PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    I am going to receive a copy for my birthday next month.

:iloveyou:
    You're my new BFF. :D

I'm now the proud owner of a brand new copy of the Hairy Bikers Great Curries book for £7.00.
    And I also bought Rick Stein's Venice to Istanbul book which has lots of recipes that appeal for £6.00 (better than 75% off).

I did look at Hairy Bikers Meat Feast but decided there wasn't so many recipes that I'd use.

WHS have lots of hardback cookery books at 65% + off:
    Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Mary Berry, HFW, Tom Kerridge, Nigel Slater, Gordon Ramsay.....
    Thanks to the other posters who offered advice re my 'mission'. :)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    :iloveyou:
    You're my new BFF. :D

I'm now the proud owner of a brand new copy of the Hairy Bikers Great Curries book for £7.00.
    And I also bought Rick Stein's Venice to Istanbul book which has lots of recipes that appeal for £6.00 (better than 75% off).

I did look at Hairy Bikers Meat Feast but decided there wasn't so many recipes that I'd use.

WHS have lots of hardback cookery books at 65% + off:
    Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Mary Berry, HFW, Tom Kerridge, Nigel Slater, Gordon Ramsay.....
    Thanks to the other posters who offered advice re my 'mission'. :)

Hi Pollycat,
    My new BFF.
    I'm so glad that you have finally got your Hairy Biker Curry book. I can't wait to start using mine.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • MONEYTREE_2
    MONEYTREE_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    As I wear a dress size 30/32 I never find anything to wear in CS.

However, I was out and about in town for the day and realised that the weather was not as warm as expected and I was in a sleeveless top! Having no car to pop home, and being unable to just pop into a shop and buy something (there are no plus size shops at all in my town!) I popped into a CS to see if I could find a shawl, poncho or pashmina or something. I didn't care what it looked like, I decided I would grab the first thing that was half-suitable then give it away to another CS near me once I got home.

I spotted a smart black shrug, full length sleeves, waist length with a waterfall front that could be left loose or tied up. It was extremely well-made, must have been expensive, but it was only a size 20 --- 6 sizes too small!

I tried it on in a fit of mad optimism and to my amazement it fits me like a glove!

I paid £1 for it, and far from throwing it away, it became a staple of my wardrobe. In fact, it never goes in the wardrobe because I wear it almost every day -- I am wearing it even now!

£1. Amazing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MONEYTREE wrote: »
    I tried it on in a fit of mad optimism and to my amazement it fits me like a glove!
    Now that's what I call fate :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't been in shops properly this week but did pop in sue Ryder today with do. I got a lovely white laura Ashley cotton and linen t shirt type top with lovely detailing for £3 . I've seen a fashion photo of the woman I want to be and so I'm setting out to recreate the outfit. So far I've got my £3 white top. Some £5.99 Hobbs sandals off eBay and I need a pair of light coloured jeans and ideally an unstructured blazer (or will have to borrow one off dd) so I am hopeful of having the outfit that cost about £100 in my possession for £15
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hi Pollycat,
    My new BFF.
    I'm so glad that you have finally got your Hairy Biker Curry book. I can't wait to start using mine.
    Hi. :wave:
    The recipe that was specially recommended to me in the book that set me on my mission was Afghan Aubergine with yogurt, it's on page 222/223.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This C/S shopping malarkey is proving much more expensive these days since the hospice sales ceased with all it's wonderful 50p bargains :(

Anyhoo, today's, probably overpriced, finds from the community shop ......

A FatFace, linen, bucket-type sunhat, still with tags, £2.50. At least it's fold-uppable and might save me from sunstroke!

A Harvey Nichols, (didn't know they were a 'brand"?), as new, black lacy, 100% cashmere, crossover 'ballerina stylee' cardi for £3. It is as light as a thistle and will be very useful over summer dresses.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A good time in the charity shops in St John's, Worcester today (the bit of Worcester over the bridge!)

Older son wanted some shorts - found in a different charity shop yesterday. But I bought GREEN ONES, how silly of me :-/ These will be going back but today was lucky to find 2 cream pairs, one from Next, one from H and M, which are to his liking.

A grey Hollister T shirt for younger son which he is incredibly pleased with - nice quality fabric.

And for me, a White Stuff tunic dress with different coloured leaf print.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh dear.....the lovely sunshine prompted me to have a little tripette to a nearby market town this afty. The Oxfam charity shop there had some of the brand new Ted Baker stuff. :) Was sorely tempted by two items - a black and bright blue tweed, cape stylee coat with button fastenings that sort of make sleeves. Beautiful fabric but was priced at £39....found it online at £150. Also a black padded jacket with lots of pockets, zips and tweedy flaps and with a gorgeous flowery silky lining - would be fab for next winter, also priced at £39. (can't find it online to check the price).

I RESISTED THE TEMPTATION :rotfl:

I think the hot weather helped - might not have been so strong if it had been a chilly day!

(but I keep thinking about both items:o)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Oh dear.....the lovely sunshine prompted me to have a little tripette to a nearby market town this afty. The Oxfam charity shop there had some of the brand new Ted Baker stuff. :) Was sorely tempted by two items - a black and bright blue tweed, cape stylee coat with button fastenings that sort of make sleeves. Beautiful fabric but was priced at £39....found it online at £150. Also a black padded jacket with lots of pockets, zips and tweedy flaps and with a gorgeous flowery silky lining - would be fab for next winter, also priced at £39. (can't find it online to check the price).

I RESISTED THE TEMPTATION :rotfl:

I think the hot weather helped - might not have been so strong if it had been a chilly day!

(but I keep thinking about both items:o)
    If you're still thinking about them this morning, it justifies a return visit.

I personally cannot imagine spending £78 on two items of clothing from a chazzer, but if it's within your means, go for it!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure