Rent from g/f's daughter

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely this is not about you, but what your partner think is right, discussing it with you. Your partner seems to be contributing little. Is it because she doesn't work or only a few hours? Is there a reason why she doesn't have a higher income so she could contribute more or is it that you are happy with that arrangement?

What does she think about asking her daughter to contribute? Is she never likely to work and earn an income? Is she ever likely to move out in the next few year or ever for that matter?
  • LocoLoco
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    Ditto.

Just because the daughter is disabled, it doesn't mean she's a helpless little flower who can't contribute to the household or that the OP is somehow taking advantage of her.

I find some of the responses here a bit bizarre, to be honest. The OP has already stated in #4 that they don't intend for the daughter to claim HB. They just want her to contribute to the household living expenses out of the money she's being paid for her living expenses. Maybe they've caused some confusion by calling it rent instead of board/keep.

Yes, same here, I didn't read this that the OP is trying to get Housing Benefit through the daughter, just whether she should/could pay towards her living expenses. My son's disabled, it's not looking very likely that he'll be able to work but once he turns 18 (assuming he's still living with me) he'll be paying towards his keep. I don't know why anyone would think there's anything wrong with that? Asking someone for a weekly amount towards food and utilities is very sensible, in my opinion, not least because at some point the daughter will want or need to move out and will be in for a very nasty shock if she's never had to pay for anything.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My question is - should I be charging her (adult child) rent?
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    I didn't read this that the OP is trying to get Housing Benefit through the daughter, just whether she should/could pay towards her living expenses.

Every adult living in the house should be contributing to the household finances according to their ability.

The OP shouldn't be expecting this young woman to be paying rent to him!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OP says that his live in girlfriend is in receipt of benefits - presumably non means tested as it would appear that he has sufficient income to provide for both of them?

If the girlfriend is in receipt of such benefits, then presumably they are being used to support both her and her non-working children?

Presumably the 18 year old is still in education?

Once the 18 year old is out of education/in receipt of adult type benefits, it would not be unreasonable to expect a contribution to household expenses.
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP treat her as you would your own children. You probably wouldn't expect them to pay 'rent' but I imagine you would expect them to pay something for their keep.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    She doesn't.
    But her daughter should?

You can see which way the wind is blowing don't you?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    The OP says that his live in girlfriend is in receipt of benefits - presumably non means tested as it would appear that he has sufficient income to provide for both of them?

Where did the OP say that?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2017 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    But her daughter should?

You can see which way the wind is blowing don't you?

Why shouldn’t she? Her mother doesn’t pay towards the mortgage but does pay towards the household bills so why shouldn’t her adult child? I assume by rent OP means dig money the same as most adult children pay.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My question is - should I be charging her (adult child) rent?
    I assume by rent OP means dig money the same as most adult children pay.

Doesn't sound that way.

If she was paying keep, she'd be giving the money to her mother to help with the household bills, not paying mother's BF.

If the mother is claiming any means tested benefits as a single person, her position is quite risky.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Options
    Where did the OP say that?

Posts 6 and 7
    She gets benefits, and has very few expenses; as I pretty much pay for all the running of the house (utilities, broadband, council tax etc.)

Does your g/f pay towards the mortgage?
    She doesn't.

The girlfriend's contribution seems limited to paying for SKY, half the groceries and doing the chores? (post 10).

And I did say "appears".........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport