When to report bad parenting?

Options

Comments

• blabberwort
    blabberwort Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    What are peeps views on this? Women a few doors down is pure chav and makes a bloody racket, obviously the rent is being paid for by the Council. Anyhow, she's got two girls of maybe 4 and 6 who she screams demands at all day - her voice carries 50m easily.

Today, shouts to 'get in' were ignored, resulting in 4 or 5 very audible blows to the child whilst still in the garden followed by much wailing.

What would be the threshold to tip off NSPCC or social services?
    The fact that you start your post stating the woman is pure chav and rent is paid by council makes me wonder of perhaps your a little blinkered and choose to believe that she mistreats the children.

By all means report her if you genuinely believe that she is mistreating her children but dont let your prejudice get in the way of what may or may not be happening. If this is a regular occurence and you have seen her hit her children before then absaloutely report this woman, however you might want to consider the fact that maybe what you heard wasnt actually the woman hitting her children. It could be thats what you believe because of how you have stereotyped her.

I dont believe in hitting children unless theres really no alternative (and by this I mean a gentle smack for safetys sake , not a smack just because it makes you feel better) and yes if I truly believed this was a regular occurence I would be reporting it, however do it for the right reasons not because the womans "pure chav" but because it's the right thingf for the children.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 July 2010 at 7:12AM
    Options
    A work colleague and I were visiting ASDA. On leaving the store we walked up to the car to leave. We were nattering idly and making way for the woman next to us who was unpacking her trolley. I then watched in utter shock as the small toddler aged child who was stood in the trolley was delivered a strong downward punch to the face.

What scared me even more the child did not cry or scream after this blow, just stood quietly? She was forcefully grabbed by the arm lifted and placed in the child seat where she received three more similar blows.

At this point the woman noticed we were rooted to the grown in shock staring at her. She swore at us and jumped in her car and pulled away.

My colleague noted her registration and got in to our car just looking at each other in utter shock. Suddenly there was a bang at the back of the car. The woman had realised we had noted her reg and come back. She had reversed her car over the back of ours so we could not leave and was banging on the doors and windows screaming to us to get out.

We called the police, who could hear the lady screaming and yelling advised them of the goings on. They were very reluctant to send a car. However the woman suddenly realised we were already on the phone to the police and left. The Police promised to follow it up and ref the matter to SS.

Now this is all very upsetting but what upset me more was a week later i called the police to see what the outcome was.

Nothing.

Yup they went to the house and stated ‘all seemed to be in order’ nothing further was done.

As such i have little faith they will do anything in your case....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh Tygermoth. That is shocking to hear about. I intend to agree with you though. Social Services are so stretched, I doubt if they would even investigate in this case. Sad but true I believe.
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tygermoth, your post just actually made me cry.

What a shame nothing was done about that incident.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tygermoth....I don't know what the timeline was re this incident as in was it very recently but don't be put off by what you were told, you can still follow up by reporting to social services...the police should have notified them anyway.

If this was a recent event, please don't stop trying to have your voice heard. This parent has clearly no control...that is beyond dangerous.

For the OP, report, report, report....I also say;

Imagine you're the child watching all those powerful grown-ups watch you being hit....what message does that give?
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • MaximumImpact
    Options
    Now this is all very upsetting but what upset me more was a week later i called the police to see what the outcome was.

Nothing.

Yup they went to the house and stated ‘all seemed to be in order’ nothing further was done.

If that is the case, then I would be very worried as the Police cannot give you any information about the result of your call because of Data Protection and confidentiality. So to tell you everything was normal would mean that someone has breached the DPA.

They will NOT and SHOULD not tell you anything because although you may well be a well meaning member of the public, you could be anyone. For instance, a relative trying to make malicious complaints, a relative trying to gather evidence for a court case.

All you should be told is that the complaint has been investigated and dealt with by the appropriate departments.
    '' A man who defends himself, has a fool for a client''
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know somebody's who is being investigated by social services at the moment as a result of an anonymous email. I suppose they might have just told her that, perhaps they have the name and address of who reported her. It's obviously her ex.

social services have spoken to her GP, the child's nursery and other agencies she's been involved with, but I think she had to give her permission for that.

Even though it was just an anonymous email containing no evidence and nothing that could be proved they still checked up on her, which is good news imo. Not that she needs checking up on, I mean it's good that they do check up on all reports of abuse even when it's clearly the bitter ex who is making things up.
    52% tight
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    jillyjacks wrote: »

But there is absolutely no evidence that this is the case in this instance.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    A work colleague and I were visiting ASDA. On leaving the store we walked up to the car to leave. We were nattering idly and making way for the woman next to us who was unpacking her trolley. I then watched in utter shock as the small toddler aged child who was stood in the trolley was delivered a strong downward punch to the face.

What scared me even more the child did not cry or scream after this blow, just stood quietly? She was forcefully grabbed by the arm lifted and placed in the child seat where she received three more similar blows.

At this point the woman noticed we were rooted to the grown in shock staring at her. She swore at us and jumped in her car and pulled away.

My colleague noted her registration and got in to our car just looking at each other in utter shock. Suddenly there was a bang at the back of the car. The woman had realised we had noted her reg and come back. She had reversed her car over the back of ours so we could not leave and was banging on the doors and windows screaming to us to get out.

We called the police, who could hear the lady screaming and yelling advised them of the goings on. They were very reluctant to send a car. However the woman suddenly realised we were already on the phone to the police and left. The Police promised to follow it up and ref the matter to SS.

Nothing.

I don't want to doubt you but I'm surprised you were told this unless it was in relation to the way this woman responded to you?

I can't imagine for one moment they would tell you if ss were carrying out an investigation into child abuse.

They would say if they intended to take the abuse she gave you any further but I assume they won't.

But either way, have you both made formal statements and have you contacted ss yourselves?
  • izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Being a chav, receiving housing benefit and being noisy are all perfectly legal and say more about your own deficiencies than anyone else's.

If this is a real post and not an imaginary one, call social services. They'll want to know your name and address, to show that you aren't just making malicious allegations due to your own animosity towards this woman, and then they can spend their time investigating an alleged assault that wasn't actually witnessed by anyone, much less an unbiased person, when they could be intervening in a case where there is documented evidence of abuse or neglect.

Wrong... I used to work in SSD and they quite happily accept referrals from anonymous callers; how else will people feels safe from repercussions if they were not allowed to remain anonymous? A very high percentage of concerns come from anonymous 'neighbours'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure