Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Options

Comments

• Pelican_2
    Pelican_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    As well as the advice gven, I think you have to be careful what you say to these cold callers. You told them you aren't interested YET. The all important "yet" means that you might be interested soon, and this is their invitation to come back. I bet they log who has expressed that they might be interested, and these people are targets for future visits.

Be cold and matter of fact at the door: I am not interested, thank you. And close the door whatever they might be starting to say.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I just say "thanks but no thanks, I make it a policy NEVER to buy from the door" then shut door
  • meeps
    meeps Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    when I was pregnant I got fed up lugging myself down the stairs to answe the door to sales people etc, and printed out a little note- 'please do not knock- no cold calling, energy suppliers, unrequested catalogues or religious devotees thank you' and I would say we have 80% less callers now. If they still knock I very pointedly look at my sign to check its still there.
    mind you 2 words that get rid of double glazers even faster than eff off, are 'we rent'!!
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Im going to put up a sign saying......

Unless you have an appointment do not knock - the dog doesnt bite but I do
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • dangeroussports
    dangeroussports Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    Thats actually not a bad idead. Alot of people would think your either being funny but that genuinely works.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    1jim wrote: »
    we got ours from the local police at a village fair where they had a stall
    to be honest they dont work, we still get as many cold callers and now I just get more peed off that they have ignored the sign rather than the cold call. Its pointless pointing out the sign because they all seem to think it doesnt apply to them:confused:

Thats the problem they are either pig ignorant/thick skinned and knock anyway, or illiterate bog trotter p1keys who can't read and want to stripe you flogging a brick/tarmac drive.

I just keep away from the front door like now having seen a diddycoy block paving van prowling the area
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a printd card on my door which simply says, "My dog eats cold callers, I finish what is left. SELLING? - NOT INTERESTED", I havent had any since, but boy are we hungry.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a double glazing salesman knock on my door this afternoon. I immediately said to him that I never buy anything off cold callers. He said he wasn't selling anything, he just wanted to give me a price list. I asked what was the point of that if I wasn't going to buy anything, to which he replied that that was a stupid attitude to take. My wife had joined me by then and told him we weren't interested. So he then walked away calling us "horrible people".

I don't think he would ever get a job in the Diplomatic Corps! I suppose it was at the end of the day, he hadn't made any sales and he was getting desperate to earn some commission.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you should have said "hang on, I DO want to buy......oh you said horrible, you can sod off"
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you in a Neighbourhood Watch area? If so your area coordinator will be able to get hold of the window stickers for you.

Also, if you are bothered by them then you for sure won't be the only one down your street. You can ask your co ordinator whether they think it's worth distributing these stickers to all houses on your patch and if residents are all telling the companies that they don't want to be disturbed in their own houses like this, the companies will soon get the message (there is nothing as disheartening as getting the door slammed in your face a few dozen times....)
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport