PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has this bad weather taught you?

Options

Comments

• adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    some people will kill for a pint of milk or a loaf of bread....... :eek:
    :rotfl:
    Exactly! I do wonder, why just milk and bread? Do people have no imagination or not realise they can exist for a few days without those? If I was that desperate for food I wouldn't just buy milk & bread, chances are the shop will also sell rice which would last a lot longer!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've learnt to always wear gloves when you make a snowman.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    Not to eat yellow snow?

Regards,

White.

(I'll get my coat.....)
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    We have been extremely lucky, we have had only a smidging of snow, but the cold and the ice has been/ still is extremely bad..

food wise..... I will allways make sure i have some bread and semi-skimmed milk in the freezer, because, as soon as a snowflake falls everyone rushes to the shops and panic buys..

we are lucky we have coal fire/central heating and for the last few years we have been burning wood to save money... ok the front of the fire in the living room is so merky looking, but i am not
    proud:rotfl: so over the last week or so i have learned dont put off cutting and storing more wood.... as we have had to buy alot more coal..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • nobodyspecial
    Options
    adelight wrote: »
    :rotfl:
    Exactly! I do wonder, why just milk and bread? Do people have no imagination or not realise they can exist for a few days without those? If I was that desperate for food I wouldn't just buy milk & bread, chances are the shop will also sell rice which would last a lot longer!

Yeah but it isn't so good in a ham and mustard sandwich :D And as for spreading marmite on it :p
  • salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2010 at 1:16PM
    Options
    It's made me realise that I'm not mad for hoarding stock cupboards etc, but that I need to be a fair bit fitter as walking a mile up the really steep road in snow because they can't get busses or gritters up there is really tiring! (My calves still ache)

All in all we did okay (I'm in Sheffield where we had around 2 foot in some areas), but even today I'm still hearing stories of people buying supplies like it's the end of the world.
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First time I was able to leave the house yesterday after being housebound, due to the weather, since last Tuesday. Hardly any fresh fruit or veg in the supermarket!:(

What the bad weather has taught me is.....how very, very fortunate I am to be able to get out and about normally, every day whenever I wish and how difficult life must be for those who are permanently housebound due to disability etc. Has made me realise just how much I take for granted....quite humbling really.....:o
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    1. Always run a well stocked storecupboard.
    2. Mever run out of loo rolls.
    3. Bedsocks and hot water bottles are a huge comfort.
    4. if you're stuck indoors for days, always open some windows for a brief period to remove the stuffy air inside the house.
    5. Have plenty of bird food in stock.
    6. Keep a good supply of candles, matches & torches in case of a power cut.
    7. if you're trying to economise on heating, turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees and wear thermals and fingerless gloves if you're using a computer.
    8. Always have a few good books and a jigsaw to pass away the time.
    9. You can't beat a bowl of home-made soup to warm you up.
    10. Do some daily exercises indoors if snow or ice make it difficult to walk outdoors.
    11. If you're trapped indoors, make use of the time to catch up on chores you wouldn't normally have time to do like clearing out wardrobes, catching up with letters, diarising the dates when all your insurances or fixed savings accounts fall due, tidying up domestic paperwork, etc.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I've been glad of my store cupboard in the past week. The ony thing I ran out of was fresh milk as the milkman didn't deliver but managed to walk a mile in a snowstorm to Tesco and got some. We did have long-life but I think it tastes funny in tea.

What I did learn in this cold snap was to check everything-DH broke the snow shovel when clearing out the garage in the summer and didn't replace it so on Tuesday I was trying to clear snow off the drive with an old snow board as he had the garden spade in the car.Now of course all the shops have sold out of snow shovels.

What I learnt last winter was not to fill the wheelie bin with rubbish from the church Christmas fayre (I know we shouldn't really do it but the church bin was full)as it then snowed and the bins weren't emptied for a month.
  • gillian62
    gillian62 Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    I have learnt to find the show shovel before snow has covered everything. Also B&Q etc were selling squares of wood with a long plank of wood as snow shovels for £6 so I may learn to make some ready for next time and sell them for £4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure