Noddle

Options
Anyone else had an email form Noddle asking for credit card verification?
Anyone else done it yet?
I'm holding off until I'm sure it's legit.

Comments

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    if unsure contact your card issuer?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    yes I have, fully active and working
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mitch - I don't see how my card issuer can help.
    They can't tell me whether the email or link is genuine.
    They can't tell me whether this company will charge me when they say they won't and it's just for id purposes.

Sounds like it's legit, so I will try it and let you know how I get on.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Did you register on their website to obtain access when they rolled out the trial into full operation?

The credit card allows them to confirm you are 1) over 18 and 2) match the name and address you are giving them to the name and address on your credit card statement (at the bank and if possible on your credit report, with both the monthly data and public data like the electroal roll), which is a bog standard form of ID verification done by many many companies these days. This stops other people from registering and getting hold of your credit file and is what allows instant access.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Yes, I signed up for the trial.
    I don't generally click on links from emails but this one had a sepcial referral id for the free trial so I can't go direct to the website as I'll lose the deal.
    which is a bog standard form of ID verification done by many many companies these days
    Thanks, that's reassuring to know.
  • Degenerate
    Degenerate Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Yes, I signed up for the trial.
    I don't generally click on links from emails but this one had a sepcial referral id for the free trial so I can't go direct to the website as I'll lose the deal.

You need to look at where the link is pointing to - as long as it's direct to noddle.co.uk it should be fine. How to check depends on what email client you're using, eg I use Thunderbird and all I have to do is hover my mouse pointer over a link and it shows the destination in the status bar.
  • lisyloo
    edited 15 July 2011 at 9:00AM
    Options
    The link isn't to noddle, it's to callcreditcheck.
    My general rule is to never click links and go direct.
    Your approach in theory is good, but a minor spelling difference could take you to a fake website so you have to be really really careful with that approach.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    ... a sepcial referral id for the free trial ...
    Are you sure this is a free trial for Noddle? I wonder if the link is to a trial for the pay service?

Noddle is a new free service from Callcredit, as explained in the MSE link I posted above. The kickoff link from Noddle to register led to https://www.callcreditcheck.com

This page https://www.noddle.co.uk/about-us explains that Noddle is part of Callcredit.
  • lisyloo
    edited 15 July 2011 at 10:15AM
    Options
    Are you sure this is a free trial for Noddle?
    From the email - YES.

It's from Noddle.
    Subject is "Noddle next steps".
    Here's the content (link edited).

I have emailed them and they have assured me I won't be charged (via the link).

We emailed you a few days ago to let you know that we'd be starting to bring customers into the Noddle trial and we'd love you to come and join us now.
    So what do you need to do?
    As we said in our earlier email during the trial we're going to use our existing tried and tested Callcredit Check verification process and we'll take you through this process initially before your Noddle account is opened.
    Simply click on the link below and this will take you straight to the Callcredit Check sign up page.
    https://www.callcreditcheck.com/
    Your Noddle credit report is free, however, as part of our sign up process you will be asked to provide credit card details - please be reassured this will be used solely as part of our strict verification processes and you will not be charged for your credit report. Your application summary will also show a transaction value of £12, this is a default setting and doesn't apply to you as a Noddle customer.
    What will happen next?
    Once you've successfully verified your identity and accessed your credit report we'll send you your personal password to access your Noddle account.
    For a small number of people, it's possible that we won't be able to match your credit report immediately because of the high levels of security that we have to put in place to ensure that we only make a credit report available to the correct person. If this does happen, you'll receive an email from us explaining why this might be and what will happen next. As soon as you've completed any additional verification requirements and accessed your report, we'll set-up your Noddle account.
    If you've any questions or concerns about this email, please get in touch with us at [EMAIL="contact@noddle.co.uk"]contact@noddle.co.uk[/EMAIL] and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
    We look forward to welcoming you to our new service.
    The Noddle Team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport