PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loveGSDs wrote: »
    me again.....
    do your deposit targets include your fees or are you saving up for them seperately?

emm yes and no were saving enough to have around £4000 for fee's but we know it might take awhile to find somewhere and we know that fee's maybe be more than that but we can save more inbetween iykwim

my total is now £430, i'm still waiting on some of hubbys pay tho which will bump it up to £610
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Smith15
    Smith15 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    Welcome along! I havent seen your name on this thread before.

For your age you are in a really good position! Have you made a spreadsheet of ALL of your expenses to see where you can cut back? We are renting but we still manage to save about 50% of our joint income after we made a few cut backs. It easily adds up with a few quid here and there.

Thank you :)

Yes I have started a spreadsheet this weekend, but not starting the proper saving cut backs till after 2nd June (as am going to NYC for my 21st...no savings that month haha!)

Yes definitely, do you find it easier to budget per week or as you go along?
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Smith15 wrote: »
    do you find it easier to budget per week or as you go along?

All we do to budget is have a big spreadsheet of all our monthly and annual expenses (divided by 12).

Its in two columns, one for me and one for my girlfriend. Most expenses are just 50/50 like rent, bills etc but some are only on one side (my car stuff, phone etc)

That means we have a grand total of all our outgoings. Take that away from our joint income and you have how much you should be able to save.

You have to be really honest with your spending. If you buy a cup of tea every day at work, put that down. Everything!

You should easily be able to see where you can cut back.

One good thing to do would be to post on the savings and debt free wannabe board your statement of affairs. This lists all your outgoings, incomings, assets etc. People on here are really good at spotting what you are paying too much for or what you could cut out completely.

You will find it here http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html

Hope that helps!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • wrighty0__3
    wrighty0__3 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    hey, thought id posted on here but was on another savings thread so ill join this thread as my savings goal is for house deposit.

me and my GF are currently living with my parents so we can achieve our deposit.

Things have been going rather slow on the savings front recently so decided to check back for abit of added motivation.

back in november when i first posted details of Our savings were as follows.

£3139.78 in my ISA

and £109.57 in my flexible saver.

i also have a credit card with a limit of £1k that is on its limit. (0% on purchases 12 months) was only acquired to pay my car insurance and boost my credit rating.

TODAYS BALANCES LOOK ABIT LIKE THIS:

£3234.89 ISA

£900.69 Flexi-saver

£270 cash in my bedside drawer ha.

Credit card is whittled down to £780, 0% period is up next month :(, no need to worry though as i have the money ready to wipe the balance in my current account, (just waiting for statement).

Doesnt look great does it in 6 month, on the plus note though i have purchased a fortnight in the caribean (cuba) for me and the GF, all paid off ;). After 8 and abit months out of work due to redundancy in 2009-2010 i decided we needed a treat and a getaway something to break up the living on budgets etc. weve also had a few nights out n things which really havnt helped, all thats stopped now though, we have divised a new savings agreement.

as from the 29th april we arnt touching my wage, apart from my outgoings: Gym membership, mobile phone bill, car finance, PPI on the car finance (1 of the best things ive signed up to after having my car paid while i was out of work) and of course my board to parents.

by doing this we are aiming to save £1000 a month in my account, GF is going to give me £125 a week as she is self employed n gets paid in cash n cheques. of this £125 i am also aiming to put at least £50 cash into my bedside drawer. shhhhhhhh.
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i am also aiming to put at least £50 cash into my bedside drawer. shhhhhhhh.

Welcome! Money doesn't gain interest in a draw :)
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    That very much what you define as interest. Some scrupleless person might be very interested in it :P

Good point about the fees by the way, I hadn't given that much thought, but I guess I could add a few months to my saving plan to put some extra aside for it.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    I've managed to add a nice sum to my savings

£3,000 - due to my contents insurance payout following theft. The only thing i've actually bothered to replace is my laptop - the rest can be replaced after i've bought a house!

Signature now updated with the insurance money and May's savings - hopefully a bit more will be added at the end of the month depending on what is left in the Current Accounts come pay day!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • redbull5
    redbull5 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    Just juggled a few ammounts to different accounts. My deposit is now sitting at £6300. Will hopefully be adding £150 at the end of the month aswell.

Now at 78.75% of my 2011 Total - Looks like im going to smash this, but have road tax soon and things like that so savings will slow down.
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
  • wrighty0__3
    wrighty0__3 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    JimLad wrote: »
    Welcome! Money doesn't gain interest in a draw :)

no i know it doesnt, its better off in the drawer than in my wallet though, In my job its not possible to get to the bank every week or whichever so ill just make 1 trip every now and then to deposit the money.
  • Alizarin
    Alizarin Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loveGSDs wrote: »
    was having a discussion with a work colleague about solicitors fees etc, it appears they may be more than id planned for - do your deposit targets include your fees or are you saving up for them seperately?

I'm planning on saving for fees separately - my plan is to start looking once I've hit my £30k target and anything I save from then on is for fees. Not sure if that'll work, but hopefully it will as I'm very fussy and not likely to find something straight away.

As of tomorrow, I have broken the £13k mark! Woohoo! My target for the end of 2011 is £15k which I think is achievable and will make me half way there! :j
    :www: Saving for a deposit - Target £30k by 24/03/14 (30th Birthday!) :www:
    Current Savings - £18,153.11 / 60.51%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport