Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    jen_1278 wrote: »
    Hi, Wondering if anyone could advise me if i've done the right thing:

My friend, who is registered blind, my two children and myself are going to Tain in October for a week, leaving from glasgow Queen Street. I got many quotes from different sites and even the train station, all were over £100. However, today i went onto East Coast rail website, and got a return ticket for the 4 of us for just £68..! booked immediately but when they emailed the conf, it's booked under club55...my friend and I are only 32, but he has a disabled card which allows him a companion for a discounted rate (he is free) I definitely ticked the disabled rail card but we still got it for £17 each return under this club! Does anyone know if club55 also includes disabled passengers, of any age? :)

Oh dear, it seems you were blinded by the price. When you click on the £68 fare it clearly states that this is a "Club 55 Senior Standard" ticket. It also states that it is "Valid for return ... with senior railcard." Clicking on the "i" button brings up more information: Club 55 Senior is available to anyone with a Senior Railcard or a Disabled Railcard provided the holder is 55 or over.

A full refund is available for this ticket, although an administration charge may be payable. I'm not sure why East Coast website gives the option of the railcard ticket for all passengers, when you specify only 2 adults travelling on a railcard.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • jen_1278
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I went back and double checked i had put through the ticket order correctly, i definitely ticked disabled railcard only and it's definitely booked under club 55. Yikes, I'll take a trip to the train station tomorrow and try sort it out!

Thank you again :T
  • jen_1278
    Options
    me again, my own stupid fault, just realised what I did, you were right airliebird, i was blinded by the price :mad:
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter has a 16-25 railcard so I'm trying to book her a ticket from Newcastle to Doncaster on Friday 7th October anytime after about 14:15 so I am trying to book through First Trans Penine as students get 50% off but all I keep getting after I choose the journey details is this:

Sorry, please check the details you have entered

We have been unable to offer a promotion on this request, because of the following reason(s):

• The Journey details, dates or times entered aren't valid for this promotion. Please check the promotion's terms and conditions.
    You can either change your journey requirements to meet the promotional conditions or view bookings that are available with your chosen details.

Anyone any idea why? What am I doing wrong?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Snapelover wrote: »
    My daughter has a 16-25 railcard so I'm trying to book her a ticket from Newcastle to Doncaster on Friday 7th October anytime after about 14:15 so I am trying to book through First Trans Penine as students get 50% off but all I keep getting after I choose the journey details is this:

Sorry, please check the details you have entered

We have been unable to offer a promotion on this request, because of the following reason(s):

• The Journey details, dates or times entered aren't valid for this promotion. Please check the promotion's terms and conditions.
    You can either change your journey requirements to meet the promotional conditions or view bookings that are available with your chosen details.

Anyone any idea why? What am I doing wrong?
    I think the problem is that FTPE do not run services from Newcastle to Doncaster, and that 50% off for 16-25 railcard holders offer is for FTPE services only.

Looks like FTPE's journey planner is becoming confused.

If, when presented with that screen, you click to continue then you will see an Advance Single for £13.20 which is the standard third off that that railcard offers. Tickets at that price are available on the 14:33 departure.
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to Manchester on Thursday from Yeovil Somerset

Can someone please tell me if Club 55 tickets are only valid from Wales?

Thanks
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2011 at 7:36PM
    Options
    I'm going to Manchester on Thursday from Yeovil Somerset

Can someone please tell me if Club 55 tickets are only valid from Wales?

Thanks

Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) Club 55 tickets are only valid on the ATW Network but you can buy Add-ons / Extensions for other Train Companies, these are also shown on the ATW network map.

Edit: It seems that some Add-ons / Extensions ain't publicised on the ATW Club 55 Network Map
    ie: in the case WaxiesDargle, Yeovil Pen Mill not on the ATW Network but part of the ATW Club 55 First Great Western Add-on. So my advice if your after an ATW club 55 ticket & add-on then best enquire at your local railway station to see if your station is covered by an Add-on.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • james2005
    james2005 Posts: 299 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2011 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Hello, I am travelling with my son from Redruth to Littlehampton with a friends and family rail card and I am strugglng with split ticketing and how to get the best price, obviously it doesnt have to be split ticketing but just the cheapest way of getting there and back please

I would be most gratefuil if you could help please.

I am travelling Thursday 20th October after 3.20pm and returning the following Tuesday (no set time)

I can be flexible if it means coming back another day for a cheaper ticket.

So far I have been quoted £67.20
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    james2005 wrote: »
    Hello, I am travelling with my son from Redruth to Littlehampton with a friends and family rail card....<snip>....So far I have been quoted £67.20

Best I found after a quick search is £66.30 Off Peak Return Via Salisbury, from the East Coast Website. Just watch out for the return journey on Tues 25th as there's a bus service between Plymouth and St Austell.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • james2005
    Options
    Thanks for this, I dont suppose you know if there is a particular time I can come back that will avoid the bus issue
    Best I found after a quick search is £66.30 Off Peak Return Via Salisbury, from the East Coast Website. Just watch out for the return journey on Tues 25th as there's a bus service between Plymouth and St Austell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure