Comments

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi-there-smiley.gif?1292867616
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    What a lovely post GP. I can't help but think of home and growing up when you post about your exploits. My richness was growing up for the first 18 years surrounded by the sights you choose for your picnics and I never once took for granted the beauty on my doorstep. I was brought up to appreciate my surroundings, stunning as they were, and I appreciate the equal but very different beauty I am surrounded by in my new home. I spend a lot of time standing and staring ;) taught by my dad, who stood motionless at the back door for an hour every morning, waking up and taking in the beauty :) he still does ;)

Just wanted to say I have found a fab recipe for Avocado's which is so very simple I can't help but think you will have used it before. It added levels to avocado's that I hadn't previously tasted :)

Halve an avocado and place both halves on a baking tray. In a bowl mix some cheddar cheese, lime juice and chopped chillies in any proportion you wish ;) and then cover the avocado's with it. Bake for 15ish minutes on gas 5/190 or until the cheese is browning off. I ate it twice as a dinner on its own this evening, fulfilling perfectly my nutritional requirements for fat & protein - it filled me up for the entire evening :D Delightful too, to sit and eat with a spoon :D

Much love xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely post, GP. Sorry to hear your relative is unwell. We recently went to see the in-laws, and they are lovely and so undeserving of the troubles life is sending them... but fair to say they haven't looked after themselves too well. It can only help if we do, I suppose. xxx
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2015 at 6:00AM
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Monday morning. Back to it.

Lilt our dinner on Saturday evening was not a million miles away from yours :D We had Tricolour Avocado bake with new potatoes, and asparagus. The original recipe calls for mozzarella, but I substituted grated cheddar instead, as it was what I had;

002_zpsf8e3iqsm.jpg

Last night we had Californian Barley Bowl with woodland asparagus pesto (thanks Fortune :)) which I had made using sunflower seeds :D Plenty of oriental greens and asparagus running through the Barley - Heidi would have approved :D

021_zpsxbe4qhlc.jpg

Thanks so much for popping in, reading and commenting. I continue to appreciate it.

See y'all later.

Greying x
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 16 June 2015 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

How are things with you?

They are ok at Greying Towers.

I was thinking of INOD yesterday - quite a regular occurrence actually :D I had finally got round to sorting out my CD's and bagged them up - something that had been on my kondo list before I even discovered about kondoing! I took them into the charity shop yesterday. Sure, I could have got 30p a disc from that online place, and I know it would have been the :money: thing to do. But do you know what.... I find the whole putting in of the CD equivalent of an ISBN a little bit soul-destroying - especially when the answer is *30p*. Can it not once have been 42..... pence? :rotfl:

I've kept about 10 CD's. I'm in two minds about several of them, and then there are several that I probably will keep, for one reason or another - ABBA 'Gold', because you can sing along to every track and not get bored of them; Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue' - because I remember where I bought it..... a record store, in the Twin Towers, NYC 1999; Buena Vista Social Club - just because :cool: ................... But the rest? Not played in yonks, and not missed. I'm finding that with a lot of the things that I've parted with. I'm not missing them, I didn't use them, they were just taking up space, which I'm afraid begs the question, why the h*ll did I buy them in the first place?

We just watched the second instalment of Kevin McCloud's prog about folks who've decamped to other parts of the globe in search of a simpler life. He mentioned; whilst putting adobe onto a wall of an earth ship house, that human beings tend to fall into 2 groups: buyers and consumers or makers and creaters. I thought as he said that, are many of us guilty of just buying stuff to *fit in*, or keep up with fashion? I'm not sure that I ever liked Britpop. I'm really not sure why I even bought a couple of CD's from groups that are supposed to have defined the 'era'.

If we ever do get to move, our next abode can be ever so wee; we'll have nowt to put in it! :rotfl: I have just read Francine Raymond's book (all the back garden chicken keepers will know who she is :D), about moving from Suffolk to Whitstable in Kent. She says the same about having too much stuff, getting rid at the 'old' home end and then still having unopened boxes at the 'new' home end, that eventually become 'stock' for carboot sales and Christmas fayres. I think starting on the decluttering route is the key, not necessarily how quickly you complete it, unless for some reason there is a strictly imposed deadline. I think having started on the decluttering at Greying Towers, I have actually got rid of far more stuff - and been 100% about everything that has gone - even if it has been a longer process than I thought it would be. I even managed (finally) to declutter equipment that has been at the parentals - since I left home! It brought back some wonderful memories, as I looked through it all, but the next morning, it went straight to the charity shop - where I hope it has sold, and is now bringing joy to someone else.

Dinner this evening should have been soup - according to the planner, but now the avocadoes have finally agreed to ripen, and I had some asparagus to use up, I decided on a salad bowl instead.

013_zps87gea3jp.jpg

I used a peeler to peel the purple asparagus, which is nice to eat raw - tastes like raw peas :D This was tossed in some vinaigrette. The avocado was chunked - although the one in the pic was just roughly broken up by hand - a lovely big avocado disappointed a little, since the stone inside it was HUGE and the avocado flesh very thin :(:rotfl:I steamed some millet and then shoved it into a mould to make it look poncy ;) There is mixed salad leaves (mrL) with a boiled egg on top and then a yellow and red tomato basil salad. Sesame seeds and nigella seeds are sprinkled over, with a little sumac. And I couldn't resist making some citrus miso dressing and drizzling a little of that over as well. Funnily enough, it was quite a cheap bowl of food, using up gifts and leftovers :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

that sometimes I remember to just get it done - rather than pontificating about the why/wherefores and unfairnesses.........

being able to do a good deed for DP - he does so much for me :D

good customer service :D

Thanks for popping in, reading and joining in. I do appreciate it. Greatly.

See y'all later.

Greying x

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Greying, I'm slightly grumpy about my Mr L avocado - I've had one two weeks and its still not ready.

Completely agree about amount of stuff. Mr T and I are doing planning for the future and it's shocking to think ho much stuff we still have.

Dinner, as always looks fab x x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    Not posted in ages, sorry, RL can be a [EMAIL="bu@@er"]bu@@er[/EMAIL] at times!!! Your meals still insire my culinary shortcomings and your philosophy reminds me to be grateful for the many lovely things and people in my life,--whether present or passed on, and your energy,!! wow, your energy.
    Thank you, Greying, and posters all.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Tilly - my mrM avocados are supposed to be 'ripen at home', so I can forgive them a little, but I'd be stumped if I ever needed them for a certain dish on a certain date - they've never ripen 'on time' :D As for *stuff* - aarrrggghhh! :rotfl:
    and your energy,!! wow, your energy.

:wave: mrsI :D - I'm sorry ^ made me laugh. We've been waking up really early because the bedroom faces east and we get the rising sun. We've seen too many 'wrong sides' of 5am ;) So I fitted the darker curtains last night. They were quite effective and we both slept on longer. But? We both woke up, tired! :rotfl: I don't feel like a bouncy bunny this morn :rotfl: However, thank you for your kind comment :D I have lows, just like everyone, but I think that trying to find the positives (sometimes very hard) makes life a little better :D

I'm a little bit behind this morning, so I'd better shift a tail feather!

Ta everso for popping in, reading and commenting. It is always appreciated. By me :D

See y'all later.

Greying x

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 18 June 2015 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Well, I'm about fit to wilt. How are you?

So today's MSE *win* was remembering that I had no citrus - and considering that our dinner was to have an Asian twist, this was a bit of an oversight on my part :o - and subsequently dropping into mrW on the way home, to find that they'd YS'd their limes down to 10p each :j I bought 4. That did, of course, then leave me with the dilemma of; do I make tea as planned? or do I make mojitos and invite gallygirl round? :rotfl:

Having snagged a bargain on the limes, I'm not convinced that our meal actually constituted an example of 'frugal fayre' :o It was a little bit pricey, and considering it was in the vein of a Buddha bowl, I think that I may have to revisit 'Frugal Food 101' - lessons for dummies :o

I got the inspiration for our meal from a dish on the menu of a Vegan Bar in Portland, OR, USA. No, I have not been there :o But I like the look of their menu, their drinks list and their decor :D I wish I was a hipster :D

The dish that captured my imagination was termed the 'Samurai Bowl'. I looked up what the characteristics of a Samurai warrior were purported to be. According to the internet, so it may not be true..... they were; justice, loyalty, self-sacrifice, refined manners, sense of shame, purity, modesty, frugality, martial spirit, honour and affection. Not a bad list. I perhaps am more Samurai warrior (re-cycled) than hipster, as I am currently a little shameful of something that I have done. I won't go into detail, but it's not my finest hour. It can be summed up as taking on a *fool* and getting dragged down to their level, where they soundly beat me by their vastly superior experience :o Isn't that how that saying goes? Whilst they have probably forgotten the encounter, I am still smarting that I lost my composure, even if I believed at the time that my intentions were honourable :o I'm in need of a *re-boot* on so many levels. Or perhaps I just need a boot up the bum?

Anyway, I had popped the 'name' down on the meal-planner with no real idea of how it would be interpreted. Although I knew that I wasn't going to use nutritional yeast - it's not something I have in my storecupboard and the budget is blown :( I bought some tofu - not cheap, and by the time you've pressed it, it is about half the weight that you started with as the water comes out. I had some sushi rice, bought cheap in HB, so that was the 'starch'. I bought a pointy cabbage (49p mrM) and cut the leaves away from the stems. I chopped up and steamed the leaves and put the stems (chopped) into a kind of stir-fry with some onion and garlic, YS'd carrots, a few frozen peppers and a few frozen green beans. This veg was then dressed with spicy miso chilli sauce (lots of versions on the net). I then sliced up the tofu into 4 pieces (DP's portions were larger) and used a mix of rice flour, cornmeal, sesame seeds, onion seeds, chilli flakes, crushed coriander and cumin seeds to coat the tofu pieces. I fried these off in a bit of oil. Whilst the tofu pieces were cooking, I made up a tangy coriander lime dressing, which I actually added an avocado to it as well (the remaining 2 really ripe ones are round, which seems to indicate a large stone and little flesh, so not a lot of avocado really.....). I think that my *drizzling* technique needs a load more work - i've got to repurpose a *squeezy* bottle from somewhere - but the result was this *Samurai wannabe bowl* (Greying Style ;)).......

038_zpsv8o9xwgy.jpg

It took ages to make, and it's not really a dish for a week night because of the prep - and DP will tell you, because of the resultant washing up..... :o But I'm glad that I had a go, and I would make it again. Let's hope that all the 'good stuff' that went into it, elevates me to a higher plane......... ;)

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

the loan of some equipment - try before you buy ;)

NHS care for the parentals

culinary exploration - needed time in the kitchen this evening :D

Thanks so much for popping in and reading. I do continue to greatly appreciate it.

See y'all later.

Greying x

PS - perhaps the re-boot has started. I did make yoghurt yesterday and it turned out successfully overnight. I had got out of the habit of making it (silly me :o). Funny how DP - former king of 'synthetic' yoghurt with neon pink 'strawberry' or anything described as 'toffee' being the preferred options, bemoaned the lack of plain, HM yoghurt! :rotfl: So DP's a happy bunny once again this evening. I got something right :DI'll amend my siggie figgie accordingly :)

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you could be a Hipster, Greying, I am absolutely convinced that you could be anything you wanted to be and make a rather fine job of it too.
    That dinner bowl looks delicious. I made a coating rather similar for some white fish on Monday but it didn't hold together quite as beautifully (pan wasn't hot enough I suspect).
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family