PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 9 January 2018 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Enjoy the holidays & and Vjsmum, looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Mculloch, I found Terry Prachett last year, almost literally, a book stall decided it was shutting down and left its stock at a steam fair, it seemed sacrilege, so I picked up what I could carry, things where I knew people would be interested and also picked up The colour of Magic, the Wee Free men, and Mort which is my favourite so far, and I’m currently reading Sorcery, so a whole world literally lies ahead. Thank you for the recommendation I look forward to reading it.

I discovered Down with Skool a few days ago in my dad’s things, it was a gift to him in 1955 on his 21st birthday from his brother. I’ve started reading it, and researched it came from the creator of St Trinians, Molesworth I’m sure will be next but I’d like to “find” it e.g. in a 2nd hand shop. I know I can pick it up on Amazon, but there’s something about finding it.
    Thank you PK.
    Wow, TP doesn't make it into many second-hand places as yet, though as time goes on, and houses are cleared, I guess that will happen. Mort is excellent.

Geoffrey Whillans and Ronald Searle, Molesworth's creators, were so talented.
    I think I might treat myself to Ronald Searle's Changi book
    (Edit: Done. Arriving tomorrow.)
    Uncle John, my brother's father in law, was at Changi. Much as I love my Japanese clients it would be good to remember this, too.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If you click on this link a pic of the Molesworth Down with Skool skool dog, looking like Theresa May, is in the photos of the inside of the book.
    ( Apologies if this offends anyone!)
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Minds me of the three monkies. Or was it Simon Sees, Simon Does! Not one word about FGM then! As for the dresses, I was thinking No More Heroes, side one, track four! Proper men in black! Oh, and the chat show host wants to run as well.

One thing is, Billy lobbed lots of arrows from Riyadh when I was there! Donald has not!

One thing I have checked recently is our run through on herbs and spices. Rosemary, ground in pan for proper roast tatties. Well used. Termites, used for the kedgeree, as with the parsley, which as you know, is also added to the parsley sauce, with mustard. Also coriander, leaf and ground, with cumin for the curry (None of that so called curry powder!). We don’t keep ginger in the jar, we use proper ginger! Chopped garlic is used because it keeps longer! Lemons are freshly squeezed and none of that Jif carp.

5 Fested on the Kedgeree late last evening and as I said Tum was well rubbed as well!

4 Watched the Uni Challenge last night, nearly caught up, but I see the result of the competition has been leaked! BoPsie was on form with answers as wells. Treats were laid on for Raffles, but he wanted his own!

3 Now as yous knows at the mill, we have turned up the furnaces for the year, it seems that the coals are too hot too handle at the mill. We are having to look at the thermostats to bring the fires under control. Outside the new bales of cotton are being loaded up.

2 As I talk about the bales of cotton, I forgets to mention that pension went up by 50% last year! All looking good to be happy BoP shortly! Unfortunately BoP could crash out now and put logs onto the fire. That would be like a busman’s holiday!

The lion has been set loose at the wobbleade emporium
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2018 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Another perishingly cold day.

Quickest of dog walks first thing, a scraping of the car windscreen and a stop, start journey into town first thing.DD2 had a GP appointment...she was surprised when we just walked out at the end...we are used to signing and paying.

Very nice cheese scone. Then managed to get shoes, trousers and shirt for DD2 interview tomorrow, in the sales. Did not possess anything remotely suitable. Also got 4 rolls of wrapping paper for later in this year :) , 24p a roll! May have wandered into M&S but it's not a supermarket is it? Bought some daffodils. And what I thought was apricot Swiss roll ( my favourite) and wondered why it tasted funny...passion fruit!

Home, via hairdresser to make an appointment for tomorrow .

Longer doggy walk.

Sorted out garage a bit more. Got shelves up and lots of boxes emptied and in my car for tomorrow .

Veggie box arrived. For £12 I got 6 apples, 4 pears, 4 bananas, 6 tangerines a melon, a huge turnip, 3 large onions, 3 kg potatoes, 3 peppers, celery, 2 leeks, lentils, bacon, broccoli, mushrooms. It's certainly cheaper than it would be at a supermarket.

For tea we had a pie from freezer, mashed potatoes and roasted parsnips from RTC pre Christmas , RTC sprouts, cabbage and cauli that have been in fridge for a while! There's a RTC rhubarb pie for pudding.

Friend popped in this afternoon and OH bestie came in with an application form he'd kindly printed for me....he's printed twice incase I make a mistake :)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options

McCulloch29; I think if my DH is anything to go by, TP books never make it out of people’s houses. Apparently they can be read & re-read often, as the reader notices new things every time!

Cheers

Mrs SD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son back at school - hoorah!

3) Got quite a lot of things done a.m. Washing, tidying, a boring mortgage form, phone calls and the new part came for the woodburning stove and I mended that.

4) Hens well.

5) Tasty food today - porridge, blueberries and banana for breakfast, HM veg soup for tea and yesterday's aubergine and spinach satay for tea.

6) Went into mortgage company after lunch and they were quite helpful.

7) Had a cup of tea in town with my school friend.

8) Just watched Holby City.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Today’s pleasures:

1. Window cleaner made his first visit of the year. He & his wife ‘don’t do XMas’ but I always give him a little something each year. This year he is putting it towards savings for a trip in March. Proper os window cleaner - walks round with his ladder etc.

2. Trip to cs by bus was really quick - 1hr 20m round trip as I didn’t get distracted!

3. Lovely smell wafting in from kitchen - the fruit cake I just baked for DH as he has nearly finished all his hm biccies!

4. Cousin phoned with an invite for lunch early next month. Looking forward to seeing all the family including her brother’s new baby.

5. DSis phoned - she received one of the two parcels I sent. Has put in a request for a couple more boxes of Brek the Ready, as she can’t get it in France.

6. Hm Stilton & potato pie + hm bacon & Stilton scones - nom nom nom. Enough leftovers for DH’s lunch tomorrow. Have also emptied the fridge slightly - last of the veg, last of the buttermilk & last of the double cream. I am really enjoying making soup - much to my surprise!😉😳

7. 2 loads of washing done & last of the drying in atm.

8. Already started next cs bag.

Have a good night everyone.

Mrs SD🙂
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,

Well done on the de cluttering Mrs SD. Now I am back to work, all useful things have to stop, cos I am too tired when I get home :rotfl:

Monday

1.Got to work early, cos did not have to drop DS2 at school. ( He had an extra training day in bed!)

2. Worked my way through the emails. No crisis I could not solve. :cool:

3. New term, new dress. :cool: I’m so shallow.

4. Got lots of points buying tins of beans in Mr M.

5. Lasagne for tea with rtc asparagus.

6. Mad Men cookbook has arrived, so watched a couple of episodes and perused my book.

Tuesday

1. Admin day. Sorted meetings for next 2 months. Feel organised. :rotfl:

2. Mr M after work to get more beans and more points!......free beans!

3. Got home in time to drop DS2 at cadets.

4. Spaghetti Carbonara for tea.

5. Watched another Mad Men before bed.

26 years ago today, we were flying out to Barbados to get married :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, yesterday was fab

1. Wanted to go walking but did our homework and pre booked the parking. The only two hour slot we could get began at 9 o'clock so we had to get up early to get there. But wow, the early morning light was fab and we had the walk to ourselves for the most part. Stunning views.
    2. Then drove to the west coast for coffee in the warm sunshine. Lovely
    3. Then drove up up up and found a fab restaurant for lunch overlooking the sea. Lovely grilled squid was consumed
    4. Then we drove up up up some more to the highest point. We were way above the clouds and could see Tenerife and La Gomera. It was stunning and not that cold. Beautiful drive down too
    5. Ate tea on the terrace. To a cacophony of frog chorus and crickets.n leftover spaghetti Bol (small portion each) with bread and meat and cheese. And wine...

Perfect day :)
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • 5 Still slight bit of sniffulus this weak, so no getting beach ready until FryDay. Though as I am beach ready already, not a problem! More later! Talking of FryDay, as BoP is currently reading about the start of the Great War. The one where Great Granddad was spat at because he was Prussian! That would be 1812, a quarter past six and all that. Just then the radio crackled this morning! I moved on laughing as the so called expert expressed they were the greater good, when they had not!

4 Meanwhile inn BoP land, last night listened to Rich Eisen. On some tube channel. Was talking to Colin Quinn and others. Very good talk and none of the carpology one gets from the TV Tax people!

3 Got the colour chart from the paint dog for doing the dining room and spare bedroom. Just need the carpet down in main bed first. It would had been done last year, but BoP was touring!

2 Tonight big night for gunners, so will be glued in. PM2DD The gaffer at the Theatre of Fish has backing!

Take care not to splutter the bad coffee while sneering that the notepad has been taken away. I wont cry when my book is taken away. I’ll miss my neighbour when he goes missing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback