PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Options

Comments

• Miss_Cinnabon
    Miss_Cinnabon Posts: 19,481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, boys are tucked up in bed, just tasted one, okay taste but not the greatest! ah well will have to do, just cant think what i did wrong! :rolleyes:
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Options
    Yep it says finest self raising, different flour to what i normally i would get as it was a bulk buy from costco

Kyle
  • nick_b
    nick_b Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The main tip for not getting pancake flat ones is not to overwork the dough (10 seconds max), otherwise you'll push all the air out. Also, don't roll the dough too thinly. 2cm thick is about right.

You'll probably not get them to rise like the scones you see in the shops, but these taste awful anyway. ;)
    0_o
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use SR flour and get some buttermilk instead or put some lemon juice in a bit of milk to mix with, don't overhandle the dough either, don't have oven too hot, put them in the middle shelf. I used to have a great recipe for cheese scones which I put buttermilk in but can't find it anywhere. :-(
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I dont mind how scones look as long as they are home made and taste OK! I am sure that the children will enjoy them and next time they will enjoy them more!
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Options
    Hmm might have handled the dough too much and recipe said 220, i have a fan oven, is this too hot?

Kyle
  • Chrismojam
    Options
    My brothers used my mothers scones as 'rocks' to break windows with....bloody delinquents.........it was late 70's early 80's though:o...needless to say...scones were not my mothers high point:D
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    I sometimes find that my scones don't rise when I am trying to be too organised. If I have friends coming over for morning coffee, I make up the dry mixture the night before, even rubbing in the butter, then half an hour before they arrive I add the egg and milk. I find that they tend to be much flatter than when I make the same mixture all in one go and then pop them into the oven and they rise beautifully. However, they always taste great. Can anyone suggest why the difference?

By the way Kyle, I cook mine on 200 on ordinary setting, 220 on fan oven would be too hot for me.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kyle wrote:
    Hmm might have handled the dough too much and recipe said 220, i have a fan oven, is this too hot?

Kyle
    You need to take 20 degrees off for fan ovens. So if it says 220 bake at 200 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure