PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - A New Start

Options

Comments

• JKJ
    JKJ Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    nightsong wrote: »
    [QUOTE=I managed to say why, i.e. I'd have loved that too but had only a handful of books throughout my childhood despite having parents who could very reasonably have got them for me. I was a voracious bookworm from an early age - they must have noticed!

The other thing I longed for as a child was some Lego. My (male) cousin had it and I wanted some so much. My own DSs had more Lego than any child could reasonably need as a result (they did like it though).

DH asked me what I DID get for Christmas and the answer was, dolls. A doll for Christmas and a doll for my birthday. No, I didn't particularly like them or play with them. Evidently my parents either didn't notice or didn't care.

Anyway, we had this discussion and then, feeling fine, I tried to list some stuff on ebay. I couldn't. Ebay was having one of its weird times and kept logging me out; then my picture wouldn't load; then when it finally did load it looked all peculiar - and then I noticed that the six balls of wool were actually different dyelots so I couldn't list them together anyway.

At which point I got very upset :(

And this is why I hoard - and I'm sure all of us who do, have this sort of background where we weren't seen by our parents, our needs weren't met (it wasn't just present where things were very wrong, needless to say) and we hang on to the stuff because ... well,because it seems to help somehow.

Oh my goodness......I know exactly what you mean. I do.
    Please be patient with any mis-spellings and typos I am officially useless with a touchscreen keyboard!!! :mad:
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2013 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, I hope you are warm and snug in the snow

Re dyslexia - it has a sister condition dyspraxia and some examples sound like they are leaning towards it, so when you look up managing the effects of the condition, do look up both, as spatial awareness is a big thing, it can make you clumsy which can make you trip on hoards etc

Can I add an alternative view on the odd-one out look child?
    It can work, very much depending on the personality of the child.
    My DD grew up in jumble sale clothes and the school's lost property bin (we had nothing, improved drastically now) and she rocked it! She walked into school, head held high to the sound of other parents saying they wished their kids would wear funky hats etc. She would actually pity other conformist kids, saying "their mum makes them wear stuff from M&S"
    As a young woman she is now in a job among very traditional smart people but has a very distinctive look which makes her stand out and get noticed and it is getting her into places where gaps in her CV should be a barrier.
    So it can work; it wouldn't have worked for me, as I wanted to meld into the background/have the latest fashions identical to my friends, but for her, it seemed right and was right

For anyone struggling to get "quote" to work, you need
    at the beginning and square bracket/QUOTE]at the end, and if you start your own reply immediately after the last ]it keeps the post from spreading out over too many lines. You can chop out irrelevant bits from long quotes too

Books - for selling modern books - make up a batch weighing just under a kilo, cut a piece of corrugated card fitting just under the mail size for packets, lay books on card, clingfilm tight, single sheet brown paper, check still under a kilo. I stopped being fussy when I realised Green Metropolis say send single paperbacks in just a brown manila envelope

nightsong - post away, it's not just about you, it's about helping & understanding your family too, so is helping loads of people - thanks
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting discussion on dyslexia. As you say mcculloch can manifest in different ways, though difficulty with rote learning (eg learning nursery rhymes, the alphabet and times tables) analogue clocks and right/left are certainly common to the dyslexics in both my and Oh's family. My daughter is so ambidextrous asking her which hand she writes with is no use. Idd she can write one thing backwards with one hand at the same time as something else forwards with the other, with spelling wobbly in both lol. OH has a PhD in maths but failed twice in her first degree. The OU way of studying suited her much better, or naybe it was needing to be more sorted as the initial attempts were straight from school and the OU in her 30s. Her uncle failed his 11+ but went on to Cambridge where he eventualky became professor. My father was offered uni but didnt have the confidence, and my sister dropped out, again lack of confidence. I wonder if this lack of confidence leads to hoarding?
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where do you guys sell your dvds? And cds? And vinyls? Is selling books worthwhile taking into consideration postage?
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not the hoarding today that will be the issue, it's the tidying!

Think i'll bag it first, Hoover and do other bits like bathroom, then we'll put away together as it seems to get done faster and when someone bobs round it looks better too!
    Go get it!
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blossomhill - I looked plain odd and not a modicum of style. I also had no choice over what clothes I wore which was a huge disadvantage. My DD also has a very distinctive and flamboyant style and looks totally stunning.

Anyway - I have set myself a challenge and am not buying any new shoes, clothes or accessories this year. I will use my existing stuff and need to go through it all as Im not totally sure what I have and where.

Today:
    Kid's dad has made DD's bed and it looks lovely and is so comfy. She made inroads into her bedroom so happy with her efforts.

Stay safe in the snow x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2013 at 12:18PM
    Options
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    I wonder if this lack of confidence leads to hoarding?

It could be! Think about how shopping is called retail therapy? I know that I used to go into a shop just to look and almost mindlessly pick up stuff "only £1, only £5, bargain" without considering if I needed it. Then something happened last year and I turned into "I'm not getting that, not paying good money for that, and I don't need that" which for me is a big step.

I find myself picking up my handbag after work, and looking around for my shopping, then realising that I didn't actually buy anything. I used to go home with a handful of carrier bags every day :eek:
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My work cupboard is now in its new, revised place (which is quite pleasing even compared to where I thought I was going to put it).

I can't get over how good it feels to have furniture rearranged. And, of course, the space to be able rearrange it in. We're open plan and this reshuffle means there is so much more light.

When DH goes to work this afternoon I need to sort out the contents (old and new) for this cupboard. It is not yet at the exciting stage - it just looks like a huge mess to sort when I would rather be reading a new book.

I've got some houseworky tidying to do as well. Still can't get the balance of decluttering/housework right, but this year will probably sort that.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • cyclingyorkie
    Options
    My sister gave me pyjamas for Christmas - in a size 12.

I am a size 16!

I am currently doing slimming world, but I'm only a stone off my target and i can't see me dropping 2 more sizes....

I have 2 daughters - currently a size 6/8.

So do I keep or charity bag?
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    Options
    Charity bag and then treat yourself to something nice (and the right size!) if you need to later.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport