When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up...

Options

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea with Tax Credits - I agree that weekly is best for you.

If your youngest has health issues have you ever thought of claiming Disability Living Allowance for her?

It's something that's been discussed between us and her team, I got the forms then never completed them :o she's doing quite a lot better this last few months and only had one hospital stay since Xmas. Before this she spent more time in hospital than home! She's on a new steroid trial and it's been brilliant, although it's due to end at the end of June so that will be the real test.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning
    I hope you get things sorted out today.
    I don't know a lot about it but I think EE is right about looking into claiming Disability Living Allowance for the wee one. It seems like you need every penny you can get and if you are entitled to it you should claim it. If her team have suggested it I think there must be a fair chance that you are entitled.
    Also (and I don't mean to be rude) you have to tell OH in no uncertain terms that his attitude to spending on things that you cannot afford is completely unacceptable.It's you that's suffering because of his actions.
    Let us know how you get on with phoning the council.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Housing are totally fine with the payment Tuesday and then Friday as agreed next week. I haven't told OH this :o I want him to wake up and realise what he's doing. Who knows when he'll 'grow up'

Anyway I can't change him I guess and just have to focus on changing myself to make things better where I can.

Kids are being fed at mums today and will be for breakfast tomorrow, I've lifted mince out the freezer and will make spag bold for me and OH tonight and enough for him to take to work for lunch tomorrow.

This leaves the stores empty. Like really empty :o but it means I can shop tomorrow with a list and plan and stick to it.

Need to put £25 on electric and £20 on gas. (£17 a week is taken from each meter to recover debt) using the slow cooker everyday this week rather than the gas cooker has meant we've used around £1.70 in gas this week. The heating is set at 16° is I doubt it's been much if at all. Me and OH and DS shower which is electric only the girls have a bath and obviously the washing up.
    We've used around £10 in electric but this includes 5 extra loads of washing and ironing I did for my mum.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Morning
    I hope you get things sorted out today.
    I don't know a lot about it but I think EE is right about looking into claiming Disability Living Allowance for the wee one. It seems like you need every penny you can get and if you are entitled to it you should claim it. If her team have suggested it I think there must be a fair chance that you are entitled.
    Also (and I don't mean to be rude) you have to tell OH in no uncertain terms that his attitude to spending on things that you cannot afford is completely unacceptable.It's you that's suffering because of his actions.
    Let us know how you get on with phoning the council.

Thank you we have a big meeting Monday with youngest consultant and team. I will discuss the dla with them and see what they think.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great that housing have agreed. Are you going to try Aldi for your shopping?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Great that housing have agreed. Are you going to try Aldi for your shopping?

We are going to go to Aldi tonight for shopping :) I've done the spag bol today in the slow cooker so we can't be tempted to pick up extras/something easy to have this evening. OH will be home around 7 so would be easy to be tempted.

OH is working tomorrow morning 6-2 so I'll get my jobs done early while he's at work and littles are at mums.
    She's unofficially invited me and the kids to join her at the caravan the first week of half term. This might not come too on her part but I'm unsure I can commit on my half too. :cool: stupid thinking about going away when my situations like it is :cool: :o However it isn't as bad as it sounds. It's 6 days out of the half term the kids can be entertained for free. Swimming/entertainment etc is all free :money:

We will travel in her car and she will do the weeks shop etc. All food will be in the caravan. We've been several times and never been tempted to pay prices of food on site.

She will expect me to offer around £50? Which is obviously very fair towards the costs of fuel/gas/food etc. So we'll see. It will save money at home as no food shop will be required OH can fend for himself and eat at work/friends. The house will be empty 5am-7pm probably later if he attends friends meaning less electric and gas used. Also taking into account I'd have the 3 kids home full days meaning they'd need lunch etc from home if we where to say no.

So confused :o :rotfl: everything at the wrong time I think :rotfl:
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Morning HI :)

That's a lovely offer from your mum and does sound like good value overall, but why not think on it over the next week - get the rent stuff sorted out first before you commit to spending more money. Or be really open with your mum about how tight things are at the moment, maybe she would decide to treat you to the week without you needing to make a contribution this time? (You can always do something for her later in the year when you are back on your feet).

Have you told your OH anything about the rent situation? I know that you have it all under control but I would be really tempted to tell him how much you are worrying and what the consequences of missing the payment might be (i.e. eviction!) and let him worry about it for a few days. You are doing such an amazing job of balancing your budgets, it doesn't sound like your OH has to deal with the consequences of his overspending at all and he doesn't have a real deterrent not to spend on tools again. (He's not the one making the calls to get extra time for the rent payment, for example.) I'm a bit worried that your OH is spending so much on tools, cigs and potentially has smaller loans from friends that you aren't aware of. Would he actually be able to stick to a food shopping budget while you were away with the kids, or would be overspend on that as well? You really are superwoman with the amount of budget juggling you are doing but you can't do everything by yourself, your OH has to be on the same page with budgeting otherwise you'll keep having shortfalls in the budget.

Exploring Disability Living Allowance for your youngest is a great shout. I know that there is a lot of paperwork but it is well worth it.

Good luck with ebay and the ALDI shop. I switched to ALDI a couple of months ago and I can't believe how great they are :) I'm converting everyone I know over to them!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Things sound like they're picking up a bit, which is great.

Well worth the chat about the dla and I agree that if you're entitled to it, claim it! It'll help you no ends.

Glad that the housing were ok with regard to the payments and I think weekly will help masses with your budgetting.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Morning HI :)

That's a lovely offer from your mum and does sound like good value overall, but why not think on it over the next week - get the rent stuff sorted out first before you commit to spending more money. Or be really open with your mum about how tight things are at the moment, maybe she would decide to treat you to the week without you needing to make a contribution this time? (You can always do something for her later in the year when you are back on your feet).

Have you told your OH anything about the rent situation? I know that you have it all under control but I would be really tempted to tell him how much you are worrying and what the consequences of missing the payment might be (i.e. eviction!) and let him worry about it for a few days. You are doing such an amazing job of balancing your budgets, it doesn't sound like your OH has to deal with the consequences of his overspending at all and he doesn't have a real deterrent not to spend on tools again. (He's not the one making the calls to get extra time for the rent payment, for example.) I'm a bit worried that your OH is spending so much on tools, cigs and potentially has smaller loans from friends that you aren't aware of. Would he actually be able to stick to a food shopping budget while you were away with the kids, or would be overspend on that as well? You really are superwoman with the amount of budget juggling you are doing but you can't do everything by yourself, your OH has to be on the same page with budgeting otherwise you'll keep having shortfalls in the budget.

Exploring Disability Living Allowance for your youngest is a great shout. I know that there is a lot of paperwork but it is well worth it.

Good luck with ebay and the ALDI shop. I switched to ALDI a couple of months ago and I can't believe how great they are :) I'm converting everyone I know over to them!

My mum is amazing in that she won't mind if I can't contribute, although I would feel like I'm taking advantage. In her eyes me going along is actually easier for her than her taking the older two kids alone, she's getting a bit old for climbing in soft play and water slides :p

OH believes we can't meet the rent payment :o (which in a way is true! I want him to sweat about it and see what he comes up with? ) although if it's anything like before he really doesn't let it bother him. I'm the one who attended court to beg for the eviction to be suspended and arrangement to pay even though it was his 'fault' we gained the arrears.

I'm going to speak to him about his wages and see if he'll either swap them to pay direct into my bank and I will transfer him an 'allowance' that we can't really afford however a big improvement on this week. Also speak to him about having the right to cash out tools etc before his wage is in and ask them to remove his account.
    Things sound like they're picking up a bit, which is great.

Well worth the chat about the dla and I agree that if you're entitled to it, claim it! It'll help you no ends.

Glad that the housing were ok with regard to the payments and I think weekly will help masses with your budgetting.

I hope so. It will mean I'll have £150ish into my account a week. That will cover rent gas and electric and DS school lunch. So worst happens we won't be homeless or sat in the dark and cold! Xx
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I just had another thought, are you registered on any survey sites? They are a good way to make a little bit of extra money and occasionally I've been sent free products to test (washing up liquid and washing powder). I mainly use MySurvey and Ipsos I-Say and I've made £40 so far.

Focus Groups are also a good one for extra cash. I have done 4 this year on topics from personal loans to cinemas. The average payment has been around £50 (I did one last week that was £70 though) and they are usually very interesting. The groups I'm registered with are:
    Focus Group 7
    Focus For Research
    Trend Market Research
    People For Research
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business