PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks zippychick for the August challenge.
    Sainsburys have kindly sent me £36 of vouchers (£9 x 4) if I go back to shop with them for the next few weeks. Of course, I shall as that is free money to stock up with.

Mmm, I think I'm about due some of these too. They are useful aren't they, although sometimes I struggle to make up the necessary spend with just the items I need. When that's the case I look to see what their offers are on basics to replenish the cupboards.

Still posting in July for another week but please put me down for £200 for August (the dreaded 5-week month for me), groceries only as toiletries and cleaning/household items have their own budgets. The plan is to spend as little as possible and concentrate on stores for meals as we go on holiday soon. The holiday is paid for and we have spending money but a bit more wouldn't go amiss so that's my incentive. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • B17c
    B17c Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello! Please may I join?? My budget is £60 for the month... I HAVE to clear my debt and try to save a little by May/June next year! I've just signed a contract for a second job today so I'm going to try to hammer the poop out of my debt! I'm ashamed at myself for letting it get this bad... :(
    Credit Card Debt:[STRIKE]£12991[/STRIKE] £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's been a while since I've done this. Can you please put me down for £200 please.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Graciefields
    Options
    Please can you add me to this? I have tried before and failed. It's just me, the cat and the puppy. Not sure how much to put but will try for £25 per week. £125 per month. This includes all groceries, dog and cat food, toiletries and cleaning products.

Good luck everyone.

Hope I can make it this time.

Gracie
    Barclay Card £3600 [STRIKE]HSBC CC £2587[/STRIKE] ZERO
    Total CC Debt [STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE]£7755[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    COLOR="Red"]$[STRIKE]7151[/STRIKE][/COLOR] £6487
    November 2018 GC £25Pw/£100Pm Nov Grocery Challenge £83.56/£100 Dec GC £95.64/£125Jan 2019 GC COLOR="Red"]64.86/£125[/COLOR] Feb GC COLOR="DarkRed£100.43/]£125[/COLOR]March GC OR="Red"]145.00/125[/COLOR]
    April GC £130/£125 Aug GC £72.71/£100
  • YorksLass
    Options
    B17c wrote: »
    I HAVE to clear my debt and try to save a little by May/June next year! I've just signed a contract for a second job today so I'm going to try to hammer the poop out of my debt! I'm ashamed at myself for letting it get this bad... :(

:hello: Welcome and please don't be ashamed, we've probably all been there at some stage. At least you're acknowledging there is a problem and trying to do something about it.
    I have tried before and failed. Hope I can make it this time. Gracie

:hello: Another welcome - if at first you don't succeed ....

Keep following this thread for encouragement and other threads (e.g. Love Food Haste Waste, Cooking for One, Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge for hints & tips, ideas, how others do it etc.
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't posted in years but circumstances mean I'm struggling with debt and need to save where I can. Going to give the grocery challenge a go! Please put me down for £180 for the month. That's for food, toiletries and cleaning stuff for me, OH, DS1 and 2 but not counting pet stuff.
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • YorksLass
    Options
    :hello: Welcome emmwri. It's nice to "meet" newbie / returner posters to the thread.

As expected, I got some Sainsbobs vouchers in the post but not the ones Matron Midge got. Mine are £3 off a shop (no minimum spend) and two for extra loyalty points which, for once, are on items that I normally buy anyway. So, a good beginning for this month's challenge.

:question: What do others do with the cash saved by using a money-off coupon? Do you keep it in your grocery cash, do you move it to another pot (e.g. holidays, treats etc) or does it just "disappear" into the ether? :think:
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all ...

I've been off the wagon for way-too-long, so let me crawl back on.

This coming month is going to be challenging as DH has just ripped (literally) out the kitchen, so I'm going to have to make a "camp kitchen" to keep us going until we've bought and fitted a new one!

I have a slow cooker and a steamer, so that will cover most options. But no microwave (which is what I did have last time he ripped the kitchen out for 6 months (different house!)).

Not setting a budget to begin with.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    £100 for me please, lots of other bills due
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hello all
    I have a few guests again this month so can I be put down for £170 again please, will also have to include a treat dinner for my birthday that i'm cooking for a few friends, luckily it won't have to cover booze :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure