The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Wow, 70 years of marriage - I love to hear of couples who've been married so long. I expect that once the wife died, the husband felt that he could 'go' as well, as he no longer needed to look after her.

I like the thought of being RT's decluttering inspiration..... although no personal decluttering has happened at all today.

I've again been listing my friends things on eBay. I've got about 4 things of hers left to do, but I've called a halt, as the remaining things are items that need a lot of packing. If they sold and I had to pack them along with all the other potential sales, it'd be too much.

I'll list those items next week.

Apart from eBaying, I did a bit of housework and we went out for a short walk, but it's very cold out there.

Tomorrow, I hope to start my own decluttering again. I'm keen to get it done, and then at some point this year I can feel I haven't got anything to do but relax!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    But will that day ever come? There is always something that needs doing!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    But will that day ever come? There is always something that needs doing!

That is so true.

And the more time you have, the more things you find to do to fill it!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember, these are still the first days and weeks of you being retired - its a big adjustment, even though your job when you finished wasn't full time!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Goldie you will just swap decluttering for something else just slow down and treat yourself everyday.

Remember to say to yourself "no one is paying me so I can stop when ever I like". I do the "I will do whatever job it is for 1 hour then I am free" you are in charge now of the rest of your life there is always another page in the diary it doesn't all need to get done today.

I do feel I have to diary things though to give the week structure but they can always be crossed out and moved nothing is that important really.

It's early days enjoy every one of them xxxx
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • RoaringTwenties
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Wow, 70 years of marriage - I love to hear of couples who've been married so long. I expect that once the wife died, the husband felt that he could 'go' as well, as he no longer needed to look after her.

Do you know a lot of people observed that & I can totally understand why but actually I don't think it was the case, he was obviously devastated at her death but was also quite optimistic about his future, from moving into a new single room with a nice view to meeting his Australian great-grandson. In the end his body failed him, he got pneumonia. I like to think that if that hadn't been the case he'd have gone on forever! I know what you mean about long marriages, they are inspirational (& aspirational!)

Sorry for the thread hijack there!
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Do you know a lot of people observed that & I can totally understand why but actually I don't think it was the case, he was obviously devastated at her death but was also quite optimistic about his future, from moving into a new single room with a nice view to meeting his Australian great-grandson. In the end his body failed him, he got pneumonia. I like to think that if that hadn't been the case he'd have gone on forever! I know what you mean about long marriages, they are inspirational (& aspirational!)

Sorry for the thread hijack there!

That's such a shame that he should go when he felt that he still had things to do. But it's also encouraging that, even after losing his life partner, he still had hope for the future. Also inspirational.:)
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Remember, these are still the first days and weeks of you being retired - its a big adjustment, even though your job when you finished wasn't full time!
    Mint1955 wrote: »
    Goldie you will just swap decluttering for something else just slow down and treat yourself everyday.

Remember to say to yourself "no one is paying me so I can stop when ever I like". I do the "I will do whatever job it is for 1 hour then I am free" you are in charge now of the rest of your life there is always another page in the diary it doesn't all need to get done today.

I do feel I have to diary things though to give the week structure but they can always be crossed out and moved nothing is that important really.

It's early days enjoy every one of them xxxx

Very wise words from both KC and Mint.

When I went part time, I honestly thought I'd spend 3 days a week sitting on the sofa reading. In reality, it was very rare for me to read during the day.

I gradually found more and more things to do. In fact in the least six months or so, I had been getting a bit fed up, as I seemed to be doing something all the time, even extending into the evenings.

I've always been one to get things done, and not put it off until later.

Therefore, with my decluttering drive, I seem to have made a rod for my own back, as I feel the need to 'get it done'!

It's only 20th January, and really, when I look at it rationally, I haven't got a date that it MUST be finished by....... I can do it whenever, and it doesn't matter if it's not all done by the spring, the summer, the end of the year or any arbitrary date.

The thing with any new life is that you have to take your old self with you - you don't just change overnight!:rotfl:

Although I love not working, it will take a while for my mindset to change - I think I need to learn how to relax a bit!

With that in mind, I'm not doing anything much today.

We've done the supermarket shopping, I'm going to make some rolls in the bread maker, and make carrot and coriander soup for dinner, which is a new recipe for me. (It's soup night again)

I might have a look in a cupboard for decluttering, but it'll only be a quick look.
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really enjoy your diary Goldie, there are some really lovely posts and it always makes me smile :)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It going to be great when you really take it on board ... like being able to go to a local walk every day when the daffs start to come out, that sort of thing :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure