• jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah lots of banks offer this, so they can implement Paym/Pay A Contact
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What happens if you don't grant access? For example, Uber asks for this to share ride details. I denied, and the app still runs just fine (except of course I can't share my location with my contacts).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    According to the app details on Google play -the app permissions allow it to read your contacts.
    Now exactly WHY is this necessary?

I have this app and an account with Starling, the contacts permission is off on my phone(was by default). As others have said probably only for pay by contact, there is the option to just enter account details
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    Options
    One thing which maybe of interest to some, they don't exclude those with adverse credit. I have an IVA on my file from 3 years ago and was accepted and offered a small overdraft
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Not being able to use this bank across all platforms will be a big no no for me I am afraid.
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have downloaded the app afew days ago and set it up with my email address and mobile number.

It is now asking input starling pass code. How long does that take to arrive?

Thanks
    MS
  • Doctor_Duke
    Doctor_Duke Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    Been a customer for a few weeks now and well impressed. Charges are minimal, if any, offered in the app a £1k overdraft within days at a competitive 12% EAR, instant notifications for Debits inc contactless and Credits. The online customer interaction is virtually instant with good helpful advice. Cash can be deposited in a NatWest and cheque desposits are coming soon via scanner in the app. Android Pay and Apple Pay are also soon. They are also protected by the FCS £80k and use Faster Payments. Excellent so far IMHO.
  • starM
    Options
    Hi, Just applied - it only asked for my name and address.

It is now stuck on checking your details screen with circle moving around. Is that referral? How long it takes for a decision? Thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    Options
    starM wrote: »
    Hi, Just applied - it only asked for my name and address.

It is now stuck on checking your details screen with circle moving around. Is that referral? How long it takes for a decision? Thanks
    I can only guess - it could be that their system cannot immediately verify your name and address electronically, or maybe you have a slow data or WiFi connection at that moment.

It looks like they sent your code to sign up only two days after you registered - is that right?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • starM
    Options
    It just took abit of time to verify details but all done captured my passport and that's been verified aswel. They have offered an overdraft of up to 5k which I can apply for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure