PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    Can I suggest you buy lidls nappies, they are far better than the top name ones and the pullups are brill. Of course if you don't have a lidls near you this might be a problem.

I made all of DDs weaning meals in advance. Just pureed up every veg & fruiit conceivable. Even pasta & white fish and she is the best eater ever. Went to the market, spent a few pounds and had meals for about 3 months. Not what you are looking for I know but it really saved me money.

DS had jars and is the most fussy little person I have ever met.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping in to update the sig and to moan about the prices at the Spar!

£3.30 for a bottle of milk and a small piece of cheese! Daylight robbery!
    Still I suppose better than going to Mr Ts and spending a tenner on stuff I don't need.

We're using up what's in from now until Sunday (working away next week) so its a like it or lump it few days for the OH!
    Tomorrow will be veggie sausages, roasties, peas and gravy for me and freezer curry for OH, Friday is lunch out for OH (work tradition!) and so just beans on toast for him in the evening so I'll have a weird and wonderful combination from the freezer or even just something on toast for me too.

Shouldn't spending again before we go so may not see/hear from me for a while - good luck to all with the spends next week!
  • SJC31
    SJC31 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    katiejones wrote: »
    errm sorry to ask but what is NSD ??

It's a No Spend Day. I think? I'm new to this lark, and am just getting used to what everything means!! Took me a while with the Mr T's too but it struck me like a bolt of lightening. Eventually!! :rotfl:
    1st GC Oct 08-£100/£6.13 :p
  • fedupnow
    fedupnow Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    Happy October everybody

OCTOBER!!!! where has the year gone?

I'm going to aim for £180 this month.

This is doable........ I have failed every month so far:o :o

Not this one OH NO!!!
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone - gosh it's really like Winter out there now so Cottage Pie tonight for Dinner, bulking out with loads of veg and oats of course.:D Pudding will be the remainder of the Giant Jaffa thingy, it was so big we only used half of it.

Can't remember who asked about Twinks, but yes you can freeze them, I get about 50 out of the mix and freeze what we don't need at that time.

Need to pop to Lidl's on the way back from School run today, run out of Fruit, kids seem to be eating more of the stuff but I guess as it's getting colder they need to re-fuel more often.;)

Can't remember who was asking about CHICKEN - Lidl do Free Range Chickens for £3.49 a KG.

Must go now as Porridge bubbling again - have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• imcognito
    imcognito Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Can I suggest you buy lidls nappies, they are far better than the top name ones and the pullups are brill. Of course if you don't have a lidls near you this might be a problem.

I made all of DDs weaning meals in advance. Just pureed up every veg & fruiit conceivable. Even pasta & white fish and she is the best eater ever. Went to the market, spent a few pounds and had meals for about 3 months. Not what you are looking for I know but it really saved me money.

DS had jars and is the most fussy little person I have ever met.

Thanks!! I have a Lidl up the road, managed to find a jumbo box of nappies in Mr M (is that right LOL?? ) the other day for 7.99 so stocked up for a while.. I guess Ill have to train DS1 that he doesnt HAVE to have spiderman on the front of his pull ups LOL!!

Will remember the weaning tips for this time next year when baby no 3 will need it.

Am hoping to have a NSD today, ahvent spent since weekend so total for month so far is 0.00 if I dont count the weekends shopping start fromt eh 1st right??

Thanks for tips guys will go thru recipes now.
    BSC Member 207 :beer:
    Mummy to 3 Wonderful Children 2 Boys and a Princess
  • tirlittan
    tirlittan Posts: 3,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I haven't spent anything on groceries yet, but it's only the second day. Today I need to buy some lunch items and tomorrow I'll go for a proper shop.

Yesterday was a NSD thanks to my darling BF. :)
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all

first time I have posted this month dont know where time goes to my challenge started on 25th and so far have had one Mr T delievery of £78.80 which was mainly washing powder cat food tinned stuff like tomatoes, beans and lentils etc etc for the whole month since then not spent anything else yet plan to go to farm foods and aldis on fri after work and at the moment our local butcher is doing 4 packs of meat for £10 so plan to get that as well that could be chicken breasts, thighs, sausages, pork and lamb chops stir fry packs so need to update menu plan for I go for both

Godd luck everyone
    Frugal challenge 2024

• kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a delivery from Tesco last night, £99 of food for £77.pp using a £12 code on the vouchers board. I have my meals planned for the next 10/11 days. So hopefully the only spends from the grocery budget will be on diluting juice because I forgot to order that, and milk the 6 pints will keep us going another 2 days.

I made Twinks Hobnobs last night to soften the blow of the lack of biscuits and snacks for the boys (6,5 & 3) they took it well, and the big 2 boys went away quite happy with their snack for playtime at school.

We are having burgers in buns, salad and HM potato wedges tonight. I will be making pizza dough for the boys home dinners tomorrow (I don't work Friday so they get to come home at lunch time). I will be making truffles and HM bread and coleslaw today too. Does anyone know if coleslaw freezes well? :confused:

Have a great day everyone, away to update sig.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Coleslaw is one of the very few things I wouldn't freeze -trust me, I can't say that about much lol
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport