bars.
    4 and 5. Yes, our budget draws on historical data, but I try and add in flexibility for things to change. I think part of the issue is that there isn't a 'cap' on certain lines in the budget, so I'm probably not very creative at cutting back. I try and balance things month to month, but then you end up short further down the line. Example - put various grocery items through as home maintenance - I can guarantee that home maintenance will be short next month! :mad:

Yeah, it can be quite tricky if you aren't careful about where you rob categories. If you can build up a cushion in those categories it's a lot easier, as you feel safer borrowing £20 from home maintenance if there's still £200 in there for the odd thing that crops up next month (thanks to Murphy).
    7. There may be an element of that, but I'm not convinced. Seriously, at least 50% of our friends are junior vice presidents and highly paid nonsense like that:eek:

This one's a tricky one...I suppose it is the very essence of Keeping Up With The Joneses. You and Mrs E can choose to compare/contrast yourself to their lifestyles/choices, but I think you'd always be setting yourselves up for failure. What constitutes a big expensive night out for you might be 1/10th of their monthly Eating Out budget (and they might have another budget for Takeaways, Fancy Food Delivery, Chef Service, who knows what else the fancy pants folks spend their money on). It's just a completely uneven comparison, and small wonder you feel like you're falling behind, both in your personal finances and in comparison to them. I'm not sure what I would do in that scenario, other than suggest that they meet you at your level (e.g. cheaper dining/activities/etc) and see where that gets you.
    4. It sounds like Mrs E and I don't really have "true friends" by that measure and that hurts a little. We have, however, realised that the balance was wrong on that front and are working to resolve it. But it is so much harder to make friends when you're an adult, eh?

Oh my, yes. Bit depressing. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of friends I've made since moving here since 2010, and 2 of them have moved to Germany so we haven't seen them for 2 years. :( Annoying, this adulting business.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're a lovely bunch - I think Greying has hit the nail on the head and I'm just getting Blue Monday a bit later than everyone else :o
    Awww! Then you know that even though some of this will be true, it's not as bad as you thought it was when you posted originally.
    1. It's a !!!!!! shoebox in a boring suburb where we've spent £40k and it's still not finished!
    I'm not convinced its your forever house, which is how you used to refer to it! If its not, then curtailing some spending is appropriate - you won't get the benefit of it.
    2. Unrealistic expectations? I grew up assuming that a white collar salary would provide a 'middle class' lifestyle. It's just that everybody is either dirt poor, middle class or a millionaire these days, so there's more of a spectrum than I saw growing up!
    Yeah, childhood assumptions ... who knew! I could tell some horrendous stories about that, but I won't bother :D Humans "look up" the financial and social scale, we don't seem to "look down". If you did, you'd see more than 95% of the planet. A white collar salary *does* provide a middle class lifestyle, but nowadays you really have to work at it.
    3. Mrs E doesn't have much of an interest in finances beyond broad themes. She knows that we have debts that I'm working to pay off and she has (reluctantly) gone along with minimal cuts to our lifestyle
    If the two of you aren't on quite the same page, everything's tougher. Have you gone through the figures with her, and the options that result from them?
    4. Impatience? My inability to accept that large parts of adult life are boring as !!!! and filled with things I hate? :D
    Oh god, I feel your pain :eek:

I've recently been working on this: life is not a rehearsal, etc, etc, how do I want to use my house to get most pleasure from this asset, blah blah. What about your career? You're plenty young enough to change it, though I know you've been through that. But you're still dissatisfied.
    1. I feel a bit stuck because I have a snobby fear that if we're not in an area with decent schools, DD will automatically become a crack smoking hellion :o I think we could potentially move in 2020, but we'd need to tart up the kitchen and fix the garage roof.
    She won't, and you know she won't, not automatically :rotfl: but you have every right to live where you want to live, as long as you don't bankrupt yourself :) Your timing gives you two years to tart the kitchen and fix the garage roof. That's doable.

Are you actually snobby, Ed, or are you just putting yourself down? You don't seem snobby to me. Sounds like you're getting triggered into racing along with the local friend group.
    3. With our main group of friends, Mrs E and I are somewhat on the periphery, if that makes sense? She is best friends with the "Queen Bee", but the rest of the group are mostly Bee's old uni friends, their partners etc. Everyone else seems happy with the status quo and we don't really feel close enough to the centre to start a radical potluck movement :rotfl:
    That's a brilliant analysis (and see below too, where you're working to fix it). If you moved, would you try to keep that same group of friends, and what does that say? I know the image of middle class life is a friendly group doing stuff together, but there's nothing wrong with having at least a couple of friends groups. I'm rubbish at it myself :p but my business partner does it: therapy type friends like me, sporty friends (he's horrendously active on the local sports leagues, all sorts), he now has local family, his wife's friends often include him, plus the neighbourhood he lives in has some neighbourhood activities. Very few of those groups overlap.
    4. It sounds like Mrs E and I don't really have "true friends" by that measure and that hurts a little. We have, however, realised that the balance was wrong on that front and are working to resolve it. But it is so much harder to make friends when you're an adult, eh?
    I have very few true friends, and to make it worse, they're all over the country ... but, it can be done. My mum never had friends outside the family till my dad died. The next year, she went to aquarobics class (at the age of 82!!!) and two patchwork groups. She reckoned it took her four years to build up to a situation where she could call members of the groups "friends".
    5. If I hadn't paid for that ticket with cash savings, I'd be even more embarrassed by my spending right now
    Greying's point about making memories is the most important thing you'll ever read on here. Peak Stuff is real! Stuff doesn't give you happiness (unless its a waterproof in a rainstorm). The memories you're making with Mrs E and DD, even with friends and colleagues, are what really matter.
    Revisiting my budget, debt repayment isn't included (so £300/month or so of minimum repayments). That probably isn't helping me balance the books.
    Ooh! Thats going to make a difference then! You'll do it, Ed, you will, you're very conscious about it, and as long as you pay attention to your conclusions, it will be fine.

Sorry about how long this is, I didn't quite notice at first :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    So it only took 3 months, but I have totally lost my joie de credit card repayment (and my enthusiasm in general) :(

You can't be happy all the time. Well, not unless you're a Stepford Wife.
    I am feeling like a total ninny - thought I had this money thing largely down - but have made a raft of stupid mistakes. Noting this down to shame myself for posterity and because I'm finding it hard to live without regret.

Regret is not productive; analyse, change and progress.
    • Being entitled and snobby and feeling like our financial life has ground into reverse because we're in the 'right area', at the cost of £172k of outstanding mortgage and a house that I hate just a little bit

Why do you hate it? What's wrong with it? And don't just say "it's crap..."
    • Mortgage at stupidly high rate of 3.6% until 2020 because we wanted to free up money for home improvements that we spent in part on....

Increasing debt to provide cash has led many people astray. That's why consolidation loans are such a popular topic.
    • Not living within our means! I'll go back to that entitled comment. It is difficult to be the 'poor guys' when every social event we're invited to revolves around expensive trips to bars and restaurants. Yes, I realise how stupid that sounds

Do you enjoy those trips? All of them? Could you put them in order of enjoyment? Would you prioritise/de-prioritise them (as individual events) in future?
    • Exploring every stupid avenue to make money

The only way you earn money through financial (as opposed to labour) means is by taking on and managing risk.
    including: gambling (back in the day I must have !!!!ed £2k of my MB winnings up a wall),

Don't do that. As I'm sure you already know. The only people who make money from pure gambling are bookies.
    (unsustainable P2P (bye bye £1200)

Going for too high a return? Or just unlucky?
    and cryptocurrency (thankfully I realised almost instantly that I couldn't catch a falling knife, bye bye £200)

You may have gotten off lightly. There's probably more of that mania to come IMHO...
    • Burning through savings at a rate of knots with the sinking feeling in my stomach that we're !!!!ed once they're gone as we don't seem to stick to a budget (even when I swear to goodness think I've accounted for *every penny* for 3+ months and we'll still have something like £20k to repay!

You can still overpay on living even when you know what you've overpaid on. Is your budget realistic then?
    • Feeling shame that I don't earn enough to provide my family with the lifestyles that I see friends and peers enjoying, despite earning a wage that I would have killed for 15 years ago!

You shall not covet your neighbour’s house. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour. Including thy neighbour's flash car, and thy neighbour's satin shorts which thy neighbour wears down at the docks on a Saturday night to pay for thy neighbour's lifestyle. Thy shalt not covert thy neighbour's rich sailor friends...

Many of those lifestyles are simply unsustainable. You too can drive forward at 100 mph, but the slightest bump in the road and you (like them) are going to the moon.

Mr Tree and Mr Repossesion are not your friends.
    Rant over. I feel like I belong on DFW more than MFW these days :eek:

The techniques are similar, just a slightly strange concept of "good debt" and "bad debt" separate them. Probably Alvin Hall http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/big_spender/3393911.stm is a better fit than Martin right now.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    You're a lovely bunch - I think Greying has hit the nail on the head and I'm just getting Blue Monday a bit later than everyone else :o

Aw, that's bad - but let's hope that it is just Blue Monday, eh? As we're only 4 hours away from a fresh and new, tip-top Tuesday......... :D

4. It sounds like Mrs E and I don't really have "true friends" by that measure and that hurts a little. We have, however, realised that the balance was wrong on that front and are working to resolve it. But it is so much harder to make friends when you're an adult, eh?.

Yes, it is. Definitely.

But, speaking entirely from personal experience, what I have learnt is the value of the old chesnut, 'friends are with you for a reason, a season or a lifetime' is actually very true. Now, before you call me out for spouting pseudo feely-good nonsens;, what I learnt - but didn't realise is that it is actually true throughout life - we just don't realise it, and we think that making friends when 'young' was easy and that all those mates were lifelong pals..................................... really? The only person, from my primary school days that I had intermittent, yearly contact with, decided to cut ties when I said I was pregnant. Don't ask me why. I see one or two people I went to high school with occasionally, (like once every 2 years or more) and we exchange pleasantries, nothing more.

I have found making friends in adulthood very difficult, and have never shyed away from admitting it. But what I do know is that I was looking at 'making friends' incorrectly. I 'thought' that all friendships have to be lifelong ones. They don't/can't be. But I'm quite loyal, and invest time and effort in friendships and want to keep them going, possibly far longer than I ought. Since i have started to be a little bit more relaxed about not seeing the next stranger as my 'lifelong buddy til death us do part', I've made some really good friends :D Partly by looking in unusual places :D partly by being brave and stepping forward towards situations where friendships could begin to blossom, and partly by remembering the reason/season/lifetime addage.

I was friends with one lovely lass that I met not so long after BG was born. We met in a 'baby' group, discovered we lived near to each other and struck up a friendship. We shared laughs, tears, frustrations and 'firsts' together and had a lovely time. Now my friend has returned to work full-time, has a hefty commute and when not at work/commuting, quite rightly has 'life' to get on with. I've already fixed it in my head that we'll probably only see each other in passing on the odd occasion going forward. But that's OK, because I enjoyed the time we did spend together, and it has encouraged me to push myself (not the most confident in social situations) to meet up with other people. 'R' was in my life for a 'season' - I'm cool with that.

And the other interesting thing about the 'old' friends is that they've voluntarily come back into our lives (relatively recently, and all 3 of them - which is slightly odd, but I'm not complaining). They are all far richer than us - either by fortuitous marriage ;), being senior vice president/chair of the board....... or for just being in good jobs for long enough to have bought property at the right time, knowing it was all backed by substantial inheritance anyway............ So why the heck do they bother with us? The only reason I can suggest is that we are, in our own little way, sort of interesting people. We do things, we listen to the news/read books/watch interesting TV, we can converse and we can listen. We never meet with these friends - never have - in hip bars nor swanky restaurants. We've walked through muddy fields with them, met at home - theirs or ours, helped them with their parties, met for coffee in garden centres etc. We've never tried to keep up with them - and yet they still (after a brief hiatus, reason still unknown), want to keep in contact with us.

Ed have faith in yourself and MrsE to make friends based on who you are, not what you have. I'm too old to be bothered trying to be anything other than what I am - and sometimes that doesn't feel 'good enough'. But looking pragmatically at things, I do have some darn good people in my life that I can call friends, and whilst they are with me, I'm not going to worry about how long we'll be friends, I'm just going to be a good friend and enjoy the ride :D

I'm looking forward to the Calcutta cup match - Scotland have been making such strides - could be a good one............ :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Honest answers!

Don't you be complaining about "boring" - there is an alternative, and it's not a good one.

I lived here before the 1990 exodus...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/residents-leave-landmark-salford-regeneration-13742443
    2. Unrealistic expectations? I grew up assuming that a white collar salary would provide a 'middle class' lifestyle.

Things have changed since then. Because of changes in wages/taxes/benefits, earnings have become compressed.
    3. Mrs E doesn't have much of an interest in finances beyond broad themes. She knows that we have debts that I'm working to pay off and she has (reluctantly) gone along with minimal cuts to our lifestyle

That's got to be stressful.
    4. Impatience? My inability to accept that large parts of adult life are boring as !!!! and filled with things I hate? :D

Did you never go to school? That's what school is there to teach you to cope with.
    2. I have no qualms with saying "I'm skint", but Mrs E always wants to avoid it, coming up with daft rotating excuses when we miss something
    3. With our main group of friends, Mrs E and I are somewhat on the periphery, if that makes sense? She is best friends with the "Queen Bee", but the rest of the group are mostly Bee's old uni friends, their partners etc. Everyone else seems happy with the status quo and we don't really feel close enough to the centre to start a radical potluck movement :rotfl:

If she really is best friends with "Queen Bee", then her excuses are fooling nobody but herself.
    7. There may be an element of that, but I'm not convinced. Seriously, at least 50% of our friends are junior vice presidents and highly paid nonsense like that:eek:

Way back in the mists of time... <struming harp sounds, and wavy pictures> ...Lehman Bros collapsed. One of the workers was on the news and said "I've just phoned up my landlady and told her to keep my deposit in lieu of notice."

He had a high 6 figure salary, and he had nothing...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ed, nothing to add that others haven't said more eloquently, but rooting for you as always. All is fixable xx
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Really sorry to read this here today. You will get through this and nothing needs to be permanent. This might amuse you but I've all too often wished I could be more like you as you seem so switched on and a brilliant father.

Debt - you're proactive about it and will clear it.

House - don't like it, move on. Trust me, you don't have to go to a rough school to become an addict. One of my friends from my now £30,000p/a school wound up in rehab more than once and has only just really got sober after 20 years of quite serious drug abuse. Recently I found out it started in school which I think I was a bit naive to as I can only remember drinking there, nothing more.

Friends / influences - I've spent far too many of my years believing everyone is doing better than me or that I'm simply not good enough. We're all on our own journey. The amount of true friends doesn't matter, the fact you can call someone a true friend does. :)

Providing for your family - Going by what you post on here, you are an excellent provider and enable your family to have a good lifestyle. You make an effort to form meaningful relationships with your wife and daughter making memories together. This will provide your daughter with a stable foundation from which she will find her own way in life. That's more than my parents ever provided me with and more than many people will ever provide their children with.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Really sorry to read this here today. You will get through this and nothing needs to be permanent. This might amuse you but I've all too often wished I could be more like you as you seem so switched on and a brilliant father.

Debt - you're proactive about it and will clear it.

House - don't like it, move on. Trust me, you don't have to go to a rough school to become an addict. One of my friends from my now £30,000p/a school wound up in rehab more than once and has only just really got sober after 20 years of quite serious drug abuse. Recently I found out it started in school which I think I was a bit naive to as I can only remember drinking there, nothing more.

Friends / influences - I've spent far too many of my years believing everyone is doing better than me or that I'm simply not good enough. We're all on our own journey. The amount of true friends doesn't matter, the fact you can call someone a true friend does. :)

Providing for your family - Going by what you post on here, you are an excellent provider and enable your family to have a good lifestyle. You make an effort to form meaningful relationships with your wife and daughter making memories together. This will provide your daughter with a stable foundation from which she will find her own way in life. That's more than my parents ever provided me with and more than many people will ever provide their children with.

Well said Alex. We all go through (a) phase(s) of pretending we are something we are not. Some earlier, some later. Some never stop.

I was brought up in a huge Victorian pile so lots of my schoolmates assumed we were rich. We were not. We were sharing with my grandparents and my Uncle and Aunt and cousins. I rather liked that people thought we had money so I spent lots that I did not have. In the end my Dad bailed me out and I paid him back. Of my friends at that time, most disappeared, one or two stayed. Your real friends don't demand you spend money you cannot afford, or pretend to be someone you are not.

It really is OK to explain you want to clear down some overspending so you can't... you just have to say it. I bet many of your group are extending beyond their means.

Part of being a grown up, facing up to yourself. Whether you like it or not. A good start Ed - and a small relief to me - you always seem so on the ball, so in control, so savvy and brave. I don't feel quite so inadequate now I know you too have doubts and bad days. Thank you for your honesty. Really.

All that said, we know you can do this, because you are a bright star in the diary space, and we all follow you. What you say, others do. They do it and it works. So it does work. Budget, overpay, be ruthless about your spending. You know all this. Only an hour and a half until Tuesday
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 January 2018 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Hi Ed,

Well, that's two replies I have written that the computer has eaten! :mad:

Secondly, chin up: you're doing better than you think. I could say more, but everyone has already pretty much said it, and besides, the computer will just eat it! :D

Also, l I hate to add the the small chorus of 'phew!' but it's nice to know that even SuperEd has his off days cos you seem so goshdarn on top of it normally! :D;)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are all so helpful and positive that multiquote fails me for the first time ever and were I to respond point by point, I would almost definitely break the internet :coffee:

Hiddenshadow - our friend group are largely Mrs E's friends. I have a few work friends and we're happy with the very occasional beer soaked trip to the pub (say every few months). It's expensive, but it comes out of my pocket money and it's money well spent imo. Mrs E's group, on the other hand, is large and ill defined, so there's basically the offering of an event (usually with a restaurant meal) every few weeks. I miss about half of these, but she feels obliged (which she shouldn't). All for saving money, but it wouldn't really improve the budget as it's personal spends and I think it's fine to have a little walking around money?

We use the babysitting excuse a lot (and legitimately, we'd pay £50 an evening for a babysitter with even basic credentials and some experience)!

There are occasional board game nights etc. and they're fab, it's just that our unimaginative group of snowflakes reverts back to posh restaurant 3 minutes later. Which is a PITA with the uneven incomes, as some of the group are the horrible !!!!!! having 4 courses at a 3 course dinner and downing cocktails all night because they're only paying 1/x of the bill :mad:

We're not averse to cutting back, it's just that the overspending is pretty fundamental (comments to KC, below).

Karmacat - it's definitely not our forever house - I don't feel any connection to it. I'm aware that I spoke about it as if it was back in the day, but I was in a pretty dark and fearful place back then, still fixated with the baby we lost and trying desperately to 'put a ceiling' over at least the financial risks in our life, something I thought that I could control. This led to a ton of overcompensating with DD and I think the wrong decision was made.

If we moved, it wouldn't impact on our friends per se, but we are trying to make different types of friends. I thought I had it sorted when I started to add 'work friends' at my last job, but that fell by the wayside a little, much as I worked at it.

Mrs E and I had a proper chat. It took a while for the fact that we have a structural issue with our spending to sink in. It was the sort of thing where she was talking about "less takeaways" and I had to politely repeat the fact that no amount of takeaways really affected the fact that our basic mortgage/housing bills absorb 50% of our income! She shares my frustration that a basic suburban life with one kid and a car appears to be beyond the reach of a couple with ok wages.

As for snobby - I don't know - maybe it's more that overcompensating for DD thing again.

ZTD - I don't like our house because: 1) we moved from a tenement flat where the dimensions were like a set from Land of the Giants (25' living room, hall you could hold a football match in sort of thing). The current house feels poky and cramped - you can only have 3 people sitting in the kitchen at any one time and you need to dance around people to get through doorways etc. 2) because we can see all of the house, I'm acutely aware that some of the fabric hasn't been maintained - it feels like we're running to stand still just to bring this back up to code 3) It has become a money pit, but it's tiny 4) I hate hate hate gardening :rotfl:

P2P - I was targetting a relatively ambitious yield (which was the wrong way to address our budgetary issues) - but I was massively diversified and had my eyes open. I suppose a mix of leverage biting me on the !!!! and significant issues with due diligence affecting some of the larger platforms. I think I may yet get some money back once firms go through administration etc.

As for patience - if I was a patient man I'd probably rule the world already :rotfl:

I don't sit around on a day to day basis coveting the salaries and lifestyles of our friends and neighbours. When you are dragged along to night out after night out with the same boring bunch of petrolheads and gadget addicts, it's hard to avoid comparions (which I'm reliably informed are odious). Honest to God - all I want is one friend who doesn't give a rat's !!!! about what car they drive :eek:

Greying - I'd never accuse you of spouting feel good nonsense - you just think about things on a deeper level than most of us :)

That whole post was quite lovely - I suppose we're just waiting for our friends to realise that they like us for ourselves as opposed to the fact that we accompany them to restaurants far too often :D

I sometimes wonder if it's 'just us'. We have a lot of interests. We discuss the world, politics, society, ethics and science at home. We enjoy a documentary as much as a crappy sci-fi movie. We cook (well) for ourselves and love trying new food and new experiences. We look outwards and can't really be arsed talking about work, cars and shiny !!!!. We both feel (to quote Frank Turner before he got vaguely famous) that "the air-conditioned life has left me gasping for some real conversation". Just waiting for the conversation to begin.

Gallygirl - I know you and my old MFW friends are always lurking in the background in a positive way - like 'The Godfather" but without all the murders ;)

Alex - Praise from Caesar! At the risk of this becoming a total love-in, I've always admired your DIY skills and the fearless way that you're reinventing yourself despite yourself :)

I do feel like a good Dad most of the time, that is my single biggest positive takeaway from the last couple of years. I have been fearless in protecting family time and our life together and while I rarely feel like a parenting guru, I know what good looks like and our family is doing well :T

I think that we will decide what to do re. moving in 2020. As it stands, we are tied into a long fix with the attendant ERCs and I am not giving away my equity. If nothing else, all the money we have spent on the house has increased the value and because values in our area continue to climb, we'd probably get our deposit and most of the money spent back if we sold (unusual, as home improvements are often just sunk costs).

Mrs E isn't so keen on moving. I think she feels invested (financially) in the property due to our renovations, that we need to get a certain level of enjoyment of the improvements before we move. Perhaps she would feel differently if she'd spent a year herding contractors? ;)

Suffolk lass - That's an interesting tale - I think I grew up with quite a few people who were in a similar boat.

I think that sometimes we all have a public face and our private doubts to carry, I think I just got tired of being a duck yesterday, my splashing was above the water line :)

Tuesday feels a bit brighter than Monday did.

Positive Balance - Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C before posting :rotfl:

I am sorry for being overly upbeat :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport