We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    are there any "goody two shoes " that survived both full term amongst us ??:D

Nope. :p

I was in the cubs, but graduation to the scouts was postponed. I was geared-up to join, but then something happened which made me reconsider....

The scouts took us older cubs out for the day to Exmoor, where I went exploring and found a bomb down a culvert. I did my duty and informed one of the older boys, who didn't tell the scoutmaster as I expected, but immediately decided to requisition the bomb. I was told to shut up about it....or else!

Some of the older scouts managed to pick up the bomb unobserved and hide it in the lorry we'd all come in. It wasn't huge, but it was big enough to worry me. Even though water came out of it, I really didn't fancy riding back in a bouncy lorry with it! :(

Travelling home at the end of the day, I probably flinched every time we went over a bump. The scoutmaster wasn't with us in the back and still knew nothing. However, the unpopular scoutmaster's son was waiting on the outskirts of the town for us, and as he pedalled after us on his bike, the older kids thought it would be a laugh to push the bomb off the lorry in front of him.....so they did!! :eek:

Scoutmaster's son, being little Mr Perfect, just steered around the bomb, which bounced and lost its tail. The rest of it rolled into the car park, where it lay against the hedge for some days. By then, even I realised it was a dud, probably used for army training.

Anyway, having been scared witless by the Big Lads and having had a bucketful of that already as a first year at the grammar school, I decided that I could live without Scouting for Boys, though I certainly had the book. :p
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Who's growing shark fin melons this year? I think it was IMH, who kindly gave me the seed, sorry if not, I deleted all the pm's.:o My 2 are about 15" long so far, but the weather hasn't been kind to them.
    How are others doing?

It was RAS who distributed them. ;)

I have about 6 surviving, but had to weigh them down with bits of wood in the wind. I suppose the longest is about 6', but I wouldn't say any of them have romped away yet. One or two fruit forming.:)

Anyone growing my fast tomatoes? They're bloody slow this year! :rotfl:I might have one ready to eat on Saturday. That's exactly 3 weeks late. :(
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, sorry. I missed that post or I would have replied. :o
    No, definitely wasn't me, Lotus.
    (Thanks for picking up on it, Dave :T)
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It was RAS who distributed them. ;)

I have about 6 surviving, but had to weigh them down with bits of wood in the wind. I suppose the longest is about 6', but I wouldn't say any of them have romped away yet. One or two fruit forming.:)

Anyone growing my fast tomatoes? They're bloody slow this year! :rotfl:I might have one ready to eat on Saturday. That's exactly 3 weeks late. :(
    Oops, sorry, RAS, i knew I remembered wrongly.

No fruit forming on mine yet. Mind you, that could be because I grew them on old sites of compost heaps and after I had planted them I read how you shouldn't plant them on too rich soil, as they will just grow plant growth and no fruit. Ho hum, long way till the end of the season though :D

I'm growing a plant of your fast ones Dave, it's further along than my other ones, which means it's only 4 weeks off producing eatable fruit :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options
    This is your 5 minute warning. :eek:

Type fast if you want to say anything to anyone before the site closes for maintenance at 10.30 .....ish ;)
  • covenanter
    covenanter Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Just managed to catch up after being away on holiday. Really sorry to hear about pet losses/illnesses and financial/building/van problems. What with the weather being 'carp' too it sounds like a rough time for many.
    We've recently got back from NW Yorks., luckily holiday cottage was at the top of a steep hill, otherwise we'd have been flooded. I feel for the folks up there and those in the North East after the storms yesterday. Hope everyone else has managed to batten down the hatches. Let's just forget 'flaming' June and look forward to a decent July.

Off now to do my tax return (oh, deep joy).:eek:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    The chicks have made their first excursion from the confines of the coop this morning, though they are still sheltering under mother hen. :)

She seems glad to be outside after weeks of almost total confinement.

I think it's interesting that she only came outside to poo whilst incubating the eggs, and that she didn't go at all inside.

If only we could train the others to do that, all the time! :rotfl:
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    I was chucked out of the guides and the scouts :D

Well, sort of, I was chucked out of a guide camp at 2am on a mixed camp and then asked to leave the scouts when we got home :)
    My Mum went loopy.
    Totally worth it though :D
    Oh Lotus-eater, that night was so special!

But you left and I never saw you again :(

002-2.jpg
    a%3E
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave, my toms have got to be at least two weeks away :(
  • Davesnave
    Options
    rhiwfield wrote: »
    Davesnave, my toms have got to be at least two weeks away :(

That must be a bit inconvenient when it comes to watering...:p
    I well remember the week when half our plants were still 100miles up the M5.

But thanks, you've made me feel better. :A

Just shows what a rubbish year this has been. Last year's toms were grown in our old home-made tunnel with no doors on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure