Help! Emloyed a company to do block paved driveway and they're travellers!

Options
Hi folks,

I've made a massive mistake (I think) and employed a company after a canvasser came round and gave me a quote on Saturday to do me a new block paved driveway.
I'd told him on Saturday that I'd have a think about it after he gave me the quote. He was driving a nice newish van with the company name etc on and he was very presentable. They've got a website etc so it all seemed cosher. He came back yesterday afternoon and I said if he'd knock a bit more off the price then I'd go for it which he met me in the middle.
I then sign a order/quotation that itemises all the work to be done and he said he would be round tomorrow (today) to spray up etc.
My gf called me at 7:45am this morning saying 5 men had turned up with a digger and had started. I've rang the "landline" numbers on their website and it goes through to the salesman's mobile. I'm 99.99% certain that they're travellers and worried about what I've let myself in for.
So far they've removed all my old concrete driveway and taken it away and laid and compacted a hardcore sub-base.
They've been back round with a sample which I wasn't particularly keen on so they've gone away to get some others.

Can this work out ok, are some of them genuine and do a good job? What can I do......

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joeyvicks wrote: »
    I've rang the "landline" numbers on their website and it goes through to the salesman's mobile. I'm 99.99% certain that they're travellers and worried about what I've let myself in for.

Why do you suspect they're travellers? Many legit small firms give landline numbers that redirect to mobiles. There's a two man removal company we've used who have a couple of diverse geographical landline numbers - gives them a wider area of customers.

What did their references say about them, did they look like they did a good job for them? If they've got good references then you have nothing to fear.

A bit concerning that they've started work without all the materials being specified. I'd personally want the agreed materials specified on any contract before signing.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many many years ago I worked with some travellers doing block paving and they were good at the job well getting work whilst me and a few other guys actually carried it out, My only thing would be agree everything in writing first and anything that crops up which could involve amending the work or additional needs agreeing first.

I used to bill my guy daily and he hated me for it saying why do I not trust him, He was good as gold and to be honest I did relax after a few months with him and accept cash over longer periods of time.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't hold your breath, you're to late now.
    I know when i was doing the double glazing if we got an order the people had 7 days to cancel 'cos we did cold canvassing.
    But if they've started, can't see you can cancel now.
    Lesson to be learnt ......... Never buy at the door.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • joeyvicks
    joeyvicks Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I did agree Marshalls tegula block but I think they've tried to fob me off with something they've got leftover from another job.

They are definitely travellers (which I have no problem with as such) as they have irish accents (nothing wrong with that I'm half irish) and I can just tell.

The company isn't a limited one by the looks of it but as I say they have a badged up van, website and keep saying they are keen to do a good job as they want to be able to show it to other people in the area as an example of their work.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you agreed on the Marshalls blocks, did you get it in writing ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • joeyvicks
    Options
    Once I'd said I didn't like the ones he brought round he didn't quibble with getting me what I'd originally agreed and it has been left tonight with them going to pick them up from Jewsons ready to lay tomorrow.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just pay them in arrears only for work they have carried out and you shouldn't have a problem.
    If you're worried about the quality of the work keep an eye on what they are doing.

Usually the traveller scam is to quote £500 verbally and then ask for £5000 at the end of the job. If you have it written down, I doubt it's a huge scam. At worst their work will be poor, but get someone you trust to inspect it if you're worried.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • joeyvicks
    Options
    Flagged up to them this afternoon that the sub-base need increasing as I don't want it dishing where my car will be and they agreed to top it up in the morning. I'm making sure that I'm around tomorrow to witness it.
    They've got all the right gear, ride on roller, mini-digger, the aco drainage channels they have dropped off are pucker aco's and the recessed manhole cover is good quality.
    Was planning on paying them by credit card before I started getting worried. Am I right to tar them with the same brush or could they
    be genuinely here to do a decent job?
  • rr755507
    rr755507 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joeyvicks wrote: »
    Was planning on paying them by credit card before I started getting worried.

Are you sure they accept card payments?
  • joeyvicks
    Options
    rr755507 wrote: »
    Are you sure they accept card payments?

Well he did say when he was canvassing that they accept cards, instalments etc.

Probably will change his tune when he comes to collect his money...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure