PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    catnap53 wrote: »
    Need some help with cheese scones. DD had been asking for them for ages but I had not attempted them for over 20 years. Now I know why! They were solid and heavy, any ideas about a) what can I do with them and b) how can I make them better next time, or not bother.

Have a good day everyone.

Zzzz

I always use this recipe for cheese scones - not sure where it came from though so hope it is OK to post.....

CHEESE SCONES

8oz SR Flour
    Half a teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    2oz butter or margerine
    4oz Grated Cheese
    1 Beaten Egg
    About 3 tablespoons of milk to mix - depends on what size egg you use
    1 level teaspoon of dried mustard if you like it - I don't!!!!

Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl with the salt and mustard. Rub in the butter or marge to the fine breadcrumb stage. Stir in the cheese. Add the egg and about two tablespoons of milk and mix, adding more milk until it forms a ball. Turn out onto a floured board and pat into a circle about an inch high. Cut into shapes of your choice, glaze with milk and any egg dregs and bake at 220 degrees for around 8 minutes until risen and golden.

Alternatively you can zizz the dry ingredients in a food mixer, add the egg and a little milk, zizz again and add more milk until it forms a ball.

Remember that the less you handle the dough the lighter the scones will be. I sometimes shape mine into a circle and just cut into slices like a cake. It saves doing a second shaping with the leftovers you get if you use a circular cutter.

ENJOY!!!!!

These never last very long in our house!!!!
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1st shop yesterday and I spent £43.33. Used coupons to get £5.20 off and managed to save on multisave. Included in the shopping were things that will last months, like an 8 pack of kitchen towels, olive oil, rinse aid etc. Will just need a top up of fruit during the week, will update then.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naomim wrote: »

Does anyone know how much you have to spend to get till spits? I was surprised not to get one....

Naomi x

I've had them when just spending a couple of quid.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Very proud of myself yesterday as I made fish cakes for the first time and they were yummy :) (They were from a recipe on here last month or the one before, not sure who posted it). Had enough for 2 meals for the 2 of us, so the other half are now in the freezer.

Also made a fruit loaf in the BM as had some out of date dried fruit to use up, and have frozen that in slices so I can just lift one out and toast it for a quick brekkie.

Out for a meal tonight, but that is not part of GC budget. OH's Dad gave us money at Christmas which we've not spent yet as we wanted to do something special with it. We are off to an open air play this evening (praying the sun keeps on shining!), so are going for a nice meal beforehand and the money will pay for that.

Just had to shoo some Jehovah's Witnesses off my doorstep. Do they have nothing better to do??? I have nothing against people who follow a religion of their choosing, but object to them knocking on my door and trying to get me to join them too - especially on a Saturday morning when I'm trying to get all my jobs done so I can enjoy the rest of my weekend :mad:

catnap thanks so much for mentioning Simon's Cat on youtube - I had seen the cartoon where the guy is in bed, but didn't know there were more. OH and I have just laughed our socks off at the other 2 :rotfl: One of our cats is sooooo like the one in the cartoons!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely hair ifonly.
    I hope you have a really special day :)
    NSD needed here, may take DS swimming later but that will be from another budget though, or maybe just a walk to the park.
    Yesterdays steak pie for tea, might make some muffins later (maybe the gingerbread ones).
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: .Well I have done my first shop for August and Spent £50:eek: - I have't spent that much in one trip for months (Xmas possibly) The reason is that next week I will be off w**k so I'm going to get my a**e in gear and get organised. I've bought two big packs of mince so it will be burgers, chilli, lasagne and anything else I can think of for the freezer

I still have to get to Lidl for bread flour and OH has just reminded me we need to go out for garden stuff. ( He has spent the last few weekends making some deep bed boxes for the garden and yesterday took delivery of 41/2 tons of topsoil to fill them - he has just finished barrowing it all from the front garden to the back) Isn't he loverly:j
    It's too late for lots of veg this year but we are going to see what we can manage - try late carrots etc.

Anyway OH is gettng his shoes on so if I want to go it will have to be now.

See you all later
  • toottifrootti
    toottifrootti Posts: 6,427 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone!

This is my very first grocery challenge and I am finding it quite Scary!!!:eek: :eek:
    I did a small shopping yesterday at tescos and it came to £19.48 - I havent got hardly anything in the store cupboard so I am not hopefull of meeting my target!

I spent 2 hours last night reading the posts from the start!! didnt want to come in the middle and not know what was going on IYSWIM!!!

I have been trying to do menu plans but not getting very far although I did make a suasage casserole in my SC yesterday and have 3 portions to go in the freezer - I dont/ dont know how to cook so stupid me didnt brown the sausages so have this casserole with pale pink sausages!!! Thank goodness there's only me to look at it!!!

Will probably do an online shop over this weekend so that i can stock up for the month with as much as possible and then not be tempted to go into tescos or asda - would like to do a lidl shopping but its the other side of the town and I dont have a car and i am not very fit (healthwise) to carry heavy bags!
    TF xx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

I have been trying to do menu plans but not getting very far although I did make a suasage casserole in my SC yesterday and have 3 portions to go in the freezer - I dont/ dont know how to cook so stupid me didnt brown the sausages so have this casserole with pale pink sausages!!! Thank goodness there's only me to look at it!!!

Lol! I've done the same thing before now - and not just the once either:o It doesn't look as good, but still tastes jolly nice. I love saus cass but no-one else in my house does :-(

I really need to menu plan. We have loads of stuff in, but nothing necessarily easy, so I should do some batch cooking so we have some HM ready meals to grab, really. I also need to menu plan to make sure we're going to use stuff up. We're away for 4 days at month end and I need to make sure we have cleared fridge (no room atm to freeze any of it :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Have just taken some fairy cakes out of oven with sprinkles (sugar strands) included in the mixture for rainbow fairy cakes:D

Hope everyone is having a good Sat!

Gt#x

IOIWE - love the hair!:T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • wendywitch
    wendywitch Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to put (reduced) bread in freezer so the whole lots gone mouldy. What a waste!:eek: Both of food and money, but lesson learnt :o
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    wendywitch..but look how well you did in July!!!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport