Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking at financials first thing on a Saturday morning is never a good idea!

Tried to sort work pension and also checked student loan which I think will never be gone!

Today's plan

1) Go through cc and update snowball calculator s/sheet
    2) Put money to one side as used cc for spends to get points
    3) Buy car insurance
    4) Do SOA for January onwards
    5) Go into town for small business day, will return library books whilst carpark free! :D
    6) Read and submit meter readings
    + normal weekend mix of housework and fun!!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    edited 7 December 2014 at 9:59PM
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Looking at financials first thing on a Saturday morning is never a good idea!

Tried to sort work pension and also checked student loan which I think will never be gone!

Today's plan

1) [STRIKE]Go through cc and update snowball calculator s/sheet[/STRIKE]
    2) Put money to one side as used cc for spends to get points
    3) [STRIKE]Buy car insurance[/STRIKE]
    4) [STRIKE]Do SOA for January onwards[/STRIKE]
    5) [STRIKE]Go into town for small business day, will return library books whilst carpark free![/STRIKE] :D
    6)[STRIKE] Read and submit meter readings[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]+ normal weekend mix of housework and fun![/STRIKE]!

Well that was a super busy weekend! I actually managed to start wrapping presents last night aswell although the momentum hasn't continued. I have got a 1000 piece jigsaw for DD and I to do together each evening and think it will definitely take us until Christmas. I do have one of those jigsaw mats but not convinced just how safe and secure it will be wrapped up! :eek:

Have made a big decision to amend our mortgage OP. To summarise, we did lots of home improvements then I re-trained so dropped salary and childcare costs went through the roof so OP's took a backseat. When we remortgaged the term sadly went back over the 25 year term but in my mind we were on the 15 years ish remaining term. So currently our repayments including OP are for the mortgage over just over 15 years. We are on a really good 2.99 fixed rate and I really wanted to maximise OP's where we can. DH has had a £100 a month payrise and my pay has increased too, nursery fees will reduce slightly after Christmas so this saving needs to be directed at the mortgage. :)

The new repayment actually includes a £3 a month OP but when I entered it onto spreadsheet it was taking too long to knock any time off and I got bored!! :D
  • CathT
    edited 8 December 2014 at 7:48AM
    Options
    Morning - just 17 sleeps!!

Checked accounts and 'found' £12 in a bills account so transferred to current acc as had gone slightly OD. Made a 59p Tilly tidy then transferred the rest to the cc bills account ready for repayment.

I think I definitely need to keep this focus where I focus on literally every penny and hope for snowball repayments rather than snowball spends!
    Most things are bought for Christmas now although we will have big food shop to do but will not be tempted by delicious goodies we don't need!

Am a bit disappointed that the Christmas craft I ordered and paid for which was guaranteed by the 1st has not arrived and no contact from seller. I messaged her craft page and text the mobile on the page but no repsonse. Am hoping she is just to busy to check and is working on the orders but time is ticking on!
  • CathT
    Options
    Have a much needed day off tomorrow! Am feeling pretty exhausted, time of year I guess? Lots going on at work and home life is busier than ever as well so Christmas break will be a welcome breather. Children are equally as shattered and the youngest wants to stay at home at the moment rather than going to nursery.

Busy day tomorrow, quick coffee with a friend planned, cleans house (preferably before the catch up!!) watch dd Christmas play then am off out for the evening with some former colleagues.

Currently have cheeky midweek glass of wine in hand and an evening catching up with tv with DH. Might be just what I need!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well, the day hasn't quite gone to plan. DS started vomiting followed by DD! So all plans changed and we have all stayed home! DD has really perked up but DS not so good. Lethargic, flushed and generally not himself.

Money news? Petrol was cheaper at the pump today so I put less in and food shop came in at just under £35. We will need to top up (with wine) at some point though. Also picked up a paper as Ald1 have a £15 off £75 voucher that can be used up until Christmas Eve. Current account also in credit which is wonderful news the day before payday!!
  • CathT
    Options
    At a typically expensive time of year, I am feeling surprisingly positive about money! :D I wonder if this is due to getting out of overdraft and starting to OP mortgage (albeit slightly) again. Last year was so hard financially with some regrets about spending so much on our home but now we can look forward and enjoy it!

At some point today I want to sort out my 2015 diary and perhaps make some monthly goals. Be nice to see the balances come down, even if it's just in a plan!! :D
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just popping by to say hello and have a lovely weekend :)
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks for popping in BW :hello:

Busy, busy here and once again am ready for the weekend. Trying to keep spends low but keep remembering people I haven't bought presents for (have remembered one more this evening - my sister!!!) How awful of me!!

Still have a bit of wrapping to do so that really needs to be done tomorrow so it doesn't eat into Friday night wine!! :beer: DH popping to buy reserved items from @rgos tomorrow and will pop to £££ shop to search for cheaper tablecloths. Am so unprepared for Christmas lunch, haven't planned it at all so the 'big shop' may be rather minimal.

Accounts looking ok(ish) and have done a few tilly tidies so balance going in the right direction.
  • CathT
    edited 18 December 2014 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Didn't wrap the presents, have about 8 to do! I shall do them with wine tomorrow. House is a mess again, at least the breakfast bar keeps the dining table fairly clear :mad:

DH will kindly do the food shop after work tomorrow to use up our £15 @ldi voucher. Hopefully will be less manic in there than when I finish, especially if I get stuck in holiday traffic. An early dart tomorrow would be good.

Accounts tidied and some money sent to 0% card. Hopefully WIOTW figure will be noticeably different in Jan especially as mortgage payment been increased by about £140 :j
  • CathT
    Options
    Payday and money moved about. Leaves us with a small amount of cash but I'd rather things were paid off! Activities we are doing this weekend have already been paid for, so - in theory it shouldn't be an expensive time!

DH had some good overtime pay so that has been transferred to account ready to pay CC.

I seem particularly focused at the moment! <whispers> may have something to do with the new build we have seen and would quite like to buy!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback