Poor Single Lady Debt Diary - Trying again

Options
Hello All.
Things are changing and moving forward and so I feel it's time for a new debt diary.

I've recently made a lot of changes and hoping to maintain these but there are also some things that need some serious work.

Unavoidable's
£490 mortgage
£100 council
£140 management fee
£12 TV licence
£40 electric
£20 water
£25 Charity Donation (yes I know)
£13 Lovefilm
£20 eyebrows
£47 phone and home internet
£48 entertainment direct debit
Tbc overdraft charge if applicable
IRO £960

There are a few credit cards on top of these.
Working on these. I have the totals written down.

Everything has been reduced and restricted.
I have changed my diet and drinking less.

Less clothes and make up and restricting impulse purchasing.

Less social but still some.
Ditching toxic problematic friendships. And possibly being a bit more selfish.

Going on holiday with my parents in June. The are paying for me initially and I will pay them back but haven't been away for years and really looking forward to it.

This will be boring but having a diary helps me manage things.
Trying to keep it positive where possible. xxx
2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt

Comments

• lonelyrat
    Options
    Hey PSL - lovely fresh diary :) Yours was one of the first ones I stumbled upon so I'll defo be subbing to this to send you some positivity! I'm not much of a poster so I'll likely just be lurking around cheering you on from the shadows haha. Holiday sounds lovely! It's cool your parents are treating you (even if you do need to pay it back in the end). Holidays are one of the things I want to have more of when I'm debt free. I want to use my money for experiences rather than things that just clutter up my life!

Good luck!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I had no idea that LoveFilm was still going! At £13, have you thought about switching to Netflix which is £7 a month?
  • Joshuaa25
    Options
    I would switch Love film (Amazon Prime?) To Netflix, Cancel the charity donation for now you can always set it back up again. What's the £140 management fee for per month is there anything you can do with that?

Also good luck!
    CC - £2,555
    Paypal CC - £400
    Overdraft - £100
    Loan - £8,040
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,303 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lovely new diary, great news on the holiday :D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Waving madly. Go smash it! xxxx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Hey PSL. Wishing you well and following your progress :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely encouragement. Very much appreciated.

I am really looking forward to the holiday. My parents are too. My dad said to me that life is short and they are not going to let money get in the way of us spending time together because one day it's going to all be too late. *grandad is very old and frail and I think this is making them think this way.

Just quick post to not the pints raised. I know I should cancel the charity donation but I'm not going to.

The management fee is for my leasehold flat so if I don't pay it I end up in court with serious problems.

The lovefilm is not really lovefilm- it's a different company doing the same thing. I have limited internet at home and don't have enough broadband for net flicks.
    But I'm also not a fan of technology and know if I had netflicks I wouldn't use it.
    I also really love the idea of opening my post box and there being DVDs that somebody has sent me.
    To me it's a luxury but one that makes me happy

Other spends
    Food spending
    Take away
    Spending to feed pet
    Cleaning supplies and things like loo roll
    Clothes
    Other home needs
    Social spending
    Family spending inc presents
    Travel to London and sometimes other places
    Make up
    Occasional cinema/theatre trips.
    I think there should be more here possibly.

Today low spend/low key. Plodding and trying. xx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Food Spend
    £8
    Butter
    Lettuce and cumuber
    Toothbrush
    Shower gel
    Sandwhich bags
    Bin bags
    Sandwhich chicken
    Broccoli

Homemade curry for dinner.
    At home tonight with heating on.

Thank you everyone for dropping in and well wishes.

Lonely Rat thank you for your kind words. I hope you read some more successful diaries as well.
    To be honest I am so excited about the holiday. It's going to be great to get away. xx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Subscribing PSL! I am currently home as work sent us home due to snow. Naughtily put heating on but it's minus 3 or something so don't feel too bad. I've 2 pairs of socks on (one thick pair) and slippers yet feet are still cold (as our heating is underfloor it takes ages to heat up but retains well). Cat is sat right next to me snuggled as he must be cold too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure