I will never be £16,676.84 in debt again

Options

Comments

• mrsonions
    Options
    enthusiasticsaver - we are moving house soon so will post an SOA when we have moved as I'll have a better idea of where I am at.

I used my income to pay off the Barclaycard, yes. Now tackling the Barclaycard £926.10 debt. I've worked out I need to overpay/save around £150 a month. I am on track to do this this month if I stick to my budget. This month is the first month in absolutely ages that I have actually budgeted properly rather than free styling (badly!) which is what I usually do!

At work today! Planning an NSD. Lunch from home - chicken, salad, avocado in a big wrap, was YUM!

We have Macmillan Coffee Morning at work tomorrow so will bake the same cake I baked yesterday as I know I have the ingredients at home!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Not much to report but I know what I'm like - if I don't post daily I'll end up falling off the diary wagon.

Today was Macmillan Cancer Support day at work so donated a fiver.

I also brought my niece a present for her birthday. New Frozen pyjamas, £6.95 down from £16.95! Bargain!!:money:
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Why is it that when you decide to get your finances in order, something sets you back massively? Today my fridge broke so £110 to replace it, just brought a small one for the time being but still £110 I didn't need to spend :(
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,632 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrsonions wrote: »
    Why is it that when you decide to get your finances in order, something sets you back massively? Today my fridge broke so £110 to replace it, just brought a small one for the time being but still £110 I didn't need to spend :(

Do you have an emergency savings account? Alongside reducing debt saving for emergencies is a good idea so it does not throw your budget out. It also stops you being tempted to use credit cards when something breaks and needs replacing immediately like a fridge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrsonions
    mrsonions Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have an emergency fund :(. How much should I save?

Fridge was brought with cash. I then got hit with a nearly £300 final bill from British Gas:eek:. Phoned them to query it and it is correct I'm afraid. They have said I can pay it off in instalments, thank god! Will phone them tomorrow with a payment plan.

It doesn't rain but it pours! Will keep going though!!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Also - got paid £112 for some freelance work I did for a friend, every little helps!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Very pleased to report I have sold 4 items on eBay and made £35! :j:j:j
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Been a busy week!

My personal spends have been less than £10. Monday I got taken out for lunch with work so a freebie, Tues & Weds I worked from home, another lunch brought for me on Thursday which just left me with today – spent £7.70 on lunch, blueberries and a can of diet coke. Shocking how nearly £10 can disappear so easily but, as I haven’t spent anything all week, I didn’t mind today and we had no food for me to bring in – it’s so tough with a tiny fridge!

I’ve decided it’s DH and DS that cost me money! DH had dentist, phone repair and Ubers from a night out and so far this week I have brought DS new winter boots, wellies and a warmer duvet as he keeps waking up in the middle of the night and coming in to my bed because he’s cold! I also had to buy gifts for two girls who left my son’s nursery. They have been so good to DS I wanted to get them something nice, luckily I found some Estella Bartlet bracelets BOGOF on ebay so that’s them sorted.

I also paid a year’s worth of buildings insurance as it was cheaper in one go. I am going to set up a transfer each month of £11 to cover this and start doing this with all the insurances, car tax, etc. Feels good to be organised!

So glad it’s Friday as it’s been a hard week and I’m tired! Happy weekend everyone!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Haven’t posted in a few days!

Ticking along nicely, have been bringing in food from home for lunches and had lunch out today which can be claimed on expenses.

Sold an old mobile for £200! That will be great for the CC overpayment pot!

In other news, my toddler is still costing me money but I am really fighting the urge to keep buying him whatever he wants! I find that so hard.

It was my niece’s birthday so spent a tenner there for a present.

Other people cost me money!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    I'm so pleased! A week till payday and I have £700 still in my bank account. :money:

I have started to buy the odd Christmas present here and there. I have about 30 people to buy for :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure