'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Options

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Guys! :wave:

I read 'She Means Business' by Carrie Green.

It's pretty good.

I'm about 2/3 way through Game of Thrones by George R R Martin.

So far, so good...I only have another 6 to go to get me up-to-speed!

I hope you are all well. I feel as though I am reading all the time (internet) but rarely books nowadays!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lovely that people post on this thread from time to time:T, I'd hate it to just die out.

Me too! I think I need to make reading books a priority again.

I've just scanned through the last page of the thread to see my last post (a while ago :o) and I've realised that I've half red both of the books but finished neither! I had to return one to the library, but there's no reason why I can't finish the other one fairly quickly. This means I need to finish 'Daring Greatly' and 'Game of Thrones' post-haste.
    I'm having a massive blitz on 'clutter' although I don't truly consider it to be 'clutter' and that's why I'm having such issues with getting rid of it:o. This includes mountains of books which I know I'll never read again and which really need to go. OH is away this week so I've taken advantage of no interruptions (or grumbles) to drag out every book I can find and try to list/sell online or box up to take to charity. Of course, me being me, I keep getting sidetracked and find myself reading the hours away:o.

I hear ya, sister!
    Finding this book has given me an added impetus to get on with my decluttering as I'm rewarding myself with a 30 minute read for every 3 hours 'work';).

Ooh, now that's quite a good idea! I may have to adopt a similar work/reward pattern. :cool:
    I've had no end of computer and internet connection issues this past few months:mad:. Instead of freeing up more time to read I found I was forever faffing about trying to get and stay online. I was in a bad mood much of the time (didn't realised how much my life depends on the internet:o) and I just couldn't get in the right frame of mind to get stuck into a book.

Honestly, I spend so much time on t'internet it's not even funny! I've had to commute to work instead of drive this past fortnight, which has given my time I wouldn't normally have for reading otherwise heaven only knows where I would have found the time!
    blindtoast wrote: »
    I've got Bridget Jones Baby lined up as my next read I think so that should be a quicker one and get me back on target! :)

I think I read this. It's the one where she notices the owl at the beginning and end of the book, right?
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• blindtoast
    blindtoast Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    I've been plodding through books recently. Some better than others. At the moment I'm reading Gena/Finn which I'm enjoying. The whole book is messages - e-mail/letter/text/blog/IM etc. Makes it a pretty quick read.
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
  • blindtoast
    Options
    I finished Gena/Finn this morning. Unexpected ending but I enjoyed it and love the format its written in
    Target for 2018 = 7/21

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've gone back to a few books I started but never finished so I hope to have a few books to list here shortly. :)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• blindtoast
    Options
    Still plodding rather than storming through books. A couple of graphic novels and a Dr Seuss collection have helped to up my read number but I'm still part way through 3 different books - trying to get them finished before I go on to anything else :)
    Target for 2018 = 7/21

• Viking_mfw
    Viking_mfw Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh this is just the thread I need! So many unread books - and hundreds more my husband brought with him when he moved in 18 months ago. At the moment I'm rereading a lot of old !!!! Francis thrillers though - brain too dead to read anything new!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lovely to see the post being resuscitated, it would be such a pity to see it fizzle out:j:j. Sad to say, I've been very remiss posting for months and hope to remedy that from now on. Famous last words, eh?;)

My attempts to finish off reading all the books actually in my possession have hit the buffers:o. I have a sort of valid excuse because the mobile library has changed it's route and schedule and now visits my village twice a month on a Tuesday afternoon instead of once a month on a Saturday morning when I was never here. Not sure if it's good or bad as now I have ready access to lots of lovely free books (including anything from the county's library catalogue that I can order for collection from the van).

It means that the stash of unread books that I already own and which have languished unloved and unread for years (decades even in many cases:eek:) will probably remain that way for a good while yet.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Did not know this thread existed! I'm terrible for buying book that I still haven't read, have got a bit better with 'real' books but kindle daily deals are my downfall. Have been trying to read through my unread books in 2017 anyway - was aiming for one a month, am on my twelfth already, now to see how many I can get through before the end of the year.

Just trying to finish up with less unread books by January than I had last January.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been doing really badly with my reading the last few months but hoping that will start to change shortly.

The one thing I'm gutted about is that I used to put my read books I didn't want to keep on readitswapit but the site's gone down. I also had a load of books on my wishlist I wanted to read and now lost that as well. Might be just as well though seeing as I'm struggling to get through the books I already have :o Luckily most of them are on my kindle :rotfl:
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback